• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC700X More than a Commuter?

Naked_Duc

Reaction score
Visit site
Motorcycle publications have, in general, praised the NC700X. Some even went as far as naming it bike of the year (Cycle World). But most have pegged the NCX as a "beginner" bike or for "mature" rider returning to riding, with it's less than thrilling performance numbers. Although I agree that the NCX is great for these types of riders, it's more than just that.

As a buyer who is still on the fence about the NCX, I am wondering if there are any of you riding the NCX for more than just commuting and getting around town? Is there any of you who do any degree of adventure riding, sports touring, long trips? I personally think a $20K GS or K bike (or any other monstrous ADV bike) is excessive. It mirrors the trend of drivers in full-size SUV that does nothing more than going to the mall and picking up kids.

Tell us what you've done on your NC700X

It is my only bike. I work from home and do not commute. Got it for the storage, low down weight, economy and goes as fast as I need. Fun in the twisties too! Evaluate what you want from a bike and you wont go wrong.
By the way I have the S and would have no problem touring with it.
Tony

Last edited:
I have done a couple weekend trips on my nc with the wife. I have full givi luggage on it. The only issue I have is the horrible stock seat. Keeping my fingers crossed for sargent to come out with one.

I suppose I fall into the " mature rider returning to riding category" and would like to echo Tony's views. My X is a toy, I look forward to riding it on the weekend, it is fast/powerful enough for my needs and fun to ride,......oh, and economical as well. I hope the weather is fine tomorrow morning....can't wait.

Al@n

I would not say this is a picture of a commuter. And add the pillion, who was taking the picture

30062012500-1.jpg

Last edited:
I do a lot of riding with my old sportbike Buddy's, its funny but with age and experience I can keep up with them fairly well in the corners, they just smoke me in the straights. Two newbies just got added to the ranks and everyone gets a laugh at them when the old guy on the "Big X" (as they call the bike) goes around them on the outside. Its no GSXR but its competent in the corners and the fact that it will torque out of the apex the way it does always tickles me. With the right tires and some suspension mods (see Beemerphiles extreme farlking) you could put some wanna be's to shame grinding foot peg feelers all the way and still ride home with a straight back.

I would not say this is a picture of a commuter. And add the pillion, who was taking the picture
Someone need to get proper biking clothes! Including boots, not shoes! Jeans and sneakers won't keep you in shape if you happen to get involved in an accident!

Someone need to get proper biking clothes! Including boots, not shoes! Jeans and sneakers won't keep you in shape if you happen to get involved in an accident!

As a avid dirt biker (see big strong boots, riding pants) I really don't see riding pants and boots helping out frail human legs vs a 3500+ car.. just my rather unstreet experienced take.

As a avid dirt biker (see big strong boots, riding pants) I really don't see riding pants and boots helping out frail human legs vs a 3500+ car.. just my rather unstreet experienced take.

They don't make you bullet-proof against impact, but watch a road-racer take a 100+MPH get-off and then chase his bike to get back in the race. They would all be wearing speedos if it didn't matter.

My riding gear has saved me twice from serious skin and joint injury.

While I see your point.. my gripe isn't really about the pants.. more so a heavy boot. When I crash my dirt bike at high speeds, my knees always hurt from the twisting motion thrust upon them from heavy boots. On the flip side, I'd hate for some chunk of something to fly up and impale my foot through my sneaker.

It's not the impact that you should be worried about, it's the fall and the tumbling you will be doing for the next 100 ft. Once street shoes touches the pavement in a crash, they will fly off and you'd be tumbling barefoot. Also, in case the bike falls on your leg, the boots will protect you from heat and moving motorcycle parts.

The next 100ft is exactly why I don't want something heavy on my foot.. but I agree the sneaker will most likely fly off. Guess I'll have to look for a light road race style boot instead of a big heavy construction style boot.

Thanks for the input.. it is appreciated.

And as far as the original topic... Is there anything this bike WON'T do? :)

While I see your point.. my gripe isn't really about the pants.. more so a heavy boot. When I crash my dirt bike at high speeds, my knees always hurt from the twisting motion thrust upon them from heavy boots. On the flip side, I'd hate for some chunk of something to fly up and impale my foot through my sneaker.

Where heavy boots are helpful is in preventing the crushing of your foot by the motorcycle I don't wear motorcycle specific boots because I have never found any that fit my narrow foot. I wear Danner Acadias. They are fairly light boots but have very thick soles that give some crush resistance.

Tumbling is what you want to avoid. Sliding is better. Watch a racer. They lay down to disperse energy quicker while. Tumbling breaks things sliding gives road rash
agreed. Unfortunately, you don't always have control over what's going to happen to you when you go down. A race track is a very controlled environment while the open road is, well, wide open.

I got t-boned last year and my boots saved my ankle from major damage as it was caught between bike and car as I tried to lift it out the way. Nothing like a wake up call to stop you being slack with safety gear.

Tony

Motorcycle publications have, in general, praised the NC700X. Some even went as far as naming it bike of the year (Cycle World). But most have pegged the NCX as a "beginner" bike or for "mature" rider returning to riding, with it's less than thrilling performance numbers. Although I agree that the NCX is great for these types of riders, it's more than just that.

As a buyer who is still on the fence about the NCX, I am wondering if there are any of you riding the NCX for more than just commuting and getting around town? Is there any of you who do any degree of adventure riding, sports touring, long trips? I personally think a $20K GS or K bike (or any other monstrous ADV bike) is excessive. It mirrors the trend of drivers in full-size SUV that does nothing more than going to the mall and picking up kids.

Tell us what you've done on your NC700X

Well I have only posted once before, not sure if I am doing this right. But... here goes. I have been riding all my life, 1200 to 250's. I followed this bike for a year before it was available. I use it for everything, I have 40/60 tires and plan to upgrade to adjustable shocks. I take it down desert sand roads and mountain back trails. Have been watching to see that it is staying tight and so far so good. Even the storage compartment appears to be staying intact. I enjoy the low center of gravity but am still getting used to the rpm range. Every day is better. Have yet to lay it down but dont do what I would do on a 250 dirt. Shazam

As a buyer who is still on the fence about the NCX, I am wondering if there are any of you riding the NCX for more than just commuting and getting around town? Is there any of you who do any degree of adventure riding, sports touring, long trips? I personally think a $20K GS or K bike (or any other monstrous ADV bike) is excessive. ...
I can only speak in general terms as I'm looking at the NC700X myself. I own a Suzuki Burgman 400 right now. A lot of members on BurgmanUSA used to say the 400 model was good only for commuting, while you needed at least the 650 to "tour". What's the difference between commuting and touring? What you carry on the bike and that you don't go home at night. Some of us have taken cross-country trips on these scooters and I completed the SS1000 last June on mine. If you can do that with a 400 cc scooter, you can do all that on this bike.

Chris

Back