• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

My CalSci windshield

Some new observations on my CalSci...

When I installed Dale's plates Sunday, I mounted my CalSci Medium in the upper position to try it since I had only used it in the lower position up to that point. Well... bad idea.

I don't know how moving it an inch up made such a negative impact, but it did. With it raised, I had a loud, low frequency turbulence/drumming wind noise that wasn't present before. I always wear earplugs, and it was still loud. So last night I moved it back to the lower setting and voila, problem solved. I'm back in nice, clean air.

So, if you're not 100% happy with your screen, try it in the other position. I had no idea the small adjustment would make such a big impact, and I never thought raising it would create more wind noise / turbulence.

YMMV.

trey

Do these windscreens do anything as far as wind protection for your hands? I know you would think the answer is no... but my VFR provides wind protection for my hands due to the shape of the front fairing even though it is nowhere near the handlebar grips.
On another note I have seen some LED hand guards on ebay (UK) that double as turn signals. Anyone tried these yet?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Hand-guards-Integrated-Indicators-Suitable-For-Honda-Interceptor-ABS-NC700-/190782696533?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2c6b88ec55

Last edited:

When I installed Dale's plates Sunday, I mounted my CalSci Medium in the upper position to try it since I had only used it in the lower position up to that point. Well... bad idea.

I don't know how moving it an inch up made such a negative impact, but it did. With it raised, I had a loud, low frequency turbulence/drumming wind noise that wasn't present before. I always wear earplugs, and it was still loud. So last night I moved it back to the lower setting and voila, problem solved. I'm back in nice, clean air.

So, if you're not 100% happy with your screen, try it in the other position. I had no idea the small adjustment would make such a big impact, and I never thought raising it would create more wind noise / turbulence.

YMMV.

trey[/QUOT

good info...thanks for sharing that Trey!

I don't know how moving it an inch up made such a negative impact, but it did. With it raised, I had a loud, low frequency turbulence/drumming wind noise that wasn't present before and I never thought raising it would create more wind noise / turbulence.

YMMV.

trey

Very beleivable been there with several other bikes and the v-strom guys wrote volumes on the subject. Screen may need to be at eye level to lower the sound and drumming levels. Or just go with the wind at chest level.

Hello all,
Is there a consensus on which of the various screens on the market is most effective at reducing/eliminating wind noise up to 50 mph? Or is it just not possible to eliminate wind noise? I bought a close-face helmet for the first time, and find the wind noise overbearing and am ready to buy a larger windshield. (I'm 5-8). Thanks.
Paul

First step to noise comfort is wearing ear plugs. You can go a multitude of routes, but ear plugs are a must if you're going to be riding any length of time. Unless it's with the stock screen. That thing is useless. You should always wear plugs when riding with that thing.

Second, and I'm sad to say, there will probably never be a consensus. Too many variables and differences in comfort thresholds. If you know what you're after, you can look through the choices and pick one that gets close. If you're comfortable with tools, you can modify an existing one (Givi is a good choice for this option). You could also contact an aftermarket windshield company and request a special order.

There's also the possibility that the helmet you bought amplifies wind noise. There are things you can do to help that, from wind barriers like the Wind Jammer to stuffing extra padding under the helmet liner.

Your best bet is a shield that's adjustable, but there's only one option on that front that I know of (Madstad) and while I'm absolutely sure (from past experience) that it'll work... I'm not a fan of the look. If you go that route, ask Mark if he can do the 18" "Sport SD" or "Sport CS" style which should go well with your height. The "Adventure" just looks awful (on the NCX, it's perfect for other bikes).

If you're fairly handy with tools (or an obsessive tinkerer with lots of spare bike parts laying around) you can make your own. That's what I did, heh. Not pretty, but... pretty functional.

Hello all,
Is there a consensus on which of the various screens on the market is most effective at reducing/eliminating wind noise up to 50 mph? Or is it just not possible to eliminate wind noise? I bought a close-face helmet for the first time, and find the wind noise overbearing and am ready to buy a larger windshield. (I'm 5-8). Thanks.
Paul

I would start with ear plugs...............

Thanks Cagedodger. Ear plugs for me is tough, because I have hearing aids. These have an "outdoor" setting, which I have tried with volume turned down, but a big hassle. The madstad looks like a great option because of all the adjustability! And really appreciate the idea to ask Mark for the 18".

Hello all,
Paul

My CalSci knocked the wind noise down a bunch! BUT on the way home from work today, the wind was madding. Here is an excerpt from webbikeworld.
"For the record, it's our opinion that riding a motorcycle is a very noisy endeavor. The noise that is generated is always loud enough to be dangerous to human health and can easily cause permanent hearing damage. We believe that high quality, correctly fitted earplugs are essential for motorcycle riding, and we wear them on every ride without fail. High levels of noise are proven to be very stressful and can cause a loss of concentration, and the noise can quickly and permanently damage your hearing, and hearing loss is irreversible.
How do we know this? Two members of our staff have indeed suffered permanent hearing loss and moderate to severe tinnitus, due to exposure to unhealthy noise levels. Hearing loss is permanent, and we urge you to take the utmost care in protecting your hearing.
So there's no getting around the fact that motorcycle riding creates high noise levels, and the discussion isn't about whether a helmet is noisy or quiet. There is no such thing as a quiet helmet, period. Noise levels over 85 dB or so can damage hearing, and a motorcycle idles around 80 dB.''
Motorcycle Helmet Noise - webBikeWorld

Screen may need to be at eye level to lower the sound and drumming levels. Or just go with the wind at chest level.

That's it exactly. If the shield directs the wind at your chest or over your head, it can help reduce noise. If it's concentrating the wind right into your head, it makes wind noise worse.

Wind noise. Funny thing is I've been riding a Harley Sportster for 10 years with a Memphis Shades windshield and a 3/4 helmet. I never noticed wind noise, but that's because the only thing I hear is the engine exhaust! That's why I was so looking forward to the NC700 after reading the review comments about it being a quiet bike.

Deedub, great idea, even if pricey. Wonder what kind of results people are getting with just the stock windshield?
How does the Parabellum do with wind noise? Otherwise, do you like it?
I plan to ship the NC700 to Maryland when I go home in March -- we'll have to plan a ride. The bike's now in FL where the roads are straight and flat - a waste of a sport bike; a Harley makes much more sense in FL. Paul

Hi everyone. This is my first post. i also bought the CalSci Sport windscreen last fall. installed it and loved it. until i realized that it wont allow my bars to move lock to lock. the screen hits the front brake reservoir. i have the DCT, so not the same problem on the other side. CalSci first said i should adjust my bars. tried that and no better. CalSci now has said to ship it back to them and they will trim it down and ship back to me no charge. BTW, i'm 5'8" and have it installed in the higher setting (there are two) and it is just right. if i sit up real straight then get a little buffetting atht eh top of my helmet. Plan to send out to CalSci sometime in next few weeks and i'll update this post.

Back