• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC700x won't start, nothing on display

skylyn

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an NC700x. It rained last night and it was out in the rain. When I went to get on it this morning the display with the spedometer and tachometer wouldn't come on, and the bike wouldn't start. Pressing the starter did nothing.

It's now night, everything is dry, but it's behaving the same. The check engine, oil pressure, and temperature lights all come on when I turn the key, so the battery isn't dead, but the neutral light will not come on when the bike is in neutral, there is nothing on the display at any time.

I haven't checked the fuses yet, that's next, but if anyone else has other ideas, I'd love any suggestions!

If your battery is around 3 years old, time for a new battery. Like Bamamate said, check the battery cables. The negative cable was lose on my bike, took me for ever to figure out what was wrong.

Just for clarification, your description stated that first thing in the morning nothing showed up in the bike's display, however later that day certain display indicators were illuminated (check engine indicator, etc.), but you also stated nothing changed from the morning. Did these same indicators light up in the morning after the rain, or are "things" starting to illuminate/return to normal? If some of your electronics got wet, it may take more than 24 hours to dry out, assuming you can place it in a dry environment. I'd suggest before you start replacing anything you give it a good 24-48 hours to dry out completely (for the more hidden parts of your bike it will take a day or so) before you start troubleshooting other potential issues. Having said that, unless the bike was subjected to a real gully-washer, a rain shower shouldn't have compromised anything. I am still running the original battery on my 2012 NC700X and it's running strong, so if you haven't been experiencing battery issues up to this rain event I'd say the issue isn't your battery, but a water intrusion-caused problem somewhere else.

Most, if not all, of the NC's (as well as most of the Honda line) were subject to a recall of the starter relay or stator, cannot remember which. Worth checking your VIN to see if that is the case. If so, it is a free repair.

Just for clarification, your description stated that first thing in the morning nothing showed up in the bike's display, however later that day certain display indicators were illuminated (check engine indicator, etc.), but you also stated nothing changed from the morning. Did these same indicators light up in the morning after the rain, or are "things" starting to illuminate/return to normal?

Sorry I wasn't clear enough in my original post. All of the indicators were on both at night and in the morning.

I got it running tonight with a jump from my wife's car. However, it was idling rough, and I even had to give it a little gas at the beginning for fear it was going to die. The check engine light was flashing, and the speedometer display was flashing inconsistently like it was losing power, then regaining it.

I rode it less than 1/10th of a mile, got it up to around 20mph, but check engine light remained on (went solid after some time) and the speedometer display kept flashing. The display did seem to get a little more stable after the quick ride, but giving the bike any gas caused it to flash again. The bike never idled properly.

My bike is a 2012, so it's almost 3 years old, but I've never had any kind of battery or electrical trouble from it in the past. I have a hard time believing the battery went from perfectly fine to dead from Friday to Monday and the rain had nothing to do with it.

I also looked at the battery connections, disconnected both the positive and negative, and inspected them, and reconnected them, but that didn't seem to have any affect. The connection seems solid, and clamping on the rear brake pedal and the positive terminal was enough to get the batter charged enough to jump it pretty quickly, so it doesn't seem to be a battery connection issue.

I checked Honda's recall website for my vin and it says NUMBER OF OPEN RECALLS: 0 LAST UPDATED: OCT 20, 2015. I also did a bit of searching, but I haven't found any problem descriptions similar enough to mine to be useful.

I guess it's heading to the shop soon. Hopefully the problem is covered under the extended warranty. Does anyone know what is/is not covered under that without me digging up my paperwork?

Last edited:
your battery is toast, put a new battery in it and see if that fixes the issues, which I feel pretty confident it will. The same thing happens to goldwings when the battery is gone. If it doesnt fix it, it is probably your stator.

but do let us know how it turns out either way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I checked Honda's recall website for my vin and it says NUMBER OF OPEN RECALLS: 0 LAST UPDATED: OCT 20, 2015. I also did a bit of searching, but I haven't found any problem descriptions similar enough to mine to be useful.

I guess it's heading to the shop soon. Hopefully the problem is covered under the extended warranty. Does anyone know what is/is not covered under that without me digging up my paperwork?

The only recall ever issued for the 2012 model was a final drive chain inspection/replacement.

Batteries in this bike have certainly been known to die a sudden and unexpected death. There are examples of it right here on the forum. You may want to save yourself the trouble of hauling the bike to the shop and just replace the battery yourself. I'd be curious to know if a dead battery would even be covered under an extended warranty, since I'd expect it's probably considered a consumable item. But, since I've never bought an extended warranty, I wouldn't know.

Last edited:
A low battery causes your symptoms , jump starting wont fix it , I had to remove the battery and make sure it was fully recharged to get the bike out of safe mode .

And really heavy rain when I was in Ireland seemed to cause a battery drain somewhere ,its fine a near year later ( 2012 700x) but I keep all connections I can see sprayed with a water repellant . I have to wd40 my dash too to avoid steaming ,when sprayed on a hot day I can see the spray bubbling out of the bottom left corner of the clear plastic . I have no steaming up issues with an occasional spray over the dash,
Cant complain with 45000 miles in the worst winter commute /tours I do . (don't think many places beat SW Scotland and Ireland for biblical deluges !)

Just to follow up -it was indeed a dead battery. I replaced it and its running fine now. It's rained several times since with no problem. Thanks for all the replies!

Back