• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Lower Wind Deflectors

Drifter

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone have them, if so what do you think.... what part of the foot or leg is there a change?

Every thing you can do makes a difference in Washington state it,s 37 degrees and raining , and snowing in the mountains, this will be the high today. the guards help and look cool. dale

I ordered them with my bike but don't like how they mount. You have to take apart the lower cowl and drill two holes. I just can't bring myself to do it!! The mounting is some kind of super adhesive (instructions say to heat with a hair dryer if under 70F) and a mounting plug to help hold it. I am selling the kit I bought at 20% off list plus USPS shipping. I'd rather wear my waterproof riding boots.

After riding to work in some heavy rain while my truck was in the shop getting it's clutch fixed (ouch!), I would love to add these as well as the upper deflectors to my bike, but I'd want them removable for warm weather.

I don't mind in the least drilling into plastic (with a template), but the adhesive bothers me. Has anyone looked at how to possibly change the mounting around a little bit in order to scrap the adhesive in favor or some weather stripping and a well nut or similar? I wouldn't mind adding one of the ingenious plastic plugs that Honda uses on the NCX, but gluing stuff on just rubs me the wrong way.

Drifter, I just brought mine home yesterday when I took the bike in to get the heated grips and 12V acc socket put on. I should have them mounted in a couple of days to see. So far I only have 70 miles on mine, but it's been cold since I got it, and today was the only time I've been able to ride it in dry weather, so I've got a good idea of what it's like without them, so I'll let you know soon what I think.

Santa brought me both upper and lower deflectors. I didn't find mounting them much of a problem. The adhesive is actually some really good weather stripping. I did take my lower cowling off so I could work with it on the bench, but the uppers just need to drill a whole while the plastic is in place. Make sure the piece is where you want it before you press it home, because it is difficult to remove to reposition. The instructions tell you not to ride for 24 hours while the adhesive sets, but I don't think they are going anywhere after that. All in all, wasn't much of a problem installing them. FWIW

so calbigbird you will be in a position to tell us whether they work. I had both sets fitted from new so I can't tell
Mike

I ordered them with my bike but don't like how they mount. You have to take apart the lower cowl and drill two holes. I just can't bring myself to do it!!

It sort of boggles my mind that several of Honda's official accessories require some alteration of the bodywork. Don't know if it's lazy engineering or that they are trying to generate revenue (from installations) for their dealers. I'm interested in these as well but, like you, don't care to go drilling holes in perfectly good bodywork!! It's not that I'm not skilled enough to do it, but all it takes is a minor mistake and your ordering new body parts!

I had the bike for 6 weeks before receiving both upper and lower deflectors. I don't ride in the rain so can't really give input there but as for wind, yes, they definitely deflect wind to both my ankle and below and shin on up. Do they make a huge difference? Probably not but enough to make it a worthwhile upgrade, for me.

Installation was a breeze, (To be honest, I hate to drill into any bike parts) with or without the template especially for the lowers. I did uninstall the lower cowl and disassemble both halves for easier handling. I did take me time.

I've had the upper and lower deflectors on mine since I bought it, too. Nevertheless, it's pretty easy to tell by just moving my feet and/or legs around a little on cool to cold morning rides to work that they're moving air away from me in those areas. They don't do as good a job as a full fairing, but I think that's to be expected given their size. I'm glad they're on the bike, and I'll be glad for them when it's 115+ this coming summer, too.

so calbigbird you will be in a position to tell us whether they work. I had both sets fitted from new so I can't tell
Mike

To be honest, I haven't been able to ride much for the last couple weeks. We had a death in the family and have been upside down for a while. Hopefully I can get back in the saddle soon. I can't say that I noticed any great amount of difference before/after, but the jury is still out.

Inspired by Calbigbird I decide to go ahead and drill and mount the foot and leg deflectors. It was easy! Now waiting the 24 hrs to not ride (allow weather stripping-like adhesive to dry) is the hardest part. The leg deflectors look good (black on gray). You can hardly see the foot deflectors (black on black). Obviously I decide to delist the lower guards from the "items for sale" site.

Last edited:
Do the deflectors install with two screws per piece or just one? It's really hard to tell from the pictures and I haven't come across install instructions anywhere.

Just spit-balling here, but would it be feasible (if each deflector uses two screws/slotted rivets or whatever you call the fasteners on the NC7's) and replace the double sided adhesive with dual lock strips? That would let you remove them in warm weather in which case, I'd definitely get some.

Also, I'm not sure I understand why you'd want less wind in 115+ temps... or why you'd ride in those temps... or live where it gets to those temps... Just teasing. ;) I've no tolerance for extreme heat. I much prefer to ride in cold weather than really hot.

That's funny!

Seriously, though, shielding from the wind is just as important in super-hot weather as in the cold. If you're not shielded from the furnace blast of the desert here, you're subjecting your body to WAY more heat stress than if you were behind a fairing (or had heavy leathers on or something), because the wind hitting you is raising your body temp. Sweat still works, of course, but you have to sweat SO much more just to 'stay even' that a person will dehydrate and/or succumb to heat exhaustion far, FAR more quickly if they're in an 80 mph, 115F wind than if they just have a relatively small amount of airflow getting to them. I wear an LDComfort long-sleeve shirt that's fully saturated with water before I leave, or sometimes a phase-change cooling vest, underneath my leather jacket. It's surprising how well that works!

I've heard that before, and experienced it to an extent with some phase change cooling products. I just don't find it enjoyable. I'll ride all day long in the 20's (with the right gear and appropriately outfitted bike) but if it gets to 100+, I'm staying in or taking my gas guzzing truck. I'm a heat wuss, and I'm OK with that. That why I live in Virginia. Or maybe I'm a heat wuss because I live in Virginia... /boggle

I'm still curious about the deflectors, though.

Back