• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

My turn to BLEED

I haven't given blood for several years although I used to all the time. I was given lots of different inoculations prior to going to Iraq one of which was Anthrax. We were told not to give blood after that. I'm not sure how long that was for though and I need to check. I actually feel bad every time I see one of these trucks and I don't stop and give. They bring on to the Caterpillar facility every other month or once a quarter. Thanks for posting this. I need to find out what I can do.

If you have had mono you can not give blood. My wife had mono when she was a child from swimming in the bay. She really felt bad when my daughter was down with cancer, that she could not give.9.jpg

SmileyGuessSo.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
The rules are strict to protect patients. I was forbidden for 5 years after taking preventive malaria meds in Vietnam. Off list another year recently for visiting Cozumel, Mexico which is on their list as malaria area. Had mono as a child but it is not on questionnaire.

Being O negative (universal donor) they always ask me to give double reds to get all they can while they have me captive. Double reds takes a little longer, but is equivalent of 2 donations and must wait twice as long before giving again. Need a sweatshirt or other warm clothes though as when they put fluid back in they don't heat it first. 2 pints of cool fluid back in your veins can make you cold.

It is just a little time and minor discomfort but means life to someone else. If healthy and eligible consider donating.

I give as often as I can just for the 'karma' of it. Like maybe it will keep me from needing a donation someday.. I've never done double red cells before though. Maybe I'll see about that next month when they call me again.
Thanks Fuzzy

Fuzzy, I knew you were a good guy when I met you at Biketoberfest.

I told my brother that I'm one donation away from my 5 gallon license plate. He said something like, "Let me show you my 10 gallon one.". The more the better..

I'm closing in on 17 gallons. When I was a kid my Dad use to give every 8 weeks, I knew when he gave because we had liver for dinner that night. I started following in his footsteps almost 40 years ago. The wife and I took a cruise about 10 years ago and visited some ruins down in Belize, when I got back we had a blood drive at work and tried to give, questionaire asked about being out of the country, yes, visited any ruins, yes, sorry you can't give for a year, I was devastated.

I gave around 5 gallons or so while in the service, my shop NCO gave you the rest of the day off if you went after lunch :D

I'm closing in on 17 gallons. When I was a kid my Dad use to give every 8 weeks, I knew when he gave because we had liver for dinner that night. I started following in his footsteps almost 40 years ago. The wife and I took a cruise about 10 years ago and visited some ruins down in Belize, when I got back we had a blood drive at work and tried to give, questionaire asked about being out of the country, yes, visited any ruins, yes, sorry you can't give for a year, I was devastated.
17 gallons, 136 donations, IMPRESSIVE! Thank you.

I gave around 5 gallons or so while in the service, my shop NCO gave you the rest of the day off if you went after lunch :D

They still did the same while I was in. I have no idea how much blood I have give although I know it is a lot. Do they keep track? I used to have a little card but lost that long time ago.

I donate with the Red Cross, they sort of keep track...they have a new online system that should be accurate for the younger crowd. I am at 129 donations, I have my 16 gallon pin. ed

My wife has given about 7 gallons. One day years ago, late 70's, it was time to give again so we took my old BMW 900/6 out to the blood place to give. After, on the way back the wife started getting light headed and said PULL OVER NOW! We were next to Herman Park, I pulled over to the curb, she jumped off and headed for the grass and fell over and passed out. At least she didn't fall off he bike. Scared me at the time but I never let her forget it.

"I give blood and blood products almost nightly, without you guys donating people would die- THANK YOU"

I know this sounds like Joe Tx is a vampire, but believe me he is not. If you have a heart attack or stroke you will be happy to see Joe at the hospital!0.jpg

smileystar.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
I believe RNs who are skilled at getting a needle in diffficult veins are often refferred to as vampires by other RNs. Be thankful if the one with the vampire touch is the one poking a needle in you.

I'm retired now but the Blood Center came to our work place (Centerpoint Energy) every 8 weeks. About 3 years ago they had a new girl doing the poking and I could tell when she poked me it was not a good one. It was coming out so slow, others were giving and leaving and I was still there. They asked if they could try to reposition the needle, I said ok, but they finally gave up and the bag only ended up half full. I asked them if they could use it, they said they needed the whole pint so they would have to dispose of it, got credited with a pint but ended up with a big bruise. Some sticks are better than others.

Back