• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Brake bleed with ABS

nortonbrian

Reaction score
Visit site
trying to replace front brake fluid, opened bleed valve, high [normal] resistance at brake lever. Any special procedure with ABS on this bike?

Problem was sticking master cylinder piston when lever was pulled all the way in, bike been sitting for a long time. $16 dollar rebuild kit, all is well.

Last edited:
trying to replace front brake fluid, opened bleed valve, high [normal] resistance at brake lever. Any special procedure with ABS on this bike?
You should tell us your NC700X model year. I assume it’s a 700 due to the forum posted in. The 2012 and 13 ABS brakes are built differently than 2014+.

You should tell us your NC700X model year. I assume it’s a 700 due to the forum posted in. The 2012 and 13 ABS brakes are built differently than 2014+.
oops, its a 2012, removed the bleed screw completely, still resistance at the lever.

...its a 2012, removed the bleed screw completely,...
The first rule of brake bleeding - do not loosen the bleeding screw without pressurizing the system with the brake lever first. You don't want air getting into the system.

Capture.JPG

The first rule of brake bleeding - do not loosen the bleeding screw without pressurizing the system with the brake lever first. You don't want air getting into the system.

View attachment 53345
Ok, my bad, theres TWO bleed nipples on the front caliper. Found details on the Honda shop manual that someone kindly posted. Just learning about the bike which is always interesting.

I don't know to what extent you know about bleeding brakes.
For simple bleeding - first you need an assistant. You need a brake bleeding hose. Glass jar. Brake fluid. Metric 10 mm wrench.
Put one end of the bleeding tube on the bleeding screw. Put the other end into a jar and pour a little brake fluid so that the end of the hose is submerged. Be careful not to spill the brake fluid as it is corrosive. During the bleeding process, you will observe whether air bubbles continue to appear from the end of the hose immersed in the brake fluid in the jar. I am adding such comments because they are not included in the instructions from the service manual (below).

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Ok, my bad, theres TWO bleed nipples on the front caliper. Found details on the Honda shop manual that someone kindly posted. Just learning about the bike which is always interesting.
If you loosened/removed the wrong front caliper bleed screw, thinking you were just working with the front master cylinder, then go ahead complete the front with the proper procedure and proper bleed screw. Then do the rear, which will include one piston on the front caliper. You’ll need to get any potential air out of the center slave cylinder up front. See the plumbing diagram posted earlier, post #5.

Back