• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

My CalSci windshield

I have a Givi shield which need to be a little taller. I was thinking of mounting the stock Honda windshield to the top of the Givi windshield, about 4"of it sticking above the givi shield. I know it won't look as good as a factory shield but it is cheaper that buying another shield. Aline it up and drill some four holes. Hope it will keep the wind and noise off my head.

Take a look at these: Bruudt Windscreen Adjusters for Honda NC700X NC700 x 700 X | eBay I'm using a pair to bump my Parabellum shield a bit higher. They'll give you an extra 3" or so, and they look better than a Jenga tower of windshields.

Hard to believe that Calsci is using smaller bolts than the honda installation since they have to go in the same mounts. Another contributor to the screens popping out?.. Pretty sure also that dales plates will use the same bolts as the standard honda install. Did the new bolts you got work with the honda plates??

Last edited:
Yes, I went to Home Depot the other night and bought some M6x30MM bolts (phillips head, longer than the M6 bolts that came with the Honda Touring screen, the longest version HD carried) to allow for me to install two clear spacers on each side on the screen. However, I also ordered some longer allen head M6 40MM bolts that should arrive in the next couple of days which will allow me to use all three spacers on each side. Here are the M6x40MM bolts I bought: https://www.belmetric.com/sb6x40-button-head-p-3848.html?cPath=6_341_377. This is a great website for metric bolts, etc.

Your comment makes me wonder, though...do Dale's custom nut plates work with M5 or M6 bolts? I am hoping M6, or I will need to buy some more 40MM M5 bolts to work with his nut plates...although I really like the more sturdy M6 bolts...so I may just end up leaving the smaller Honda Touring Screen nut plates installed.

I would think his plates take the same bolts as the honda plates.

Dale's plates use the stock mounting bolts from the factory screen. If the accessory 'tall' screen uses different bolts, you'll want to find the original ones to use with his plates.

trey

Your comment makes me wonder, though...do Dale's custom nut plates work with M5 or M6 bolts? I am hoping M6, or I will need to buy some more 40MM M5 bolts to work with his nut plates...although I really like the more sturdy M6 bolts...so I may just end up leaving the smaller Honda Touring Screen nut plates installed.

the nut plates that i have are 5mm, but i am making some this weekend in 6mm to try on the Honda touring shield, this would let you raise it higher then the stock position, and would still have four mounting holes for adjustment, if the work i will have them on Tuesday,, dale

Sounds good Dale. I received your 5mm nut plates in the mail today (Thanks!) that you just sent to me, but, I'd like to buy your new 6mm version too, so please send me another PayPal invoice for me to pay and then you can ship the 6mm plates out to me when you have them. Thanks! Jonathan

After a long absence, i"m back on the forum. A quick update on the CalSci windscreen i bought last fall. After it interfered with full steering raduis, i sent it back to CalSci and they cut deeper cuts in the inset wings to accomodate the NC700X bars. i just re-installed it and I can turn lock-to-lock without hitting. CalSci didn't offer to pay for shipping it back, but they made the mods fast and returned it. i haven't ridden it yet re-installed, but i can't imagine a problem since they only cut out about an ince off the sides.

on a separate question, can someone recommend a lowering linkage for the NC700X? i'd like to lower the height of the bike by about an inch since i am inseam-challenged.

thanks!

Since several on this Forum have had problems with the CalSci screens interfering with the NC's bars at full lock, has CalSci made modifications to the newer screens they are putting out now, or still using the original design?

After a long absence, i"m back on the forum. A quick update on the CalSci windscreen i bought last fall. After it interfered with full steering raduis, i sent it back to CalSci and they cut deeper cuts in the inset wings to accomodate the NC700X bars. i just re-installed it and I can turn lock-to-lock without hitting. CalSci didn't offer to pay for shipping it back, but they made the mods fast and returned it. i haven't ridden it yet re-installed, but i can't imagine a problem since they only cut out about an ince off the sides.

on a separate question, can someone recommend a lowering linkage for the NC700X? i'd like to lower the height of the bike by about an inch since i am inseam-challenged.

thanks!
E-Rock I also have an NCXD. I lowered with KoubaLink lowering link part #NC700-2 from KoubaLink.com. It lowered the back 1 3/8 inches and I lowered the front 3/4 inches per Koubalink.
I have had no trouble with this set up and would recommend it. I also have a ROX riser, 2inch that worked with my Calsci medium with out mods. I am 5ft 7in and this works great for me.
I am from Pembroke Mass, What town are you from?
I hope this is helpful.
Bob Carter

I have a cal-si med. I was able to use the three spacers per side and the screws were the right size. My bike is the DCT & I have hand guards and aftermarket mirrors. I had to trim the shield on both sides.

Just purchased a new NC700X with Honda touring windscreen. The windscreen needs to be taller and definitely wider. I am interested in the large Cal Sci windscreen if it can be mounted to the steel bracket which came with my Honda touring windscreen. Has anyone out there tried this or contacted Cal Sci about this type of installation?

Just purchased a new NC700X with Honda touring windscreen. The windscreen needs to be taller and definitely wider. I am interested in the large Cal Sci windscreen if it can be mounted to the steel bracket which came with my Honda touring windscreen. Has anyone out there tried this or contacted Cal Sci about this type of installation?

I've been wondering the same thing myself. I have the Honda touring screen and am using a wind deflector to push the air up to the top of my helmet, but during the colder months, I might want a bigger windscreen like the Cal sci. It would be nice to use the mounting bracket from the Honda touring screen.

Hello everyone. New to the forum, but its nice to I'm not the only one have run into the same problem. Solution.
I had the tall oem Honda screen but it was not wider or tall enough. Bought Cal Sci screen sport model but wanted to keep the mounting system of the oem. The Cal Sci screen is very flexible. I just had to mount with original oem tall screen support and drilled two corresponding holes where the oem holes should have been. Went to orchard supply hardware and got same thread screw but slightly longer. Maybe dumb luck but it works great and its rock solid. Solid enough that I covered that annoying hole in the front if the screen without any detrimental effects to the screen or rider. Hope this helps

Hello everyone. New to the forum, but its nice to I'm not the only one have run into the same problem. Solution.
I had the tall oem Honda screen but it was not wider or tall enough. Bought Cal Sci screen sport model but wanted to keep the mounting system of the oem. The Cal Sci screen is very flexible. I just had to mount with original oem tall screen support and drilled two corresponding holes where the oem holes should have been. Went to orchard supply hardware and got same thread screw but slightly longer. Maybe dumb luck but it works great and its rock solid. Solid enough that I covered that annoying hole in the front if the screen without any detrimental effects to the screen or rider. Hope this helps

If you get a chance could you post a pic?

Thanks for the reply

forum pic.jpg I guess I should have posted this with the original comment, sorry.... don’t ask why I painted the cover white, bored probably!

Well, this seems to be the main Cal Sci windshield thread, so I thought I'd post up my most recent impressions.... not great.

Last week I emailed them inquiring about a replacement and attached these pictures....

Untitled by treybrad, on Flickr

I explained that I had only had the screen since winter, and this small crack had appeared. It isn't near the mounting holes, it's right in the middle, and IMO is a manufacturing defect.

Well... here's the reply I got from Cal Sci....

You can have a replacement screen for $50.

Mark

That's it. Not what I was expecting.

I was expecting an apologetic tone at least, and hoping they'd stand behind their (expensive) product and support the customer.

Am I asking too much? A $200 screen that cracks in 5 months? Let's say I pay $50 and it cracks in 5 months again... what now? I'm on a $120/year replacement program? And that's not including the initial cost...

The whole thing just rubbed me the wrong way. I was really happy with the screen, I had even stopped reading all of the other threads on screens because I was all set in my mind....

Yesterday, after I got the email, I noticed it had managed to crack all the way through....

It doesn't seem to make any difference aside from the aesthetics. The mounting is still solid (Dale's nut plates -- aweseome), no additional flex. I guess I'll just leave it as is until something happens unless y'all can see this being a potential hazard somehow.

:(

Needless to say, I'm off the bandwagon.

trey

*edited to add... I try to go with smaller vendors when I can. I bought the Cal Sci over a Givi, a Beowulf exhaust instead of a Yoshi or Leo, Seat Concepts seat vs. Corbin, etc, etc. I do this because I think it's good to support smaller business. And while it usually costs a little more, above average customer service usually makes up for it. I guess Cal Sci didn't get the memo though.

Last edited:
I try to go with smaller vendors when I can. I bought the Cal Sci over a Givi, a Beowulf exhaust instead of a Yoshi or Leo, Seat Concepts seat vs. Corbin, etc, etc. I do this because I think it's good to support smaller business. And while it usually costs a little more, above average customer service usually makes up for it. I guess Cal Sci didn't get the memo though.

Sorry to hear that. I'd normally go extra mile to support small guys but sometimes they might get too busy and totally forget about us the customers who helped to build their business. If you like supporting the smaller guy, I am totally sold on Madstad looks awesome and very practical too IMHO.

Last edited:
Back