• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

My first run to my work in the city

Hey there JDE, I'm with you on the retractable sunvisor. My EXO900 helmet has that feature and I just loooooove it, and the excellent peripheral vision it offers is worth bonus points (in my book). Its convenient having the built-in sunvisor, not another something to carry and lose, also, the tinting covers the upper 2/3 or so, leaving the immediate area clear, particularly the instrumentation and road before you. I got the Neon High-Visibility yellow. Not trying to coordinate/match the bike. I want to be seen.

I love my retractable sunshield especially when riding home from night shift on days like today with the sun low in the sky and facing me. It is handy being able to flip it up when riding uner trees or when the sun is blocked by things such as flyovers. You cant do that with sunglasses. Also with the variable weather in the UK the ability to do this is very usefull
This is one of the reasons that I bought my Caeberg Konda to wear on my commute. The other being it's colour Hi Viz yellow with reflective areas

:D

In case I am misunderstood.
I love the DESIGN of these retractable sunshields. I also wish I had one.

I am just not sure of the quality of material used, which can range from Schuberth C3 to the Probiker (cheap one I bought).
I do not ride too much, so perhaps it may not impact me too much. For a person who may commute daily in the bright sun (eg: a courier boy), he might inadvertently suffer eye damage in the longer term.
That was my concern.

Therefore (in the end) I opted for old school sunglasses with proven optics and sun protection (or maybe they are also not good enough?).
:p
+++++++
Allow me to bore you with the science.

When the sight is very bright, your eye pupils (adjustable holes in your eyes become smaller) will become smaller and allow less light through.
This reaction protects the inside of your eyes (the special cells which receive the light) and also it coincides with the logic that more light means better conditions for focus.

When the sight is very dark (low light), the pupil dilates (hole becomes bigger) and allows more light to pass to the back of your inner eyes. This means more light goes through, and in the case of sunlight, more UV rays go through.
This enables your eye to focus better with limited amount of light. (some even call this night vision mode)

Now, if the sunglass or shield is NOT properly designed (or with poor quality materials), with UV-protection (not just a sticker saying it), and with proper tint (darkness level) of the glass / shield, the eyes can actually be damaged, if the quality of the shield is not good.

Meaning it makes your sight dark (sunglass effect), it lets more light pass and also dangerous UV lights (if it does not filter good enough), tricking the eye it is dark.

This constant stream of high UV rays (if not blocked) will cause long term damage (slowly) to your eyes.

A quick proof of such damage, is the snowblindness some skiers experience when they forget their goggles or their sunglasses on a specially sunny day.

PS: Do not buy those 9.99 sunglasses at fairs which has stickers saying UV400 or UV100 , 100% UV type of stickers.
For that price, you cannot get UV protection.

+++++++++++

Last edited:
LOL, yes. That is the other side of the coin. That's very true. This year, I discovered my eyes do not switch so quickly compared to my younger days when going from bright to dark and vice versa too.

FYI, the tunnels here are designed with chromatic lightings, meaning more light at the beginning, then slowly less light after say 100m, 200m....they gradually taper off. They allow the eyes (not just motorcyclists, but all motorists) to adjust their eyes slowly to the tunnel lightings.

Of course, not every country in Europe can afford this. So far, I am ok with the tunnels over here.

But good point.

I also love those specially designed helmets which look like fighterjet pilots helmets.
But do you know how much the real shield for these fighter pilot helmets cost?
Around US10k. No kidding.

They have gold dust in them to shield the sun from the eyes.

Of course we can argue we are not so near the sun...

Last edited:
Well, my motorcycle riding days may have to take a vacation. I have 2 bulging discs in my neck (along with arthritis and a bone spur) that was found in a MRI this past week. My left arm has been hurting quite a bit for the past 1.5 months, but I didn't let that stop me from riding my bike. Anyway, went to a pain clinic and got an ESI shot in my neck to help alleviate the pain. The doc says that I should start feeling better by Monday, but I am on my way to Chicago for a week of training, so my follow-up is on Monday, Sept 10. If the pain hasn't improved, then he will have me scheduled for immediate neck surgery, with a stay in the hospital. I don't plan on going down that route, but if I do, I just know I'll be incapacitated for a while...I just can't bear having my NC700X sit in my garage idle...ugh! I got bit by the motorcycle bug so bad that it is killing me just thinking about it. I'm glad it is pouring rain today so I don't feel so bad not riding it today (I can't drive for 24 hours). But, I'm glad I did ride to the city Wednesday evening as that was alot of fun.

Here's hoping that shot works or else next week is gonna be a LONG week sitting in a classroom thinking what the doc will do next.

Well, my motorcycle riding days may have to take a vacation. I have 2 bulging discs in my neck (along with arthritis and a bone spur) that was found in a MRI this past week. My left arm has been hurting quite a bit for the past 1.5 months, but I didn't let that stop me from riding my bike. Anyway, went to a pain clinic and got an ESI shot in my neck to help alleviate the pain. The doc says that I should start feeling better by Monday, but I am on my way to Chicago for a week of training, so my follow-up is on Monday, Sept 10. If the pain hasn't improved, then he will have me scheduled for immediate neck surgery, with a stay in the hospital. I don't plan on going down that route, but if I do, I just know I'll be incapacitated for a while...I just can't bear having my NC700X sit in my garage idle...ugh! I got bit by the motorcycle bug so bad that it is killing me just thinking about it. I'm glad it is pouring rain today so I don't feel so bad not riding it today (I can't drive for 24 hours). But, I'm glad I did ride to the city Wednesday evening as that was alot of fun.

Here's hoping that shot works or else next week is gonna be a LONG week sitting in a classroom thinking what the doc will do next.

Sorry to read this Rob. Sounds nasty.
I hope it works out well for you.

In the meantime, you can still lug along an iPAD or wireless smartphone and still keep in touch with us fellows over here in cyberworld.
We can keep you company.

Thanks, Happy! I've just been sitting in my easy chair surfing the net all day. My wife took off today to drive me to Columbia and back (we had to get up at 4:30am...yawn) and took a nap. I tried, but my neck hurts from the injection (and my arm still hurts, although the doc says my arm still may hurt until 2-3 days for it to take affect..IF it works). I told my wife I may lie to the doc to avoid surgery but she said she'll tell the doc the truth since she knows if my arm feels better or not (such a tattle-tail...hehe)

Ouch...sounds more painful than my Cryotherapy on my 10-year-old keloid growing in the middle of my chest....I did that on Monday...still hurts (itches) like shit. Not riding this week. Maybe next.
The rain here, also helps.

Better get yours fixed asap, lying is just delaying the problem.

Here is a like for you and a prayer will soon follow! I hope all goes well and your riding the wheels off your NC!

Thanks Happy and turbo. I can't wait for Monday as that is the latest day for me to find out if the procedure worked. These next 2 days are going to be long. Anyway, I can't wait to ride my NCX again. I went out to the garage earlier this evening to just crank it up. Love that engine sound :eek:

Heyy robnpat, I'm excited to hear that you had a great experience tooling into town. Sorry to hear that a spanner has been thrown in the works. I hope that your time spent off the NC700 is a swift one, and that your recuperation time is equally so (should you need to take the long road home). The NC will be waiting for you when you're ready, and we're here for you too. I'm pulling for ya!!

Thanks all. Well, Monday came and went and my arm/shoulder is no better, so I know what that means :mad:
I'm in Chicago this week for training, and I had to bail this afternoon as I was so quesy from the meds so I headed back to the hotel so I can hurl in peace. I won't get home until early Sat morn (about 1am) as the only flight home that wasn't booked was at 11pm. I can't wait for Monday. But, sooner the better so I can get back on my NC and ride.

Thanks all. Well, Monday came and went and my arm/shoulder is no better, so I know what that means :mad:
I'm in Chicago this week for training, and I had to bail this afternoon as I was so quesy from the meds so I headed back to the hotel so I can hurl in peace. I won't get home until early Sat morn (about 1am) as the only flight home that wasn't booked was at 11pm. I can't wait for Monday. But, sooner the better so I can get back on my NC and ride.

Take care and get well soon....
:)

Back