• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC700X More than a Commuter?

As a avid dirt biker (see big strong boots, riding pants) I really don't see riding pants and boots helping out frail human legs vs a 3500+ car.. just my rather unstreet experienced take.

If you slide on the road from high speeds I will promise you that you will give all you have for having real clothing and boots!
Been there, done it!

If you slide on the road from high speeds I will promise you that you will give all you have for having real clothing and boots!
Been there, done it!

Ditto, did that just last year. Jeans did nothing to prevent my legs from the nasty road rash that I got from sliding. Also had on heavy steel toed boots that when I slid got ground down to expose the steel on my left boot. Would have been my toes sticking out bloody ground to the bone for sure if it weren't for the boots. This time around I All the Gear All the Time. Road Rash phoking HURTS! It's not just the bones that need protecting. Thankfully I was just short of needing skin grafts, but it still took weeks and weeks to heal with many bandage changes that my poor wife had to help me with. Road rash given at highway speeds isn't just a scrape either, I had 2nd degree burns on top of the raod rash from the friction of trading skin with the pavement. Not trying to preach here, just hoping others can learn from my mistakes and not have to spend as much time hospitalized as I did had I been wearing the proper gear when I went down, if and when they may go down.

Motorcycle publications have, in general, praised the NC700X. Some even went as far as naming it bike of the year (Cycle World). But most have pegged the NCX as a "beginner" bike or for "mature" rider returning to riding, with it's less than thrilling performance numbers. Although I agree that the NCX is great for these types of riders, it's more than just that.

As a buyer who is still on the fence about the NCX, I am wondering if there are any of you riding the NCX for more than just commuting and getting around town? Is there any of you who do any degree of adventure riding, sports touring, long trips? I personally think a $20K GS or K bike (or any other monstrous ADV bike) is excessive. It mirrors the trend of drivers in full-size SUV that does nothing more than going to the mall and picking up kids.

Tell us what you've done on your NC700X

This bike has served as commuter and tourer for me. Highway, mountain roads, commuting and just plain sight seeing. Will be using it on my vacation come the spring. Correction, will be using it as my vacation come the spring.

I traded my Ducati Multistrada for this bike once I road tested it. I love the fact that you're not jailed to the dealership for maintenance and there's no f@#$%^ing stupid little wrench icon to turn off once your service work is complete. It was that wrench icon that convinced me I was riding the wrong bike. I do my own work and keep records, but the dealer wouldn't turn the icon off without completing the work themselves. So I said, "effem"!

I would not say this is a picture of a commuter. And add the pillion, who was taking the picture

30062012500-1.jpg

What brand of bags are you using ? They look like soft luggage. Also, what make and model rear rack is that? Nice looking combo.

This bike has served as commuter and tourer for me. Highway, mountain roads, commuting and just plain sight seeing. Will be using it on my vacation come the spring. Correction, will be using it as my vacation come the spring.

I traded my Ducati Multistrada for this bike once I road tested it. I love the fact that you're not jailed to the dealership for maintenance and there's no f@#$%^ing stupid little wrench icon to turn off once your service work is complete. It was that wrench icon that convinced me I was riding the wrong bike. I do my own work and keep records, but the dealer wouldn't turn the icon off without completing the work themselves. So I said, "effem"!

Substitute "BMW" in this, and that's 100% exactly me!

The final straw that broke me was the BMW dealer telling me: "No, that's extra" (more money) when I asked WTF my SERVICE DUE warning and nagging flashy lights were still on, after I brought it in for an oil, filter, and brake fluid flush. They would only reset it after a full dealer service, costing hundreds and hundreds of dollars more! Anything less and it was an extra charge!

Effing screw that. :mad:

Since I no longer commute, I hope I'll be using it for more than commuting!:D

I've been putting in 100 - 300 mile days, trying out some cheap seat fixes. So far, the best idea (aside from "HTFU") seems to be the bead pad I was using on my Buell. I don't know if it's just that I'm used to it after several thousand miles (on the Buell), or if I'm really beginning to HTFU, but it seems to be working out for me. Side note - since this is a family friendly board, "HTFU" of course means, "Harden The Fanny Up".;)

Anyway, once I get comfortable enough with that and some bags put on, I'll be heading out on some trips. I'll be working through bordering states at first, but plan on longer and longer routes. I do NOT plan on very much dirt road use. I finally had my fill of picking a bike up from spills in mud, sand, rocks and gravel with my Buell (and it had street tires, too!).

What brand of bags are you using ? They look like soft luggage. Also, what make and model rear rack is that? Nice looking combo.

The bag are soft ones, by Kappa. The rack is a Givi one, and the top box is a Kappa K53. FYI, Most of Kappa and Givi stuff are compatible

Someone need to get proper biking clothes! Including boots, not shoes! Jeans and sneakers won't keep you in shape if you happen to get involved in an accident!

Hey guys, be gentle with me, my boots were at the shoemaker those days! After all he was not able to repair them, so I'm getting a new ones!

But you are right, I'm going to hide that detail in the picture, it's not a good example for beginers

I bought it to commute with, no question. I have a '96 Yamaha XV1100 Virago that I was commuting with 74 miles a day to include a leg cross town in Manhattan to the east river from the Lincoln tunnel. Great as that bike is, the cross town leg was a bit much for the aged air cooled engine after 30 miles of highway speeds. I needed a new head gasket and clutch. At 40 mpg and a few more major maintenence items coming down the pike I thougt to look for a replacement.

Well, a $7k bike that goes as fast as I will ever need to, gets 64 mpg and is under the 1000 cc insurance rate was a no brainer.

It may not be seen as an upgrade, my Virago is still the most comfortable bike I have ever owned, but it sure is a great choice when you find you NEED a replacement but don't want to spend a boatload of cash..

In the course of commuting I have seen numerous other riders with superbikes taking the same route and going at exaclty the same speeds I do. Recently I stopped to speak to a guy with his new CBR and I mentioned that it cost me $7k. He told me he paid double for a bike to do the exact same mission. He certainly looked like he was doubting his decision (a guy with a 1100cc CBR still has some bragging rights).

So I am not a beginner and although aged I am not getting back into riding. I am a mature, seasoned rider and commuter that has been able to take my experience and distill out what I really need in a bike.

Last edited:
I have to admit that whilst I find the NC an excellent bike for the purpose I bought it I really wouldn't want it for my only bike. I'm not worried about top speed these days but I do still get a kick out of acceleration and my Crossrunner gives me that. Also I find the CR more comfortable on longer trips

Substitute "BMW" in this, and that's 100% exactly me!

The final straw that broke me was the BMW dealer telling me: "No, that's extra" (more money) when I asked WTF my SERVICE DUE warning and nagging flashy lights were still on, after I brought it in for an oil, filter, and brake fluid flush. They would only reset it after a full dealer service, costing hundreds and hundreds of dollars more! Anything less and it was an extra charge!

Effing screw that. :mad:

I can understand your anger.
What many BMW riders do, is to learn from one another on how to switch off those darn stuff. If you band together (say 5 people), you can even pool some money to buy the BMW diagnostics devices. I remember I was active in the BMW forums years ago, and they were a big bunch of help.
Most will tell you how to reset those signals.

Hum, something bad is going to happen, this guys use to carry guns

When I do my month long drive through the states in may next year I will go incognito! :)
Anyone asking me "hey, are you not the Swedish...." I will respond " lo siento Senor, no hablo nada!" :)

Back to the OP question.

The NCX is not my commuter.
It is my weekend sunny bike.
It carves up the twisty mountain pass roads here, easily with the high torque and apparent high clearance.
The seating position is perfect for looking ahead of traffic.
All it needs is some dual-purpose tires (semi-knobbies) and she can even go offroad (ok not the real super-cross stuff).

It is NOT a commuter for me.
:p

Hum, something bad is going to happen, this guys use to carry guns

Yes something bad may happen! He may want to keep a few for himself. ;) Say hello to my little friend! Their diet is
way more expensive than the NC's.
My 9 year old has cost me $40.00 in less than an hour shooting those nasty guns.
He says, the bigger they are, the more fun they are too shoot.

My NC is seeing duty as a day riding bike for local rides to 250 miles or so and also as my light duty touring bike. So far it has been on two 4 day trips to the mountains logging about 1800 miles each trip - 1000 miles round trip to get there and 800 miles on mountain roads. This weekend I was in NC and TN riding with a bunch of friends on ST1300s. I had no trouble running in the fast pack although passing on those roads takes more planning and patience. My motorcycles are for recreation and not commuting.

Back