• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New NC700X Owner

JohnSwolo

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, Last week I bought a 2012 Honda NC700X with 38k miles on it. While the bike looks like it has seen better days from all the scuffs and scratches on the bodywork, internally the bike is rock-solid. I also got a killer deal in my opinion for it's condition. The small things about the bike are that the ignition/kill switch assembly is loose, *I can twist it on the handlebars*, the front right turn signal is busted, the rear brakes squeak when used at low speed, and it is evident that the previous owner definitely took the bike apart. There are push pins missing, push pins where screws should be, and these weird push pin replacements that look like they weren't installed correctly. For how cheap I was able to get this bike I'm not too upset about these things. I plan to take it to the Honda Powersports near me to see about getting some replacements, I already got a replacement turn signal off a 2015 NC700X from eBay. Other than that I would love to know what suggestions people have about ownership of these bikes and how I can make it last another 38k miles. I do plan to make some small cosmetic changes to the bike like a tail-tidy and LED turn signals/headlight, and maybe a slip-on exhaust in the future but that's about it.

Howdy and welcome to the forum John

to make it last another 38K, check the valve clearances*, change all the fluids and oil filter*, check the brake pads*, adjust and lube the chain, check air in the tires, make sure the battery is solid and then just ride it

* if previous owner hasn't done these things recently

Howdy and welcome to the forum John

to make it last another 38K, check the valve clearances*, change all the fluids and oil filter*, check the brake pads*, adjust and lube the chain, check air in the tires, make sure the battery is solid and then just ride it

Thanks for all the advice! When asked the previous owner told me he did the brakes and fluids. The tires have 700 miles on them. My guess for the squeaky rear brake is cheap pads. I'm going to make a trip to an auto parts store to get some brake grease and chain lube. The bike had a routine service at 36k miles. The previous owner told me he did services every 3-5k miles and it had 9k miles when he bought it. I plan to do a full oil service as soon as the new filter arrives.

Welcome, John. My '12 has a lot more miles than yours, and it really hasn't needed anything but routine maintenance since new (which to me includes tires, chains & sprockets). The Honda Touring windscreen has yellowed in the intense southern AZ sun, but I don't look through it so I don't care much.

Yep, that's all it should need.

I'll add:
I also have no noticeable oil consumption on my bike, and I don't get anything accumulated to drain from the PCV(?) drain line.

An NCX ought, in my opinion, to last hundreds of thousands of miles with little more than maintenance, a clutch or two (depending how you use the bike), and...? Can't think of anything else; maybe some plastic or rubber bits, in another decade?

I'm wouldn't expect any disasters from the engine. I have heard of people using low quality knock off discs that squeak so you can check that. For the kill switch there should be a pin in the switch that goes into a locating hole on the bars. If the bars were replaced the hole would not be there.

Back