• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Nail in the Rear Tire ARRGGH !!

Ponyperformance8

Reaction score
Visit site
Picked up a nail in the rear tire the other day and was flat before you knew it. Had to squeeze air into it and get it home so I could go to work. Got back and through a plug in it with the intention of continuing to ride it until it was time to replace, but everybody I talked to said replace it like it would pop on me at any second.

So Despite my pocketbook talking, I just forked over the $200 for a brand new Avon Distanzia SM tire + install.

Now I have ridden on plugged car tires for thousands of hard miles including drag racing and more and never had a problem, but I thought the answer of better safe than sorry was prudent here considering I ride every day and the Wife and Daughter are back at the ranch.

What I am curious is what would you guys do ? and more importantly what do I do for the future, Slime or Ride-On ?? :cool::rolleyes:

Lots of people plug or patch and ride. I prefer the safe rather than sorry option. We only have two wheels on a bike. A flat or blowout at an inopportune time could mean disaster. So the $200 bucks you spent for peace of mind and safety? Money well spent in my humble opinion.

I use Ride On, but I personally will not ride with a plug any farther than the first tire store. I have had 2 rear flats due to a nail and the other a bolt. Not exactly a blow out, but instant flat. Both were rear tire and riding two up. A cb360 and a gl1800, neither ended in a crash, but with both there were small holes in my seat and the taste of seat in my mouth. Had it happened in a hard corner, who knows what the outcome would have been.

If you are the tiniest bit hesitant or not trusting of a flat tire you plugged yourself properly, I would absolutely agree with the fellows saying to replace the tire with a new one. Especially if there are wives, kids etc., to consider, no question. :)

Only speaking for myself, with no others to worry about etc., if 1,000 out of 1,000 people told me tomorrow, that plugging a flat tire and riding on it was the stupidest thing a human being could possibly do, and showed me a stack of paper 2 ft. thick with stats to prove it, I would politely nod, wish them well, and ride happily away on my .50 cent plugged tire and never look back...

Being that I would confidently ride on a tire I plugged myself a dozen times if need be, only you can truly make the decision that best serves your life and outlook.

Hey what can I say damage already done (to my pocketbook). It ended up with this, I look at it as though I feel comfortable, if anything did happen to me, how bad would I feel being all laid up and putting that stress on my family. I guess a little piece of mind is worth $250.

Ed up, I'm curious, you said you use Rideon and still have had 2 flats ? What gives ? Is that stuff not worth it? I know OCR swears by it.

I posted this in a recent thread but thought it was relevant to the discussion at hand.

I have plugged many tires with small nail punctures as long as the puncture or damage was not in the sidewall. I can also say from first hand experience that the Tulsa Police Department Motorcycle Division regularly plugs motorcycle tires meeting the above criteria. The motor officers have logged millions of miles over the years on plugged tires, riding in all types of severe conditions and circumstances without one documented failure attributed to a plugged tire.

Believe me, if this were a dangerous practice, these experienced motor officers would demand that punctured tires be replaced with brand new tires before they would agree to ride. Second, and perhaps more convincing, the city Legal Department lawyers would not allow this practice based on the liability exposure for injury and property damage if factual data clearly proved that plugged motorcycle tires were unsafe to ride on.

I would encourage each of you do do what you are most comfortable with in regards to plugging a punctured tire. I have had no problems with plugged tires over the years. If the tire were near the end of its useful tread life I would probably go ahead and replace it. For others of you, $200.00 is really not that much when you think about it for the confidence and peace of mind it would provide.

One of the flats I had was in the 70's, if Ride On existed I didn't know it, and truthfully at the time didn't care. The other was the first week I owned my new Gold Wing, no Ride On. No flats since using Ride On, I also understand, (per dealer) the Ride On is constantly balancing your tire, therefore getting better tire life. My last tires on the Wing were changed at 16,000 miles and still had a little left, but I was headed to Canada for a 6500 mile trip and didn't want any problems. Those tires were well used, as I rode hard. Every other set of tires I had to buy foot pegs.

Back