• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Luggage rack optons? Givi Flow topcase?

fouzilogic

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry if this is posted elsewhere..............I searched and did not come up with much...

What are the differences for rear luggage rack's. I like the looks of the SW-Moteh and OEM Honda. Are there advantages of one over the other's.
Do I need a specific luggage rack for specific brand's of luggage? What other racks do other's currently use on the 700x?

I am getting close to pick up a temporary Givi flow top case - Until I can get 1k together for the Trekkers. ---> (60 on my local clist) Givi Flow Top case/luggage case for motorcycle or scooter

Do you think this is a good deal and\or will look ok. I plan on having in on the bike only about 50%of the time.

I just found out if you buy the Honda you also have to buy a bracket to install.both 129.00 check twisted throttle they have a universal rack.others on here might even have some other choices.

Guys correct me where I go wrong. It has been a while since I researched the available options.
The Honda topbox and side cases only work with the Honda mounts. If I remember correctly you start with the new passenger grab rails. Then the tail plate mounts to that and the topbox fits on it. To add the side cases mounts attach to the new passenger grab rail and the back of the passenger foot peg mount. I guess theoretically if you wanted just side cases you could get the new passenger rails and the side bag mounts and not get the rear plate. With the Honda rear plate you should be able to mount another brand of topboxes with a universal adapter. For side cases Honda is the only choice. The Honda stuff has a clean look when cases aren’t attached.
For Givi they have bracket/rear plate for their topboxes though there are 2 different designs monokey and monolock or something like that and they use different plates. From there you can add the brackets for the matching side cases. I believe you can do just side cases brackets without the topbox plate. There are several threads that list out the Givi part numbers and options.
Not knowing what I wanted and purchasing in stages I went with SW Motech as it seems to be the most versatile. Get the flat rear rack. Then get an adapter for whichever brand of topbox you want. They have adapters for a wide variety of manufactures. Then get side case brackets that mount to the rear plate bracket for whatever side cases you want. Again they have brackets for a wide variety. The side brackets can be removed easily for a clean look when not using them. If you later want to change brands/models of cases you just get new adapters to match. For now I have a Besteem topbox with the included universal adapter mounted to the SW Motech rear rack.

Main functional differences between the two you listed are the Motech rack comes with a small tail rack. To mount a top case you add quick release adapters. They are available for most popular brands of luggage such as Givi. I don't think Honda offers any adapters for their tail rack, so if you want to mount any case other than the Honda, you would have to come up with your own mounting solution. The Motech rack is also easier to install since it bolts right up while some minor cutting of bodywork is required to install the Honda rack.

Bob

Other Racks for NCX

I have a Hepco and Becker rear rack and engine crash guard on mine. There is a guy on this forum who fabricates racks, also. I decided to go with soft bags on my NCX. I found some Chase and Harper Saddlebags, magnetic tank bag, and tool bag on CL for cheap. I put the tank bag and tool bag on my ST1100, and put the saddlebags on the NCX. I also purchased some collapsible duffel bags from WalMart to carry oversized items too big for the frunk or saddlebags.

Protege 20" Expandable Duffel Bag - Walmart.com

28" Large Expandable Duffel Bag - Walmart.com

These bags are cheap, but are great for an occasional WalMart run. The downside is that they aren't lockable and probably leak in the rain, but I have hard cases on my ST1100, so I think I have the most economical compromise.

I would have bought the Honda rack, but I didn't want to cut the plastic panels for it to fit. No cutting for the givi, Hepco and Becker, or SW Motech.2013-05-31 09.46.11.jpg2013-05-31 09.46.18.jpg2013-05-31 09.47.06.jpg2013-05-31 09.47.29.jpg2013-05-31 09.47.54.jpg2013-05-31 09.48.17.jpg

Back