• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC700XA (ABS) front brake pads

About 100km of riding with new EBC pads at dry conditions: better braking than worn stock pads, maybe a slight humming sound when braking, no rattling or whatever. It feels a bit more "aggressive" when braking, probably there is a minimal vibration getting through to the lever, but nothing that I would ever call serious or an issue at all.
ABS actuation tested on gravel, good as always.

Phil, do you wear a full face helmet or a jet? It's true that the noise that I was describing is hardly be heard when wearing a full face helmet, but it was there, more noise with the Galfer pads than with the EBC ones.

Any way, I filed the Galfer pads and the noise was almost gone:

pastilla_galfer_limada_zps5a547726.jpg

Phil, do you wear a full face helmet or a jet? It's true that the noise that I was describing is hardly be heard when wearing a full face helmet, but it was there, more noise with the Galfer pads than with the EBC ones.
Always wearing full face helmets. However, the noise of the EBC pads does not seem any special to me. No idea about Galfer. The EBC pads' noise compares to the braking noise I experienced with other motorcycles as well. I might even have encountered similiar braking noise with my stock pads once they were new. Anyway, it is definitely nothing that I would pay attention to.
I like the fact these EBC give better braking than my worn stock pads. Curious about durability now.

Is there any play in the aftermarket pads and the brake pin vs the stock pads & pin? Is the pin worn down in certain areas? Maybe that heat shield on the OEM pads causes those pads to ride on a different part of the pin than the aftermarket ones, or have a smaller foot print/contact area on the pin than the aftermarket ones.

One reason that the noise and vibration is more apparent is the brake disc is not a floating disc like most motorcycle setups. This tends to exacerbate any vibrations that the braking system creates sending them through the wheel and suspension which can end up feeling like vibration or heard as noise. I've experienced this riding Buells before with their solid mount perimeter brakes.

But when putting on new pads generally you might find decreased braking effectiveness and more noise until it's broken in. It's because the old pads have worn a pattern into the disc which the new ones must first conform to. This puts high pressure on certain areas of the brake pads which deform and slightly press into the drilled holes and grabs that area, this leads to vibration which coupled with the direct wheel mount can lead to an increase in perceived noise.

I will say I've switched to EBC pads from different OEM's and after a proper break in I've never been let down, increased braking performance, longer life and less rotor wear than OEM stuff.

One reason that the noise and vibration is more apparent is the brake disc is not a floating disc like most motorcycle setups. This tends to exacerbate any vibrations that the braking system creates sending them through the wheel and suspension which can end up feeling like vibration or heard as noise. I've experienced this riding Buells before with their solid mount perimeter brakes.

But when putting on new pads generally you might find decreased braking effectiveness and more noise until it's broken in. It's because the old pads have worn a pattern into the disc which the new ones must first conform to. This puts high pressure on certain areas of the brake pads which deform and slightly press into the drilled holes and grabs that area, this leads to vibration which coupled with the direct wheel mount can lead to an increase in perceived noise.

I will say I've switched to EBC pads from different OEM's and after a proper break in I've never been let down, increased braking performance, longer life and less rotor wear than OEM stuff.

I fully agree.
I fitted the EBC HH on my NC 700X ABS 3,000 miles ago and I didn't feel anything special... but an improved braking power.... No rattle, nothing.
. I didn't like very much the "limited" power of the front brake, I feel much more safe now.

I've some rattling although the bike has made just 800 km, do you think it will disappear once the pads are worn in a bit ?

Back