• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Need Help Grip Puppy Over Oxford Install

Frandemonium

Reaction score
Visit site
I installed one grip puppy over my left hand heated Oxford grip. That was a lot of work even with soapy water. It's beyond me how I'm going to fit the other one on the right side as there is a flange in the way. See photo. Any tips?

I watched a video where a guy used a long handled screwdriver to help get the grips on, but that's not possible here as I can't poke it out the other side and will end up tearing up the inside of the thing.

Attachments

• LeftGripPuppy.JPG
    LeftGripPuppy.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
  • RightGripPuppy.JPG
    RightGripPuppy.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 25
Have a look on YouTube - the Missenden Flyer fits some to his BMW and then the posts below add a whole range of additional suggestions on how best to get them on. Something there might be helpful.

I put mine in hot water and used a really good dollop of washing-up liquid. That worked. Another suggestion was to use an air compressor to help 'blow' down the side as you slide them on. I also tried this and it did seem to help.

I installed one grip puppy over my left hand heated Oxford grip. That was a lot of work even with soapy water. It's beyond me how I'm going to fit the other one on the right side as there is a flange in the way. See photo. Any tips?

I watched a video where a guy used a long handled screwdriver to help get the grips on, but that's not possible here as I can't poke it out the other side and will end up tearing up the inside of the thing.

I'm gonna see if I can borrow a long thin screwdriver and at least get it most of the way on. I am not paying my mechanic to do this!

I'm gonna see if I can borrow a long thin screwdriver and at least get it most of the way on. I am not paying my mechanic to do this!
Be careful if you use the screw driver. I see a lot of bad that could happen. I recommend using a lot of dish soap. Lube it up! Put it on fast, dripping, with forceful twisting (forward) motion. Grit your teeth and go for it!

Be careful if you use the screw driver. I see a lot of bad that could happen. I recommend using a lot of dish soap. Lube it up! Put it on fast, dripping, with forceful twisting (forward) motion. Grit your teeth and go for it!
After having done one puppy with the long, thin screwdriver and one without, I would unhesitatingly recommend doing it with the screwdriver.

I'm glad you got them installed. First, as you know, the Grip Puppies don't interfere with your heated grips. I install mine using an air compressor and shooting air in the outer end and pushing them on. I don't have to use soap, water, grease, or a screwdriver that may damage the Grip Puppy or hand grip on the bike. Once you get the air blowing in correctly, they push right on.

I used a method which required no screw drivers, compressed air lines or other tools and found it pleasantly simple to slide the grip puppies over the standard 2022 NC grips. First, I simply folded the grip puppy back on itself, i.e. turning it inside out so it is now half its original length. Then I applied a LITTLE WD40 to the outer half of the original grip (all the way round). You only need WD40 on the outer half of the original grip, not the entire length. Then the half-sized grip puppy slides quite easily onto the standard half lubricated grip with a rotating motion until the end of the grip puppy lines up with the end of the original grip. So now you have the half-sized puppy on the outer half of the original grip. Then simply unroll the folded back puppy over the rest of the dry grip. Et Voila! As there is only WD40 on the outer half of the grip, the inward half of the puppy grips firmly on to the original grip immediately. The WD40 quickly and easily evaporates through the other half of the grip puppy and thereafter the puppy is solidly on the grip with no slipping or sliding at all. I left my installation overnight before riding again and there was no trace of any WD40 affecting the grip.
The grip puppy is a 'one length fits all' deal and I found it a bit too long for the 2022 NC that I have so it is best to measure accurately before attempting the foregoing installation by offering the puppy up to the handlebar and seeing exactly how much you need to trim. Measure twice cut once! Trying to trim neatly after it is on will not be as easy. Scissors or box cutters work fine. I'd demonstrate all this with a video, but my puppies are already on and I'm leaving them in place, but I hope this explanation is clear enough and helps others.

I used a method which required no screw drivers, compressed air lines or other tools and found it pleasantly simple to slide the grip puppies over the standard 2022 NC grips. First, I simply folded the grip puppy back on itself, i.e. turning it inside out so it is now half its original length. Then I applied a LITTLE WD40 to the outer half of the original grip (all the way round). You only need WD40 on the outer half of the original grip, not the entire length. Then the half-sized grip puppy slides quite easily onto the standard half lubricated grip with a rotating motion until the end of the grip puppy lines up with the end of the original grip. So now you have the half-sized puppy on the outer half of the original grip. Then simply unroll the folded back puppy over the rest of the dry grip. Et Voila! As there is only WD40 on the outer half of the grip, the inward half of the puppy grips firmly on to the original grip immediately. The WD40 quickly and easily evaporates through the other half of the grip puppy and thereafter the puppy is solidly on the grip with no slipping or sliding at all. I left my installation overnight before riding again and there was no trace of any WD40 affecting the grip.
The grip puppy is a 'one length fits all' deal and I found it a bit too long for the 2022 NC that I have so it is best to measure accurately before attempting the foregoing installation by offering the puppy up to the handlebar and seeing exactly how much you need to trim. Measure twice cut once! Trying to trim neatly after it is on will not be as easy. Scissors or box cutters work fine. I'd demonstrate all this with a video, but my puppies are already on and I'm leaving them in place, but I hope this explanation is clear enough and helps others.
So I just installed some. On one side I tried the screwdriver method, on the other I used my air compressor. Both took about the same amount of time! So use what you have. In the past on other bikes I have used hairspray instead of soap, it worked too. Not sure if WD40 will hurt the foam as a petroleum solvent…

washing up liquid on the finger inside the grip.once the heat is on it soon dries..worked for me.

Back