• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC700X New Owner?

What a beefy trailer....wow! It looks like it was once part of a military vehicle?

I'm sure you'll enjoy the NC. Ride safe and have fun! :eek:
I had a whole response to your post pecked out and the forum said it had to go to a mod for approval..... which never came...

The trailer in the military's M1101 trailer, aluminum body and chrome-moly frame. Surge brakes, dual parking brakes, and run-away brakes too.

It's designed to run behind the HMMWV and uses HMMWV wheels and shocks. The army bought it for $8K and I got it from the auction for $750. I sold the heavy HMMWV wheels/tires/run-flats for $400 and replaced them with some stock 8-lug Chevy wheels. That removed a few hundred pounds from the trailer and lowered it just a bit. I hauled a yard of gravel with no drama, and that one haul saved me the $300 delivery charge, so this thing is paying for itself.

More info: http://www.silvereaglemfg.com/military/cargo_trailer_ltt-l.shtml and http://olive-drab.com/idphoto/id_photos_ltt-hmt_trailer_m1101_m1102.php

I changed the thread title to reflect that it is no longer a question, but a statement.

Rode around town today and hit a church parking lot to practice a few panic-stops and work on my slow tight turns. Quickly becoming more comfortable and confident on the bike. Supposed to be nice on Monday so I can use the bike for the reason I bought it; getting to and from work.

I spent an hour or so last night tracking all the accessories the PO added to the bike, and made a list:

AdMore Lighting High Output LED Kit
Handlebar Riser Barbacks & Top Clamps
Barkbusters STORM Guards
DrySpec License Plate Storage Box
GIVI Monokey Side Bags
Front Fender Extender
Honda WIND DEFLECTOR
Honda WIND DEFLECTOR
Sub-Harness Kit
Centerstand
Accessory Socket
Unv Grounding Block
Fuse Panel
Crash Bar/Slider
HUGGER Meshed Inner Fender
Cee Bailey's Windshield
Ohlins STX46 Street Rear Shock
Battery Tender
Battery Tender Terminals
DENALI SoundBomb
DrySpec Motorcycle Tool Tube X2
MSR 30 oz. Motorcycle Fuel Bottle X2
Radiator Protector
Motion Pro 08-0048 Chain Alignment Tool
Motion Pro 08-0182 Cable Luber
RAM Mount
Tusk Tire Repair Kit
Cover
Brightech Power Jump Kit
Fender Extension
Service Manual
Givi Windscreen

Hello, I am a NC700x rider here in Tacoma. I go to JBLM all the time. We should meet and take a few rides together.
You might want to rethink that. Stopped at a red light and put my foot down wrong- flopped the bike over on its side.... No damage just embarrassing. :eek:

EDIT to add: I thought about what happened and then I remembered that I had a lot of trouble getting back on the bike, as though it had suddenly gotten taller. Well, of course the bike didn't get taller- I was suddenly shorter. I had pulled up to the light expecting it to change, so delayed putting my foot down as long as possible (because it sucks when the light turns green just as your toe touches- not smooth at all). My balancing act caused me to get close to the curb on the left side, so when my left foot went out and the ground was lower than I was expecting (the low side of the crown), so with the bike already tilting that way it was impossible to stop it from going over. NOTE that this was a divided road, so each way has a left and right curb. Didn't make much sense without that.

Lesson learned; stop closer to the middle of the road's crown, not on the edge.

Last edited:
I would have bought it to at that price with the low miles and luggage and taller screen and I see it has the Center Stand and some crash bars too. That is definitely a good buy!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I also have those Givi V35 bags and covered around 6k miles with them last summer, including heavy rain. Once a little water seeped in and I may have had something caught under the cover. BTW, those bags ship with a 3rd lock, so if you get a Monokey top case you can change its lock cylinder to the one that came with the cases and only need one key (assuming you got the extra lock cylinder).

I also have those Givi V35 bags and covered around 6k miles with them last summer, including heavy rain. Once a little water seeped in and I may have had something caught under the cover. BTW, those bags ship with a 3rd lock, so if you get a Monokey top case you can change its lock cylinder to the one that came with the cases and only need one key (assuming you got the extra lock cylinder).
Yes, I have the extra lock cylinder.

Rode to work again today (my Stanley lunchbox fits easily in the sidecase) even though it was 37° for the ride in. The ride home was close to 60° and it almost makes me wish I had a longer commute.

You might want to rethink that. Stopped at a red light and put my foot down wrong- flopped the bike over on its side.... No damage just embarrassing. :eek:

EDIT to add: I thought about what happened and then I remembered that I had a lot of trouble getting back on the bike, as though it had suddenly gotten taller. Well, of course the bike didn't get taller- I was suddenly shorter. I had pulled up to the light expecting it to change, so delayed putting my foot down as long as possible (because it sucks when the light turns green just as your toe touches- not smooth at all). My balancing act caused me to get close to the curb on the left side, so when my left foot went out and the ground was lower than I was expecting (the low side of the crown), so with the bike already tilting that way it was impossible to stop it from going over. NOTE that this was a divided road, so each way has a left and right curb. Didn't make much sense without that.

Lesson learned; stop closer to the middle of the road's crown, not on the edge.

If I'm "teaching my Granny to suck eggs" I apologise but:
Try slowing down earlier to lights or other hazard and rolling up with a slipped clutch and a little back brake.

By controlled riding against the rear brake you can creep along, as long as you haven't got a cager behind you!

I trust you installed a relay? Whilst it'll work straight off the horn button feed, the extra current drawn will cause the horn button to fail over time and it's a P.I.T.A. to have to replace it.
The horn came complete with the bike specific mounting bracket and a wiring harness, so I'm pretty sure there was a relay there. Funny, the plug & play wiring kit picture shows a relay socket but no relay- of course it won't work without a relay plugged into the socket so I'm guessing the relay is there. I'll go out and check later. In addition, I think there must be a relay in the harness or it would blow the stock horn's fuse.

EDIT to add: I think the relay comes with the horn.

Last edited:
If I'm "teaching my Granny to suck eggs" I apologise but:
Try slowing down earlier to lights or other hazard and rolling up with a slipped clutch and a little back brake.

By controlled riding against the rear brake you can creep along, as long as you haven't got a cager behind you!
Hey, I'll take all the free advice I can get.

The issue with that stop was that when I put my foot down the ground wasn't there, and I wasn't ready for that. Getting better with every ride!

I went over to NUWC Keyport and they have the lines painted so I could practice. No cones but I practiced turning the bike in the box and weaving through the S-turns. I'm sure I did it all wrong but it's been a few years since I attended the course.

[video=youtube_share;4-9NaAVxR6U]https://youtu.be/4-9NaAVxR6U[/video]

Back