• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Looking for switched power source

670cc

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Mods
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thread opened on behalf of another forum member. Question to follow.

Im trying to post a new thread, a message comes up 'enter a valid message' what does that mean? Thanks
Be sure to choose a subforum to put the thread in, put in a title, also some text in the body.

This is how I connected heated grips on my '21.

I have been wondering this as well. I figure I'll probably wire in the USB charging kit. However, if there isn't another switched power connection up there under the bars (is there one?) I'm wondering whether it wouldn't be smart to splice an SAE connector off the USB kit's leads and route that up to the bars for later use for heated grips or sat nav.

I have been wondering this as well. I figure I'll probably wire in the USB charging kit. However, if there isn't another switched power connection up there under the bars (is there one?) I'm wondering whether it wouldn't be smart to splice an SAE connector off the USB kit's leads and route that up to the bars for later use for heated grips or sat nav.
If you are looking for specific model wiring information, you may want to state you bike's year and model. Wiring varies between models and model years

As has been stated,
There's at least some differences between model years in wiring. But, I'm going to assume (and you know what that means) that the location of a Honda provided switched power source *should* be in the same spot on all models. There's other videos but this one shows where that switched source is. Yep, you're gonna have to remove some body plastics but, it's not hard. You just need to make a mental note or, actually punch holes in some cardboard or paper or something that you can label what pin or screw comes out of and where it goes and put each pin or screw in those punched holes. Here's at least one video.
Scott

yeah I'm getting a 2023 so it should be the same as that bike. On the bike I didn't get, since they're now mythical, the CRF300l Rally, they have the switched power just nicely tucked inside the front left cowl and you can stick your hand in there to get at it.

yeah I'm getting a 2023 so it should be the same as that bike. On the bike I didn't get, since they're now mythical, the CRF300l Rally, they have the switched power just nicely tucked inside the front left cowl and you can stick your hand in there to get at it.
Unfortunately, not these NC's Partner. They make you work for it. It's there alright. But, removing the side panels is really not a very hard job. If you look at as new of Youtube videos as you can find pertaining to removing them, you'll be just fine. One thing I (and that video) did not mention is, there's also a sub harness that you can buy that attaches to the switched source plug. Then the small harness that comes with the USB charger for the frump plugs into that sub harness. But, that sub harness also has more plugs on it so you can attach other options at later dates. Just something to think about.
Scott

Unfortunately, not these NC's Partner. They make you work for it. It's there alright. But, removing the side panels is really not a very hard job. If you look at as new of Youtube videos as you can find pertaining to removing them, you'll be just fine. One thing I (and that video) did not mention is, there's also a sub harness that you can buy that attaches to the switched source plug. Then the small harness that comes with the USB charger for the frump plugs into that sub harness. But, that sub harness also has more plugs on it so you can attach other options at later dates. Just something to think about.
Scott
Yeah, the panel pull doesn't look difficult, but does present a nice opportunity to look for dropped fasteners on the garage floor, so something everyone can enjoy.
So with the changes over the years and my addled brain, I'm trying to get things straight. Do I understand you correctly that for the 2021-2023 models then, you can either put the USB kit onto that switched source lead (it's 4-pin now?) and it'll take the whole thing, OR use a subharness available to split more power leads nicely for you and still accomodate the Honda USB kit? And the switched power to that source plug is already hot, with relay and fuse from the factory?

NovaGeeze
Yep, you understand and state correctly. Once the paneling is off, you can then, somewhat easily, locate the switched source plug that is capped off. If, one was to install ONLY the USB power plug in the side of the frunk, the harness that accompanies that USB plug, will plug right into the capped off source. ORRRRR, You can purchase a small sub harness from Honda that plugs into that capped off plug, THEN, plug your new USB into ONE of the now available plugs provided by that new sub harness. That new sub harness provides at least two, (2) pin plugs and (1) three pin plug. Come to think of it, there may be (3) two-pin plugs and (1) three-pin plug. I can't remember.

So, if you use one of the two-pin plugs on that sub harness, you have one (or two) left for another option. And, you have a three pin available too. I was goofing around with my 12V test light while I was working on this situation. My bike already had the round, Honda supplied, 12V power port inside the frunk. When I got all the paneling off, I found all the wiring for it then. That's when I found the sub harness. I could (and did) remove that little sub harness and plugged the 12V power port harness directly into the source just to try it. But, I removed it and reinstalled the small sub harness since I had other accessories I needed switched power for.

While I had all the plastics off for painting, I installed a very small digital volt meter and the wiring for my Garmin Zumo XT GPS unit. I used the spare plugs of that sub harness for those. I also installed an SAE battery tender plug but, that went directly to the battery posts. As for a "relay" in the system from Honda that powers up those "switched source" plugs, I can't tell you. If it's there, someone else might be able to chime in with some accurate info on this. Fused? Again, not sure but, since that switched source is there from Honda from the factory, one can only ASSUME (you know that that means) that that switched source IS fused. Now, I mentioned a "three-pin" plug in that sub harness. While using my 12V test light and checking for which pin is hot in all those, I found something VERY INTERESTING.

When checking for which pin is hot in that three pin plug, I touched the one with the BLUE wire attached to it. When I did that, my HIGH BEAM INSTANTLY FLASHED!!!!!!!!!! Hmmmmmm, this is interesting. I did it again, and again, and again. Each time I touched that pin with the tip of my 12V test light, the high beam flashed. Wow, this is neat! Now, my model/year is a 2020 and is a U.S. version. This means there is no HIGH BEAM *momentary* switch on the bars. But, by finding this situation in that three pin sub harness, I could actually install a momentary button/switch on the left side bars, to activate my high beams for if and when I think the flashing of them is necessary. Just a thought on that one.

Here is at least one link to that sub harness from Honda:

Here's the front page to the install instructions for the USB charge port install. It also shows that small sub-harness stating "Sold separately"
Scott

Scott

Thanks again. Reading through some of those, the Thunderbox (direct to battery, senses when engine is running and sends further juice onto acessories, shuts those down if engine isn't running) sounds like a pretty good workaround with some added potential benefits -- like shutting things down if you leave the ignition on but the engine's not running.

The Thunderbox is but one of many that can be used in that kind of situation. I have a Goldstrike PAH60 "Distribution/Isolation" hub I installed in my '18 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT. The bike is CANBUS wired and isolation of additional circuits and accessories from the CANBUS system is the name of the game. But, Show Chrome, E/C (Electical Connection), Kuryakyn, and many others make distribution/isolation hubs for the purposes of adding accessories and isolating them from the bikes original wiring. The fact that the one you're thinking about detects when an engine is running or not is new to me. I'm not sure that's all that important unless you plan on leaving the ignition on for extended periods without running the engine. But, I'm sure you have your reasons for doing so. Good luck on your endeavors.
Scott

naw, it was just the first one I noticed in other threads. Nifty that it turns on and off though. I may get so little time with the bike this summer that I don't get anything done to it, though I do plan on sticking a center stand on right away for peace of mind when I store it.

Thanks again. Reading through some of those, the Thunderbox (direct to battery, senses when engine is running and sends further juice onto acessories, shuts those down if engine isn't running) sounds like a pretty good workaround with some added potential benefits -- like shutting things down if you leave the ignition on but the engine's not running.
You probably have your reasons, but I wouldn’t want a power distributer that shut off my GPS or auxiliary lighting when the key is on but the engine is off. Sometimes I pull off the road and shut down the engine, but leave aux lights on (for conspicuity) and GPS on while I do some brief route planning.

Here is at least one link to that sub harness from Honda:
That harness doesn't appear to have the 4-pin out to the USB kit, just 3 smaller outputs. Honda's instructions for the USB kit (http://cdn.powersports.honda.com/documentum/MW01/08E73-MKW-D00.pdf) show a slightly different sub-harness they call the "fog lamp" sub harness, but I can't dig that part up on the honda parts site or anywhere else.

NovaGeeze,
You are correct there. My goof up here stems from the fact that what was/is installed in MY 2020 is a 12V power port. And that comes with a 2-pin connector. That 2-pin connector gets plugged into a sub harness that has the 4-pin on one end and a two pin on the other. But, to FUSE that 12V power port, there's also another small harness that has an in-line fuse that is inserted in between the harness and the 12V power port.

I think the one you linked has a harness that is basically square on both ends. One for the bikes supply and one for the USB socket. So, that little sub harness I linked won't do anybody any good in that situation. Good catch.
Scott

I'm still unable to find a Honda OEM accessory sub harness that includes an output both for the 4-pin (duplicating the one its plugged into) as well as extra 2-pin connectors for other accessories. The "fog lamp" sub harness in those instructions I linked is not something I can dig up.

Back