• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Negative comments from others about DCT

42 buy a good used one.new ones aren't worth it imo and I've had 5 of them.
I don't know what the tax are like in the usa but here its nearly a£1000.
so as soon as you take out the shop its gone plus what ever you lose from the dealer should you not like the bike.

I agree with you. I will most likely buy new if the 2020 is drastically better, or if I am able to get a good deal on a new bike from previous years. Sometimes the dealers just want to get rid of the old stock. Here, in Ontario, Canada, there is not a big price difference between used and new 750x DCTs. Most people hang onto theirs, I suppose.

I agree with you. I will most likely buy new if the 2020 is drastically better, or if I am able to get a good deal on a new bike from previous years. Sometimes the dealers just want to get rid of the old stock. Here, in Ontario, Canada, there is not a big price difference between used and new 750x DCTs. Most people hang onto theirs, I suppose.

This is very true in that market. I see people selling the "S" model for close to what I paid 4 years ago.

42....Buying motorcycles is fun. I know, I've bought WAY more than I ever needed. A couple things that may be helpful, if you see a used model that fits...jump if pricing looks right (check KBB, NADA, Cycletrader). They often don't last. Also, new bikes sometimes require patience as availability can be sketchy for popular models.

Then, when you've made your buy, don't look back. Post a picture or two here. Tell us what you think. Then start the customizing to make it yours. Maybe think about an adventure trip. And ride that thing. A lot. The more the better. Be careful always, but go for it.

Last edited:
42....Buying motorcycles is fun. I know, I've bought WAY more than I ever needed. A couple things that may be helpful, if you see a used model that fits...jump if pricing looks right (check KBB, NADA, Cycletrader). They often don't last. Also, new bikes sometimes require patience as availability can be sketchy for popular models.

Then, when you've made your buy, don't look back. Post a picture or two here. Tell us what you think. Then start the customizing to make it yours. Maybe think about an adventure trip. And ride that thing. A lot. The more the better. Be careful always, but go for it.

+1 ^^^ and if you can’t find a suitable group to ride with you [and your DCT ;-) ] up there, just point that thing SOUTH! :cool:

Last edited:

Thank you for the advice. So, out of curiosity, what would you think of this ad?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-touring/cit...ampaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_android

As I mentioned before, I am waiting for 2020 to come out to compare to the previous years and also to see what dealers will do with their old stock, but if you were to look at this ad what would you think? What would you ask the seller? Keep in mind this is in Canadian dollars and the exchange rate is around 1.30.

Thank you

My wife rides a 2016 and I ride a 2018.

Starting in 2016 the bike was updated with new body plastics and the latest generation of the DCT. The brakes were changed, the Frunk size increased to 22 liters. In 2018 the engine was increased to 745cc, a multi mode traction control and full LED lighting were added. But honestly if you blindfold me I can't really tell much difference.

Other than a color change for 2019, I am not sure there is any change between the 2018 and the 2019 but maybe someone else knows if there is a difference in the North American models??? From all indications that I have heard the 2020 is the same bike basic bike as the 2018/2019, not sure what the changes, if any, will actually be in North American models. Maybe something exciting ... maybe not much ... maybe nothing???

As for the used bike in the ad you linked, if you like it and if the market in your area says its a decent price, then go for it. But make sure the mods are to your liking. No sense in paying for things like side panniers that are soft sided if you want hard, or visa versa or a windshield you may change for a different brand, etc, etc, etc. Part of the fun/pride/satisfaction of long term ownership of any bike is making it yours so be sure that if you pay for all sorts of add-ons that (at least most of them) are add-ons that you would buy for yourself. Remember, you are buying the bike first. The add-ons are only a value if you end up keeping and using them for the long term.

I'm on my third DCT, NC700, CTX 700 for my wife and a VFR1200X. I am considering the NC750X DCT. The majority of riders down here, in Harley country, are very interested in the DCT. Perhaps you will find the same level of acceptance I have experienced which will offset any of the negativity. When I bring the VFR over to the Indian/Triumph dealership here in town, most wish that those two brands offered DCT. Buy it, ignore the negativity, and enjoy it. This too shall pass as they say.

There were changes in the 2018 model to be aware of - LED headlights, traction control & raised red line are the main ones. I wouldn't be inclined to be the third owner a two year old model for a 9% price reduction. For $1,100 more you could get an unused '18 model.

Last edited:
There were changes in the 2018 model to be aware of - LED headlights, traction control & raised red line are the main ones. I wouldn't be inclined to be the third owner a two year old model for a 9% price reduction. For $1,100 more you could get an unused '18 model.

I agree with you and other posters above. I do not intend to get this actual bike. It was more to get your feedback and to learn what you see in the ad and what your thought process is when you look at it.

I don't follow the crowd (masses), If i wanted a motorcycle with the DCT, then i will get it.
I have the DCT and i love it.
Yeah, I know how to ride with a clutch. So.... whats the big deal.
This is what i want (dct) and i have no regrets.

My truck, car & SUV are all automatic because I hate constant shifting in heavy Dallas traffic. I would have gotten the DCT for the same reason but the manual I ran across was a deal I couldn't pass up. A few years ago I got 2 scooters & got used to not shifting. A blast to ride. DCT doesn't mean it's any less of a bike. Either way it's a bike & it has a gearbox.

To throw fuel onto the fire, I was thinking as I rode our 250cc scooter today, why not try a midi or maxi scooter? Think about it. You’d get a low center of gravity, no chain maintenance to deal with, more windshield/fairing/weather protection than an NC750, some built in storage, possibly a lower seat height, probably liquid cooling and fuel injection, a fully automatic transmission, and it may well even cost less. With the common automatic transmission used in a scooter, a CVT, there’s even less required interaction than with a DCT. You don’t need to put it in D, S, or N, or fiddle with modes, or remember to put it in N before shutting down. You just start the engine and turn the throttle, and you’re on your way. Most scooters also have no brake pedal, so your feet need not operate any controls. Sometimes the front and rear brakes are integrated on the left handlebar lever.

Seriously, it’s worth giving one a test ride. Otherwise, how would you know? It might just be your thing.

Last edited:
... why not try a midi or maxi scooter? Think about it. You’d get a low center of gravity, no chain maintenance to deal with, more windshield/fairing/weather protection than an NC750...

I have a Honda SH150i scooter which is really fun to ride in the city. I didn't have to do anything with CVT yet, but in the opinion of the experts on this topic, replacing e.g. vario rollers is easier and faster than replacing the chain and sprockets on a motorcycle.
And being behind my GIVI windshield when I'm riding, I don't have to use earplugs, and I can hear myself when I whistle or sing.

My 500 Piaggio would beat virtually anything off the line and was a killer in the twisties. Low center of gravity - a dream to handle. Used to ride it on day trips with my HD pals. Drove ‘em crazy.

Edit—- almost forgot, a few months after I got my Piaggio 500, one of those HD pals bought one for himself. We had some good times on those scoots.

Last edited:
Full season experience -

Dealer only had a DCT. Originally given a choice I'd have gone for the manual.
Not having a choice, and wanting the frunk, I elected to try something new.

Now with some experience, Id say DCT is a good choice.

Day one, instinctively went for the clutch handle. Adapted quickly,

Traffic - awesome. At a stop on a steep hill, also awesome.
Newer riders will really appreciate it, though the above for experienced riders may not be as much a consideration.

Shifting - D mode is city & highway mode. Sport mode 1 is more for twisties. Found no need for S2 or 3.
Sport 1 is generally a gear lower than D, and shift point is higher.

Still - I use the downshift paddle a lot in either mode, and the upshift paddle a bit in sport mode.

D mode trans is always trying get into the highest gear, and a bit lazy to downshift unless you apply a lot of throttle.

Thats the plain truth, worst things I can say about it.

Actual overall impression is its a really really nice option. Once you changeup to using the downshift paddle liberally and it becomes second nature, everything is as zen as you could ask for. Given an option of which trans is available on my next bike - I'd opt for the DCT.

mikethebike

I commute to work every day and the DCT is easily the best bike i have ever had. Guaranteed you will not be sorry and do not listen to all the naysayers. You can ride like an old man, that's me, or you can swop the cogs yourself but clicking onto manual shift and there is also a sports mode.

Back