• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

MadStad adjustable windshield system for the Honda NC700x

good point, that's why it seems high, I have it just a tad from its most vertical posoition because if I to it any more of an angle it will be too short, hence why I guess at 22" is why Madstad recommends...

I'm going to try to swap the winglets around because I'm thinking that's why the vibrations at speed... pay attention to yours Harvey you will see past 60KPH some movement... ? Let me know if you do...

Sumo, as soon as you hit 60 kph an hour you don't see them start shaking? it's like a strong flexing movement as the wind hits them, it's easy to see on mine I noticed it because after installation I paid attention to movement, I'm surprised I'm the only one given installation of a new windshield system I imagined others would watch for this.

Anyways, maybe this is normal because I don't see how much stronger they could be when they (the winglets brackets) take 2 angle turns and hanging off just the two windshield bracket screws.

I may try to put them on top of the windshield bracket and try again if not I could always not use the winglets and take off the brackets completely.

Last edited:
Man these things are fiddly ; }

Agreed. And for all the fiddling I don't notice any difference. Full up and tilted forward to full down and tilted backwards it's all the same to me. It really leaves me wondering if a fixed 20" would not suffice, a fixed screen would not have the headlight glare/reflection problem. That said:

- it is superior to the stock shield at speeds over 60 mph,
- I like the look
- I like fiddling so IT'S FUN!

I've decided (for now) that I am leaving it all alone, I took another look at everything and it looks like a solid install so maybe the slight flexing of the winglets is normal at speed, being that they are hanging on to just the two bolts.

The windshield on the other hand seems strong, no bending, nothing...

Agreed. And for all the fiddling I don't notice any difference. Full up and tilted forward to full down and tilted backwards it's all the same to me. It really leaves me wondering if a fixed 20" would not suffice, a fixed screen would not have the headlight glare/reflection problem. That said:

- it is superior to the stock shield at speeds over 60 mph--

I really liked the stock one on a hot sunny summer day with no gusting or headwinds. But how often did I get a day without that wind? ; }

I paid attention to the winglettes today and yes they do shake back and forth somewhat but I cant feel any of it in the form of a vibration. I think the shaking is normal.

I've decided (for now) that I am leaving it all alone, I took another look at everything and it looks like a solid install so maybe the slight flexing of the winglets is normal at speed, being that they are hanging on to just the two bolts.

The windshield on the other hand seems strong, no bending, nothing...
Mine vibrate at certain speeds that correlate with low engine rpms where the vibrations or pulses from the engine are felt thru the footpegs or handlebars. I don't even notice it anymore and haven't for a long time but I'm thinking it's D and at low rpms. Mine has seen 20,000 miles of operation.

Madstad has made at least three versions of the system and your version (and mine) use a different winglet mount that is longer and more flexible than earlier versions whose owners notice no vibration. I spoke to Madstad about it [vibration] after I got mine because I thought the mounts were made of aluminum which would quickly crack from metal fatigue but the mounts are actually stainless steel which is far more resistant to metal fatigue though not immune so I keep an eye on mine looking for any signs of cracking. None so far. I don't think it matters if the mounts go under or over the windshield mounting brackets.

I suspected it's normal and yes the side brackets do appear longer for the newer versions of the nc and I believe it's due to the slightly wider body as well than the older bikes

Not worried about any cracking but I'll keep an eye out and check them next year again though they will likely be just fine

Thanks guys

Last edited:
After looking a bit I found my winglets shake a some. I'm not worried, but I do wonder a bit on how they affect my gas mileage.....

Hey all - has anyone removed the winglets brackets all together? I'm not too fond of them to be honest and it's not even the shakiness and flexiness of them that bothers me... it's that I may want to add hand guards (the oem honda ones) and that won't happen with the winglets in place - I don't want risers btw. I imagine the nylock nuts will just continue to thread on the bolts accordingly even if there is more to grab (i.e. the plates / brackets of the winglets taken out the nuts will thread more is all). Any concerns???

If anything I think the shield will also vibrate less.

Thanks,
Rob

Hey all - has anyone removed the winglets brackets all together? I'm not too fond of them to be honest and it's not even the shakiness and flexiness of them that bothers me... it's that I may want to add hand guards (the oem honda ones) and that won't happen with the winglets in place - I don't want risers btw. I imagine the nylock nuts will just continue to thread on the bolts accordingly even if there is more to grab (i.e. the plates / brackets of the winglets taken out the nuts will thread more is all). Any concerns???

If anything I think the shield will also vibrate less.

Thanks,
Rob

No concerns. Don't feel like the winglets do much so I've been riding without them for past 4000 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They keep some wind off the lower body i think. It got hot here so I took them off to see and didn't notice much difference. This morning on the way home it was in the mid fifties, I now feel like it does let more air across your hands and lower body.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I removed the winglets when it warmed up.
I do not think there is a huge difference, but there is more air on the arms and maybe upper legs.
I am considering putting stock back on for the summer.
With the stock windshield the air hits me in the chest and the helmet is in clean air.
I need some more air for the Oklahoma summer.

I removed the winglets when it warmed up.
I do not think there is a huge difference, but there is more air on the arms and maybe upper legs.
I am considering putting stock back on for the summer.
With the stock windshield the air hits me in the chest and the helmet is in clean air.
I need some more air for the Oklahoma summer.

Well, the thing is that the reason I want them off is so I can put hand guards so then I won't need them... the hand guards will protect more anyways!

Mirrors, windshield, handguards, and handlebars form a complex system. It seems like if you change one thing you are going to wind up making more changes.

I am very pleased with the performance of the 20" Madstad without the winglets. My helmet is in a dead air space with some circulation around my arms but no wind pressure on my torso. I am 5'-11" with 31" inseam.

Try Quiet Ride Helmets

Mark at Madstad is a great guy to deal with, he truly wants to make you happy.

I had him do a custom shield system for a bike that he did not make a windshield system for, it came out awesome.

I had to use ear plugs as the wind noise was very bad and can damage your hearing in no time.

after the addition of the madsatd system I dont need to wear any ear plugs, most of the loud wind noise pollution is gone.

It is surprising the difference it makes in noise, and smoothing out the air, the only time i have had any head buffeting is when the wind is very gusty, that is not very often, actually very rare, but it is still much better than it was

Only problem is when you get the Madstad shield installed, and you are able to enjoy longer rides, In more comfort, then the seat is going to be a PAIN in the A$$

I first installed my Madstad system according to the included instructions, went for a ride. It was certainly better than the stock screen, but still had a little buffeting.

So i decided to try flipping the winglets upside down to block the air coming up around my head. Success!

With the winglets flipped, my torso and head are riding in a nice quiet pocket of air :)

Deano

madstad winglets.jpg

Back