• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

My first run to my work in the city

robnpat

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Gonna do a 'dry' run this evening to my work, which is about 40 miles from my house. It'll be my first time going from a 2-lane highway, to a 4-lane highway to city driving. I haven't driven in the city yet (stoplights, on/off ramps to the highway, stop/go traffic, etc) so this will be interesting. I figured I would do my first run when there will be light traffic, and then if everything goes ok, I plan on taking it to work tomorrow morning. If I get to city limits by at least 7am, traffic is a little lighter than, say, 7:30-8am. I work in the middle of the city so I have alot of stoplights to go through so it will be interesting.

Crossing my fingers. Anyone have helpful tips? :cool:

robpat. You're on the right track... dry run of the route and planning to get there early. Relax, breathe, always check the oncoming lanes before rolling, and remember... the "friction zone" is your friend ;-)

Thanks. Living in a rural area gives me 'freedom' to practice on a 2 lane highway with light traffic, but going to a 4 lane makes me nervous, with traffic passing by faster than you, or me passing slower traffic, and merging traffic from an off-ramp. I'll be sweating it for sure, but will be a major accomplishment in my quest to be a good motorcycle rider

Making yourself visible is important when riding in conjested traffic. Also be fully aware that the rush hour traffic is the most hurried, distracted, preoccupied crowd you will deal with. Assume your are invisible to them.

The silver NC700X is a dull color, so wear bright clothing and helmet. I wear a dayglo jacket and white helmet. I've also added flashing "third' brake lights as well as a headlight modulator.

Greg

It seems like idiots make their presence in Jeff City during rush hour. You just won't believe some of these dumb drivers...ugh! And I won't even mention when it rains!

You have some beautiful scenery in your area. I lived in St Elizabeth for a very short time a long time ago.

I live in Vienna (well actually between Vienna and Freeburg) on Hwy 63. Scenery is nice, but the highway is whacked :p too many accidents of people speeding or not paying attention and flying through curves

Good luck robnpat! Remember to always give yourself the 2 second rule between vehicles and start the stopping process early. Don't do like some of my sportbike buddy's do-and haul Ass right up to the rear bumper of the car in front of you. Take your time and don't be intimidated by impatient "cagers". Also think about taking a MSF rider course if you haven't already.

Well, I made it. There was even road construction on our 2 lane hwy (about a 15 minute wait...ugh), but I made it just fine. One thing I didn't take into consideration was the sun. It wasn't as bad as it could have been, but I'll make sure I'm ready for it next time.

BigMike, I took the BRC course in the beginning of Aug. It was great, but I wish it would teach 'traffic' scenarios but I also know it is a beginner's course in a secure environment

Glad you made it!

I ride east in the morning and west in the evening. Yes the sun is in my eyes both ways. At least i go to work before the sun rises and head home after it sets.

Glad you made it!

I ride east in the morning and west in the evening. Yes the sun is in my eyes both ways. At least i go to work before the sun rises and head home after it sets.

Is it just me, or has the sun (in recent years) become much more brighter and it hurts my eyes if I ride without any sun-protection glasses,etc...
?
We call it snowblindness here...

Stopping short of becoming a preacher, is one sure of the sun-blocking qualities of that "integrated sunshield" which comes in most flip-helmets nowadays? Are you slowly killing your eyes?

I mean I just got one cheapo helmet for my wife for 69euros and it also came with a built-in sunshield.
I'd rather trust my 20 year old raybans....
I am old school, in this aspect.
:cool:

I'll trust my retractable sun shield as I tend to ride durning sundown and sunrise at times depending on the time of year, going to or coming home from work. I love that it's built in to the helmet and all I have to do is flip a switch to either have the shade or not. It's SSSSOOOOO much easier than pulling over to take off or put on sunglasses, or worse yet just leaving them on the whole trip when it's starting to get dark outside.

Back