• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

My 700 Adventure idea - would it work?

Koolbikegirl

Reaction score
Visit site
hi all *waves
I'm new to bikes my (beautiful) 700 is my first bigger engine, I passed my test in October 2012.
On a sleepless night I was reading this blog
https://nomadsmoto.wordpress.com/the-route/

I got to thinking, I'd like to buy a new 700/750 in the US and ride right round the coastal area (with a few detours inland) but I'd like other 700/750 owners to meet me and ride with me for short (or long) parts of the journey, show me some local sights and maybe offer me a bed for the night. I'm a lone 50 something female, the point of my adventure (not that any ride needs a point, in fact the point of course is the ride!) would be to get to know other owners and their favourite rides and see the US from a different viewpoint.

would you - the community - comment please on
1. would anyone be up for meeting/helping me?
2. what advice would you offer?

i suppose my first dilemma is - how would I go about buying a new 700/750 when I don't live in the US and is it possible to register and insure a bike without a US address? shipping a UK registered bike is possible but not cheap which is why I thought buying one in the US might be the way to go?

I'm looking forward to your input. thanks in advance :)

3. can you think of any other challenges?

I'm not sure, but maybe renting a post box would be sufficient for insurance and registration purposes? I can't think of any reason it wouldn't work, in California at least.

I see a fair number of lightly used NC's for sale with luggage and accessories included. That's what I'd go for.

I'm not sure, but maybe renting a post box would be sufficient for insurance and registration purposes? I can't think of any reason it wouldn't work, in California at least.

I see a fair number of lightly used NC's for sale with luggage and accessories included. That's what I'd go for.

that sounds brilliant maybe I need to start in CA. thanks for your input.
may I ask where you see them advertised could you link me?

[...renting is proper expensive for a trip that could take me 6 months...]

It could be equally expensive to buy a used bike and need to sell it before leaving for home. The only way to ensure a quick sale is to price it very low and even then, there is no promise that someone will buy it within a set amount of time. Buying a used bike from a dealer with the arrangement that they'll buy it back at trip's end, with proper deductions for mileage and any damage, might be a way to make it happen.

Just so you'll know, the NC700X is not popular and a DCT model is even less popular. Way too many people over here think a motorcycle is called a "Harley-Davidson."

Can't help you with anything "near the coast"
Depending on which coast you are talking about I'm about as far from the coast as you are from Moscow (as the crow flies).

It sounds like your 6 month plan already has a handle on just how big the US is... but keep in mind just how big the US is. I've talked to far to many people coming into the US expecting to see the grand canyon, yellow stone, and visit new york city... in a couple of weeks... Not that much different from American tourists who go to europe and plan to visit (by car) london, paris, and rome, in a long weekend.

I'd point you to craigslist for a used bike, check out all the cities you could potentially start out in, and see if there are any used NC's there... you won't find any 750's in the states (Honda doesn't think we can be trusted with the extra power or something) You may find a few DCT's out there...

Back to just how big the country is... you might want to consider just how comfortable a stock NC is going to be for 6 months... just a thought.

Some dealers will take bikes on consignment (which means it's the dealers problem to sell the bike, but you don't get any cash until they do) which could work for when it's time to go home...

Also there are services (vary from state to state) that will give you a "real" postal address and then forward your mail to what ever address you give them... they are used frequently by RVer's who don't have an address... I believe they are mostly in TX and SD for tax reasons (if you have a home address you pay taxes in that state, each state does taxes differently) You'll have to check the local laws for insurance for each state you plan to pass through for what coverage is required, and you'll have to figure out if you need to have an address in the same state you purchased/plan to sell the bike in (each state has their own license plates, and registration system for motor vehicles so it'd be easiest to buy and sell in the same state.)

If you do start in CA keep in mind CA goes crazy with their legislation compared to the rest of the country (toughest emissions codes, probably highest taxes, actual factual check points to make sure you aren't bringing outside fruit into the state, etc.)
Generally travel between the states is easy (honestly CA is the only place I've ever seen a check point for not bringing in fruit where they block the whole highway... a few other places have check points on the side of the road for cattle and swine and such, but I doubt you'd be hauling those on a bike) but some states require helmets, some don't, some require a helmet to be on the bike, but not necessarily on your head, some don't allow for speakers in the helmet, some only allow for one speaker, etc. generally you won't get hassled for anything that a cop couldn't see from his cruiser, but it's always good to at least be aware of what laws you plan on breaking before you cross the state lines.
this site has a nice over view: State-by-state motorcycle laws

[...renting is proper expensive for a trip that could take me 6 months...]

It could be equally expensive to buy a used bike and need to sell it before leaving for home. The only way to ensure a quick sale is to price it very low and even then, there is no promise that someone will buy it within a set amount of time. Buying a used bike from a dealer with the arrangement that they'll buy it back at trip's end, with proper deductions for mileage and any damage, might be a way to make it happen.

Just so you'll know, the NC700X is not popular and a DCT model is even less popular. Way too many people over here think a motorcycle is called a "Harley-Davidson."

thank you so much you did make me laugh. in secret circles here we call them harley goes anywhere!
I have family in toronto so I'm thinking maybe they would help me sell/buy I honestly can't see renting one being a plan as you say still not a common bike. I won't really mind if its not a dct I just thought the bike would be worth something at the end long as I'm not in a rush to sell. and yes I had thought an arrangement with a dealer but I wasn't planning on returning in my head it was a one long route type of trip.

thanks again tho :)

anglachel thank you very much. that's all brilliant advice. tbh if it takes a year I'm ok with that. I'm not that fussed about the route either I was particularly interested in meeting and riding a little with other nc owners and getting the experience of the adventure. I did also think about the 'numb bum' problem. I'm in the process of sorting my own bike and I thought if the model is the same I'd bring my comfy seat or failing that bring a comfy replacement seat for what I plan to buy. :)
please keep up the input its really helpful.
maybe some of you guys should just come here ill ride around the uk with you, it will only take a month or two lol!

Last edited:
I'm not on the coast by any means, but if you were inland in my area, I could put you up for a night or two, we usually Host Exchange Students, so we are accustomed to giving someone a "room to say in"......Sounds like something I'd love to do, but my job does not offer me much time off, so no big adventures for me....

If you come inland a bit to Arkansas I would be happy to host you. Northern Arkansas has wonderful riding.

If you purchase a bike in Canada you would need to also sell it in Canada. Transferring vehicles between Canada and the U.S. isn’t easy. Canada has the 750 where the U.S. only has the 700 so I doubt you could even sell a 750 in the U.S. If you purchase in California you can sell it in any other state but because California has different emission rules you can’t always do the reverse. In some ways California is like a different country.

I would do some research on advrider.com. There you can find people that have done this type of trip, know the ins and outs of how to do it and are very willing to share their knowledge.

What Bama said. I would recommend putting a thread on advrider also. They a have a thread for tent/space sharing. People list where they are and what amenities are available. I'm on it. If you do make it around the Arkansas / N. Louisiana area I have a place for you to stay and lots of good eating! You can pm me for phone # and email if your trip brings you close by.
I think buying a used one and selling at end of the trip is a good idea. As said , buy in the states sell in the states.
Once you have concrete plans, start calling dealers near the end destination to see if any would be willing to put the bike on consignment.
I would be more than willing to ride several hundred miles with you. With enough notice, maybe more than that. I haven't been to the west coast since I was a kid.

Sounds like fun to me. I might be able to meet up and go for a ride, depends on the timing, as I have a very demanding boss (my 5 month old). We're coastal in Southern California, though not sure how long we'll be here. The west coast is beautiful, but it would be a shame to come all the way here and miss Yosemite, the Grand Canyon, and the National Parks in Utah. I don't think it would be difficult to find an NC here, I've seen at least one at both of the Honda dealers I've been to recently - I think one was even a 2012, and priced accordingly.

Did someone say "Hillbilly Hangout"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll be there............................................................................

I suggest shipping your bike. Check with Austin Vince, a fellow Brit. AustinVince.com He responds to email. [email protected].

I also have a detailed US tour on a xl spreadsheet that was done by another Brit. PM your email and I'll send it to you.

I have no idea what you should do on the bike front, but if you do go through Utah (which you absolutely should!) I would love to ride with you. If my wife and I find a house by then, you would be welcome to stay with us too!

If you do start in Toronto and do the eastern side first, go down to the south (Arkansas,Louisiana,Alabama) then head west to Grand Canyon/Utah then California, then north up the west coast, I would be glad to show you some of my backyard here in Washington. We also have an extra room. You could then go to Vancouver BC to sell/consign your bike too. We have coast line, rain forests, volcanoes, desert like scrub lands, canyons, islands and some pretty nice people around here. Sounds like you are planning quite the adventure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back