• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Negative comments from others about DCT

Not yet. Still waiting for 2020 so I can compare.

Good idea. As you mentioned previously, depreciation on these things is low compared to many other bikes. So the logic of considering a new bike makes sense.

That said, it's likely you'll have just as much fun on a used bike. Maybe one that serves as your "research bike" so you can really figure out what stuff you want to add to your next purchase; a brand spanking new NC 750 X DCT. And since there where some relatively significant changes to the 2018 model, might be another year or so before there are additional real upgrades.

A high quality late model used 700/750 or a brand new bike?? Arguments can be made for either choice. Fun stuff this motorcycle buying!

depreciation on these things is low compared to many other bikes.

????? Not my experience at all..these bikes drop like a stone....as does every other motorcycle except for a Goldwing

Typical of bikes for sale found just on this forum:

Red 2014 NC700X for sale in LR, Arkansas area
1300 miles
Has been garaged and covered the entire time!
It's in great condition!
$3700.00

That was a $8,000+ motorcycle and is essentially brand new.

Or this one:

2015 NC700X 18k miles $2,999 Firm. Richmond,.

Both of these demonstrate some serious depreciation....

Last edited:
Yeah, when people are still buying new old stock bikes that are 4+ yrs old for like $5k, that kinda killed resale value on them. I gave $3800 for my 2013 DCT with 8300 miles on it earlier this year. Less than half what it costed new and 8300 is fairly low miles.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I stand corrected. Guess I was comparing to my experience with my dual sports and my look see at NADA and KBB before I decided to buy my NC750 (a used 2018). But not the first time I've been wrong about motorcycle prices ;).

In CA, I see much higher prices than in neighboring states. That's largely about CARB though.

I dropped 5k for a super clean 2013 NC700xd with 3200 miles on it. I could have had a 14 with 18k on it for 3-4 hundred less.

I see similar bikes in nearby states going for 4k. Unfortunately, we can't avoid our smog regulations with a "used" bike until it has over 7500 miles.

I see an average about 1k more for DCT than without. They also sell quicker. I was looking for four months before I bought mine.

I wish I could just throw money at someone qualified for that left hand brake.

1) Very low speed maneuvers over and through obstacles.

2) Highway pegs.

I'm just worried 1) Will it fit on my bike with current parking brake in place (preferable but not mandatory) 2) Getting the threading into the master cylinder done right.

....I see an average about 1k more for DCT than without. They also sell quicker. I was looking for four months before I bought mine.

I paid 6k + tax for an '18 XD in really nice shape with 2,800 miles on it. I also looked for a few months, but my "gotta have" was pretty tight; an '18 with the DCT in really good condition with less than 10,000 miles. There were a couple bikes that were beyond a reasonable driving distance which I thought about, but I have never shipped a bike I sold or one I purchased so not wanting to do that added some time. Thought about a fly and ride, but decided not to do that for such an inexpensive bike. FWIW, I have done a couple fly and rides that worked out really well. Plus I made a couple new friends. In hindsight, I like the NCDCT enough that I would fly somewhere to get the bike I wanted.

Eventually, my patience paid off. I found the bike I was looking for only 45 minutes away. The price was almost a couple thousand below its original selling price, and, admittedly, I would have paid more because it was the bike I wanted. Supply and demand. Lots of really good manuals by various manufacturers out there that compete for NC'X' customers. Few DCT competitors.

Under priced bikes are out there. Patience pays off, but being able to move fast when you find what you want can be a good strategy in some cases.

Last edited:
Hi there, I am glad to discover this dedicated forum!

I own a NC750X DCT version since March this year, and made so far 15,000 Km with it.
What can I say? Amazing fuel consumption, great handling and very practical for everyday use.

When it comes to negatives they are pretty clear from my point of view:
- the weight (DCT version has 230 Kg)
- the seat it's pretty uncomfortable especialy for the pillion, the way it's designed pushes you in front
- the lights are pretty poor, especialy the low beam
- original windsheild offers no wind protection (already changed with a Puig one)
- DCT changes to fast in corners (this can be fixed by twisting the throttle continuosly)

I am happy to present you also the 3 reviews made on YouTube with my bike. These reviews were made first at 4000 Km, second at 11,000 Km and one review it's made completely about the Dashboard.

YouTube

YouTube

YouTube

Hope this helps you to make a better overall picture about the bike.

Greetings !

When it comes to negatives they are pretty clear from my point of view:
- the weight (DCT version has 230 Kg)
- the seat it's pretty uncomfortable especialy for the pillion, the way it's designed pushes you in front
- the lights are pretty poor, especialy the low beam
- original windsheild offers no wind protection
(already changed with a Puig one)
- DCT changes to fast in corners (this can be fixed by twisting the throttle continuosly)

Much of the criticism is NOT limited to the DCT.
-The seat on the manual is the same
-The light on the manual is the same
-The windshield on the manual is the same

There are aftermarket seats (I changed to a custom Corbin, but my wife kept her original Honda seat so apparently the seat issue is subjective).
The light on the pre-2018 are pretty bad, but 2018 and newer are pretty good
The windshield can be changed, and Madstad is probably one of the best alternatives

When I did a trackday at Barber a few weeks ago, a guy walked by, stopped, circled my bike, asked about the highway peg, then said "that's got the scooter motor in it right?" Lol I bout lost it, I tried to be nice, it was difficult.

When I did a trackday at Barber a few weeks ago, a guy walked by, stopped, circled my bike, asked about the highway peg, then said "that's got the scooter motor in it right?" Lol I bout lost it, I tried to be nice, it was difficult.

You should try owning an X-Adv. You would need tranquillisers..........

Maybe the guy was referring to the engine as being exactly like the one used in the Honda Integra “scooter”? Nah, probably not. I doubt he’d ever heard of the Integra.

878AB2A8-BE29-491A-B9F1-EE09E3441D11.jpg

8a6fcea9-2185-44f6-b143-60670230225f.jpeg

(From ADVRider forums.) :p

D4DC7AB5-B1B5-4571-9121-A6FC68A8EAA0.jpg What else can you say...

On the other hand, take it as a compliment. I like scooters. We own three scooters. They're cool. There's nothing wrong with a "scooter motor". But, if the guy is just ignorant, well, the joke's on him.

One good thing about aging is that you get to the point where you Don't Give A Shit about what other people say. Actually, I've never bought brands or what is popular. I prefer quirky and different. That's a big appealof the GL500

Ha.... This is kind of a funny thread, what with the complaints about the bike (some valid, many subjective, maybe a troll here and there), and the defense of the bike's virtues. Guess I fall in the latter camp. To me the bike is light weight, handles great, and I really really like the DCT. Admittedly, those with a higher DCT skill set probably like that part of the bike's offering even more than I do.

For those visiting us this while waiting for the Motorcycle Shows up north to take a look, just know that a lot of experienced motorcycle people own this bike; manual and automatic. That said, there are a lot of great motorcycles out there from which to choose. But for me, a former (and always a maybe future) BMW and Triumph guy who has been around the block a few times, this bike works....Frankly, better than I thought it would.

Hey saw your post. Look man I got a DCT because of neuropathy from beating cancer twice at 32 and then 34. I am 35 and though I had manual dirt bikes in the past I could careless what people say. It's my bike, my life and I will enjoy it as I see fit. You will thank the DCT if you go offroading a bit. My buddy has an africa twin DCT and he drove manuals his whole life and said he would never go back. If someone pulls up to me and says something to me I will ask them how they would feel after being hooked up to chemo machine for 4 months being dosed with cisplatin and etoposide. It will take the "man" out of you. My car is a wrx and thank god I drive a left hand drive car because if I was in Japan or such I would have to get an automatic. Some people don't like change and while your at it, ask them to pull out their cell phone and gurantee you they have an iPhone or android note smart phone and ask "hey you don't like change huh" meanwhile keep a crappy flip phone that's just a paper weight and whip out it out and say, jeez guess I don't like change either....

Back