• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Madstad deflectors evaluation.

NCer

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello, all!I put this topic in a new thread so, that all who have the deflectors could voice their opinion in one place, making it easier for others.Guess I'll go first.I am 5'10", 32 in seam rider. My Madstad is a 20" Sport SD screen and the plate has the flanges to mount the deflectors. They fall basically behind front turn signals.

After a very short 1st ride today (back and leg are bothering me) with Madstad with / without deflectors here are my thoughts:
1. Madstad, in general, is 200% improvement from Puig screen with Puig deflector I used before! Yeah! Much more air on my chest (not unpleasant though... not too much pressure), but the air is absolutely smooth over my helmet. NO BUFFETING! ZERO! I played with different heights and various angles, but for me it seems to work best in the lowest position 55-60 degr. angle. Just like Madstad recommends.

2. Deflectors - they increase the noise level maybe 10-15%, but take a lot of air from your hips and sides. I consider it a valuable addition to the screen!

EDIT: There is no problem with turning handlebar from lock to lock with STORM guards on.

Note: Today I went out without my regular earplugs, wearing the Shoei Neotec, just to better sense the differences. Tell you what - It was so much quieter in my helmet, that my Leo Vince sounded too loud at highway speeds. I came home and re-installed the stock pipe... :) That's my honest impression of the whole Madstad system.

Last edited:
First, thanks for reinstalling your stock pipe. ;)

Second, I already have a Madstad and was going to get the deflectors to reduce air flow coming under the screen and across the neck opening of the helmet, with the goal of reducing noise. I'm surprised to hear you say that the deflectors increased noise. Hmmm. Need to re-evaluate my plan.

Thanks for your feedback, and starting this thread.

First, thanks for reinstalling your stock pipe. ;)

Second, I already have a Madstad and was going to get the deflectors to reduce air flow coming under the screen and across the neck opening of the helmet, with the goal of reducing noise. I'm surprised to hear you say that the deflectors increased noise. Hmmm. Need to re-evaluate my plan.

Thanks for your feedback, and starting this thread.

Not so fast, Greg! :)
I need to ride more with the deflectors to truly assess them. The winds were 10-15 knots today and variable.
So, maybe it had something to do with the increased noise... Needs more testing!

But, the way Madstad operates - I believe you can order the new plate and deflectors and try them yourself. Return if not satisfied...
Madstad is very much customer oriented. A breath of fresh air these days!
Cheers!

Yesterday was the first ride behind the Madstad windshield. I did about 150 miles and enjoyed the absence of helmet buffeting with the stock windshield. My helmet of choice is a Shoei, confortable but noisy. Helmet noise is now much reduced and I am a big fan of the Madstad. I have the deflectors and have not tried riding without them installed. However, after yesterday's ride, I had to modify the deflectors. As delivered, they fit too close to the bodywork, and wind induced vibration while riding resulted in small scratches on body work. Material removed from deflector, and now all is well. The noise now apparent while riding behind the Madstad is primarily engine noise, heretofore inaudible due to high wind noise.

Now, I need to fix the darned seat!

As promised I would like to offer my impressions of the Madstad wind deflectors and post some photos.

When I first installed my 20 in. Sport shield, I noticed moderate buffeting around my Shoei Multitec. I tried every possible combination of tilt and elevation but was unable to eliminate the buffeting. I'm 5 ft 10 in and about 185 lbs. I contacted Mark at Madstad and explained my problem. He said that he was developing some "deflectors" and asked if I would like to test some samples. He sent a new baseplate and two deflectors. After about two months and 1000 miles my impressions are:

1. The buffeting is completely eliminated at all speeds and with the shield in about all possible positions. That cured my main problem. My shield is currently set at 52 degrees tilt with the bike on the centerstand and just below my line of sight.

2. I always wear foam ear plugs, so I can't tell any difference in noise levels with or without the deflectors.

3. To be honest, the airflow below the neck level doesn't seem to change much with or without, but the flow is much smoother around the helmet.

4. I haven't had a chance to try the deflectors in the rain. (and hope I don't)

5. The deflectors that I received are a little too long and rub on the frunk (see photo). I haven't had a chance to slightly reshape yet.

IMHO the Sport shield is too narrow and too short at the bottom. I always have a blast of air on my neck and upper chest especially in a slight crosswind. That air is coming around the sides and underneath the shield. That might be acceptable in hot weather but in the cold it is very uncomfortable and fatiguing. My plan is to have Mark or another company make a shield that is about 4 in wider and 3 in longer and mount it on the Madstad adjusters. My bike doesn't have handguards and a shield that size would clear the master cylinder and parking brake. Coming from an FJR with a National V-Stream, maybe I expect too much, but I'm looking for "dead air".

Madstad is a great company with excellent customer service. Mark is a pleasure to work with. If any of you have specific questions, please contact me.

Rich

DSC00903.jpg

DSC00895.jpg

DSC00896.jpg

DSC00897.jpg

DSC00898.jpg

DSC00901.jpg

DSC00900.jpg

Rich,
The photos of the deflectors mounted on your bike make it look like the deflectors would hit the front turn signals when the handlebars are turned from lock to lock. I guess it is the angle of the photos or of the bars that make it look like there is no clearance. Since you were able to ride without a problem there must be enough clearance.

Rich,
The photos of the deflectors mounted on your bike make it look like the deflectors would hit the front turn signals when the handlebars are turned from lock to lock. I guess it is the angle of the photos or of the bars that make it look like there is no clearance. Since you were able to ride without a problem there must be enough clearance.

Not sure what you mean, since neither the deflectors or the turn signals are mounted to the bars. Turning the bars would not cause them to move with respect to each other. Or am I missing the point?

I guess I'm too used to my other bike with the half fairing attached to the fork/handlebars and not the body and frame. :( My mistake. :p Too many years with small add on fairings. :rolleyes:
Not sure what you mean, since neither the deflectors or the turn signals are mounted to the bars. Turning the bars would not cause them to move with respect to each other. Or am I missing the point?

deflectors to reduce air flow coming under the screen and across the neck opening of the helmet, with the goal of reducing noise. I'm surprised to hear you say that the deflectors increased noise.

My madstad stock set up was not good in the rain, blows slimy water up your helmet. So much wind noise it was like riding a supersport. I was seriously thinking about ditching it, but my last effort, homemade deflectors make it very quiet, haven't tested it in the rain yet.

I just put my hand up at my helmet and followed the air flow. I tried to put my hand out where the new madstad deflectors would go. I don't think it would have solved my problem, may have made it worse, though I'd still like to try them for winter.

My madstad stock set up was not good in the rain, blows slimy water up your helmet. So much wind noise it was like riding a supersport. I was seriously thinking about ditching it, but my last effort, homemade deflectors make it very quiet, haven't tested it in the rain yet.

I just put my hand up at my helmet and followed the air flow. I tried to put my hand out where the new madstad deflectors would go. I don't think it would have solved my problem, may have made it worse, though I'd still like to try them for winter.

I am thinking about trying to make some custom deflectors to deal with the tremendous amount of wind coming in between the madstad windscreen and deflectors. This wind hits my chest and rolls up into my helmet. Very loud (low frequencies and pressure)... Headache-inducing.

Can you post some pictures of your custom deflectors?

Last edited:
To add my 2cents, I upgraded my Madstad by adding the side deflectors because I could never completely get rid of a drumming type of buffet around the head and neck and too much air was hitting my lower torso from under the shield. The deflectors have corrected both issues 100%. I don't quite have dead air, but the slipstream is very smooth around my helmet. I'm very happy.

For reference, I have a 22" adventure set as at it's lowest setting in the lower bolt holes with an angle of 55 degrees. I'm 5'10" w/ 34" inseam.

Last edited:
madstad plates, screen, and deflectors

Can you send me the specs on your setup. I'm trying to achieve the same 'dead air' experience. I'm going cross country in 3 weeks and need to get something asap.

deflectors-with/without

without the little deflectors the helmet vibration was so bad i couldnt stand riding. i'm 5'9 and have the 18 inch windscreen, just bought it last week. the deflectors that came with my windscreen look nothing like the ones posted and all the mounting brackets look different also. soon as i put the deflectors on most of the wind and vibration was gone. not all of it but enough that i can ride without getting knocked around like i was getting with the stock windscreen that came on the nc. one thing to note you have to tuck your shirt in now or it will climb up in your face and you will have to keep a eye on your speed because you will be going 80/90 feeling like your only going 55. i will try and get a photo uploaded of my windscreen on the bike.

Back