• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

My very first bike, and got it home safely

robnpat

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, went to pick up my NC700X a little bit ago. My dealer is only 3 miles from my house, but I was still nervous driving it home. The dealer offered to drive it for me, but I figured I had to do it sometime. I had my wife be my 'buffer' to keep traffic from riding my butt. I did kill it (oops) pulling out of the dealer lot, but got it moving real soon after that. I wasn't ready for the wind/noise, but I soon felt 'comfy' with it. I went 'slow' through the turns and I still need to get used to them. But, all in all, it was real fun. Since I've never had a bike before, I can't comment on how it compares to other bikes, but this one was smooth, and shifting was easy. I'm going to do some more practicing driving several miles, and coming back. I will be taking it slow, building up to the point on driving in a city/work.

Here is my ride:

DSCF1621.jpg

Glad that your happy with it. I stalled the bike on my 1st ride as I'm sure others here will admit to doing if they are honest. It's a bit like when you learned to ride a bike as a child or r to drive a car suddenly it all comes together and you find it second nature. just keep practising and you will soon be enjoying the bike to the full

Thanks all. Yep, I am excited about it. I'm going to go out in a bit and ride a mile or two, before I put it up for the evening (I don't want to get too cocky).

One of the things is I have to tip-toe, but I really didn't find that to be too bad although I wish I could be flat-footed while stopped.

Congratulations on the new ride. Your comments remind me of riding my 1st bike home 30 years ago. I had to ride on the highway about 30 miles to get home and the wind scared the hell out of me...I held the bars with a death grip. As Rocker said, it will all be second nature...Enjoy the ride and welcome!

Congratulations on your choice of machine. A lot of new riders (like my ladyfriend) are drawn in by the shiny stuff on most cruisers, unaware of the handling characteristics. You've selected a fantastic bike to learn on! :cool:

Congrats...and welcome! As a RiderCoach, all I'll tell you to do is practice, practice. The more you ride it, the better and more comfortable you"ll get. Don't ride above your skill level! (in other words, if something seems a little scary to you, don't do it!) And ride you own pace. Don't try to keep up with other riders, they will be more experienced than you are now. Enjoy your new bike, and ride it often!

Hi Rob
Welcome to the den and congratulations on your first bike and ride.

Your story reminded me of my first ride and also my first bike.
It was a Brand New Kawa KDS200SR (first one with upside down fork) and there were only 6 in my country.
I had won a bet with my dad, who swore that I could not pass my driver's license (for motorcycle). I passed, I was 17.

So when I collected my bike, it was all excitement and adrenaline and ALSO i was tiptoeing.
Bad thing happened then. The dealer was so cheap, he did not put any fuel in the bike (yeah, right). I had to steal some petrol from a nearby parked bike (using a water bottle) and then rode to the nearest petrol station.

All of us had our first bike. What was your story?
:D
(Hope it is ok to "hijack" your thread for "Your first bike"...?)
:p

No problem, Happy. I'll always remember yesterday when I first fired up my ride and took it home. It was great fun.

Once I master stopping/starting on a hill, I will be able to take it to work, saving me lots of $$ in gas. I'm glad Honda came out with a bike like this for a beginner like me. I don't have to worry about 'upgrading' for a long time (if ever)

Once I master stopping/starting on a hill, I will be able to take it to work, saving me lots of $$ in gas. I'm glad Honda came out with a bike like this for a beginner like me. I don't have to worry about 'upgrading' for a long time (if ever)

Hi Rob,

I use this when I go out sometimes (often to my office casual Friday). Maybe it can work for you?
(hey people, don't laugh ok, drastic requirements calls for drastic measures....now who said that before?)
:p
filashoe.jpg

Congrats, Rob - I'm considering an NC700X for my first bike, too. I did the MSF licensing thing almost five years ago and still haven't bought anything!

The NC700X I saw at the local dealer the other night was very impressive, and researching it today led me to find this forum.

Hey Happy, love those shoes. Maybe I'll have to look into those.

HD, the NC700X is just wonderful. I don't have any complaints about it, except maybe the seat could be a tad lower so I could put my feet flat on the ground. I don't think you could go wrong for a beginner's bike

When I first began road riding years ago, the strangest thing for me was the idea of pushing the handlebar into a turn. It was very counter-intuitive for me. But now it comes totally naturally -- if the road turns right, for example, you apply a little pressure away from you on your right hand. When you're ready to straighten out again, apply a little pressure on the left hand. Unless you're at a complete stand-still, I don't think there is ever a time when you would pull on the handlebar. Have fun, and keep the rubber side down!

PIR_398.jpg

Last edited:
Back