• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Negative comments from others about DCT

42-buy what you want...when they ask how you like it...tell them you 'love' it...Remind them that Ford Moto is putting their version of the DCT in their new 2020 Mustang GT500...does it make it less of a car because it wont have a normal automatic transmission....I dont have a DCT because I like to manually shift.

if anyone teased me about the nc. just say, by the time it takes to adjust your valves, I will have adjusted mine, be 1000 miles away eating a steak dinner paid for with the money saved in gas. and if they still laugh, kick um in the balls and run.

Last edited:
First off, I hate to see anything other than constructive advice on here. We strive to do that to the best of our ability.

Second, buy the DCT! After reading your desires in a motorcycle, it seems like it would fit you nicely! Regardless of what other people say, you're the one that will ride it and enjoy it. You don't need to buy a bike to fit someone else's needs or opinions. I have read some on what snobby riders thing of the DCT before they ride it and after they ride it. Their tune usually changes for the better once they have actually ridden the bike.

I don't own the DCT, but was very close to buying one. I had some snide comments come my way when I mentioned to other riders that I was considering the DCT. I think people are just jumping to conclusions even when they know nothing about it. I ultimately chose the best deal out of the two, but if I'm being honest, I really want to get a DCT. I can see how fun and enjoyable it would be.

Final thoughts:

Buy the DCT! :D

Not to put too fine a point on it, look those negative family members and decide if you want to live your life exactly like they live theirs, because that’s the only way to keep them ‘happy’.

In July 2016 when the dct AT hit the market, motorcycle magazine did a review on 3 bikes.

Here is the link on a forum to the review.

BMW F800GS Adventure vs. Honda Africa Twin vs. Triumph Tiger 800 XCa - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum

I thought this was interesting from the review

“Oddly enough, it was the more seasoned and confident off-road riders who enjoyed using the auto-shifting function while less confident riders found it uninteresting. “. End quote

Btw, I have over 80k trouble free miles between 2 dct bikes the last 3.5 years. Clutch levers are for cave men [emoji23]

I attended a level 3 Adv class from dagroo in Oklahoma. Everyone in the class kind of poo pooed my dct during the intro meeting.

By the end of the class several came up to me with a changed mind on the dct.

Last edited:
Forty Two, I'm sorry to hear that all the negative feedback you're getting is causing self-doubt. I know that's not a good feeling. The decision, of course, is yours so I can't recommend a course of action for you, but I am heartbroken to think that these comments might cause you to give up on this life that we are all so passionate about. Motorcycling is not just something we do; it's who we are, and it's big, broad, and inclusive, with room for lots of different types of people, motorcycles, and riding styles.

To the members who wrote real constructive advice and ideas, I thank you for your kindness and understanding and your wish to help.

To the members who commented on my personality and the need to get pills...you read a few paragraphs and yet you think you know everything about my friends, family (it is mostly family causing the problems), or my life situation. How is your judgement any different than the people who judge the DCT? I hope that posting such comments made you feel clever because they served no other purpose.

I came here with the hope to receive real advice from others who may have faced the similar issues. If I wished to have my personality judged, I am sure that there is a nearby teenage hang-out that could serve that purpose.

Sorry 42 but I stand by my comments with regard to your friends. If they have not ridden a DCT bike they they are not qualified to advise on its qualities be they negative or positive.

Honda sells an accessory foot shifter for the NC700DCT, not sure about the NC750. I would put one of those on the bike and wire-tie a fake clutch cable to the handlebars.

Problem solved ;-)

Last edited:
To the members who wrote real constructive advice and ideas, I thank you for your kindness and understanding and your wish to help.

To the members who commented on my personality and the need to get pills...you read a few paragraphs and yet you think you know everything about my friends, family (it is mostly family causing the problems), or my life situation. How is your judgement any different than the people who judge the DCT? I hope that posting such comments made you feel clever because they served no other purpose.

I came here with the hope to receive real advice from others who may have faced the similar issues. If I wished to have my personality judged, I am sure that there is a nearby teenage hang-out that could serve that purpose.

In all fairness, your first post ended with the open question to this diverse audience, “Any thoughts?” You should expect a variety of “thoughts”, even some that you don’t like.

I first thought the question was about advice on purchasing an option for a motorcycle, now I see it appears more about dealing with family and friend problems.

Jeez, it’s just a transmission! I’m having trouble understanding why anyone but the buyer/rider would even care how the transmission operates. No one in my circle of friends and family would care one bit how the power gets transferred from the engine to the wheel on my motorcycles. Sometimes I don’t even care, as long as the motorcycle moves.

Last edited:
Hopefully my advice did not come across as offensive, but you sound like you value others opinions far too much, even to the point of sacrificing your own happiness. I agree the see a shrink and get some pills comment was unnecessary, but life isn't always sunshine and rainbows, and thus you must again, not pay attention to what a lot of people say. That's just life.

Now buy the DCT, report back and tell us how much you love it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

42, here's the deal.

Everyone that buys a motorcycle does a certain amount of analysis to determine what would be best for them. Sport bike, cruiser, ADV, etc. You've done the same here and like the NC. The DCT is part of that analysis.

If shifting annoys you and ruins your experience, why, for the love of Pete, would you possibly consider buying a manual shift? Because your friends don't think a DCT is cool? When did their opinions become more important to you than your own? I mean, seriously. Have enough confidence in yourself to look them in the eye when you tell them you love the DCT, you're an adult and made your own decision. If they still disagree, I doubt any of them will offer to pay for a bike for you that they approve of, but ask them to. My brother is one of those 200,000 mile plus riders and he jokingly gave me a bit of crap for buying an automatic, but it stopped as soon as it became obvious I didn't even slightly care about what he thought. I made my own decision and was happy with it.

FWIW, my first bike was a 2015 Kawasaki Versys. Great bike, but like you, I didn't really enjoy shifting (grew to hate it, actually, I have pain in my hands, plus it seemed like a constant chore) and determined the NC750X with the DCT would be just about perfect for me. Guess what? IT IS!! At this point I can't imagine a scenario where I would own a manual shift. I like it that much. I don't think about "managing" the bike, I just ride. For me, it's liberating. When I bought it, I pulled over and emailed the salesman before I was halfway home and told him I was already absolutely thrilled with it. It's not as quick as my Versys, but that doesn't matter when the Versys spent more time in the garage. I ride the NC a whole lot more. That's why you're buying a bike.

As others have already said, unless you point it out, most people will not even notice. So, stop giving a rats butt about what your friends think. I'm sure they'll still let you ride with them, and I'm willing to bet some of them will change their minds if you let them take it for a spin. Go buy the DCT, you won't look back.

Other riders are going to “look down” at you for having a Honda nc regardless of it being a dct or manual.

Once you accept that fact and realize their opinion doesn’t matter, your decision becomes a lot easier in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

they all called the honda deauville the most boring bike in fact its even called the Dullvill.
production span for 15 years doesnt that tell you something?
the NC in my opinion is a brilliant bike for old and the young.
I don't believe anyone can ride bike at the maximum on the road.
most are all straight line racers.
anyway riding a bike isn't all about speed its enjoyment ,relax riding which is the NC is all about.
I currently ride a tracer 900 but at some point I will return back to the NC.
don't take any notice of these naysayers.
its your money,your life and you only get one shot at it so make the most of it.

Coming in late, but this is one of my pet peeves... This thread falls into the "what's the best" category of questions. There isnt one. Go find one to ride and make your own educated decision based on your own practical knowledge. If you cant find one, find videos on youtube of riders (not journalists) who own one and watch it.

If none of your friends/family have ever ridden a DCT equipped motorcycle - their opinions are to be thrown out completely. They have no practical knowledge or experience. An opinion isnt gospel. And they are not all good.

Bottom line in all of this, the only opinion that matters is the one who pays the money. Go make your own mind up and forget about uneducated and stupid opinions.

I bought mine (2014 DCT) at the beginning of 2015 and have put more than 30k miles on it since. I love it, and my next bike (if ever that happens) will be a DCT as well (provided it comes with a DCT).

Forty Two - Buy a clutch lever, attach it to your DCT bike, and fake shift around those that are judging you.

And now you are being judged because of talking about your concerns of being judged!

I hope you do get the DCT but I won't judge you either way. Peace

I went back last night and told some of the opinionated people exactly what you guys said. My decision, my bike, my money. If I make a mistake and it turns out not to be the bike for me then it is my mistake to make and the consequences are mine to deal with. I will hear out their opinions but I will make my own choice. I know that the bike I am riding now, as much as it is a great starter bike, it is not for me in the long-term.

I put on the "mom voice" and posture that tells everyone that I mean business. I have had grown men shudder when they see it :)

Now I am just waiting to see what the 2020 has to offer before I buy either the 2020 or an earlier one.

If it were me; and the “my life, my money, my decision, to get my bike” went sour, yeah, I’d kick myself. Lightly.

But I’d feel a whole lot worse if I took the “my life, my money, but let someone else make my decision for me” approach and get “their” bike...and then have it go sour.

Hope your story has a happy ending! Remember, it’s YOUR story to write.:cool:

42 buy a good used one.new ones aren't worth it imo and I've had 5 of them.
I don't know what the tax are like in the usa but here its nearly a£1000.
so as soon as you take out the shop its gone plus what ever you lose from the dealer should you not like the bike.

Back