• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Long distance tire

I decided to go with the Continental Motion and see how it goes. Does it make sense to take a wider wheel, like 180? I've read through all the relevant thread but still can't see any valid PROs. It will only look more aggressive on the bike without any contribution to handling or stability in curves. Am I correct?

I think it's a fine line between aesthetics and actual usefulness. A lot of people get caught up in thinking tires are "too skinny" looking, when in fact, they are painstakingly designed to be as perfectly wide as required. Most of the time, in order to actually make a wider tire not perform *worse* than a skinnier tire, a wider rim is needed, so the profile of the tire doesn't get all fubar. I've seen too wide tires put on too narrow rims, and they actually ended up being narrower than the actual nominal width given for the tire in the first place! Some (for example) 130 rear tires put on a CBR125R rim, distorts the profile to the point that the tire ends up being closer to 115mm wide, and the handling gets screwed up to boot. The additional weight of the wider tire is very noticeable on a 125 too, maybe not so much on larger bikes, but it's still there, physics-wise, hindering, not helping.

I say these things knowing that I don't practice what I preach, as my TKC 80's aren't the same dimensions as the OEM tires, and I've never let a few mm's here or there in profile height percentage or width +/- get my knickers in a twist, but it was always what I deemed a reasonable amount, given the exact performance I was aiming for, and be aware about any trade offs resulting from this change.

I'd say a 180 versus a 160 rear probably isn't going to do much for or against, unless the tire you wanted specifically, only came in that width, and it wasn't overtly different in sidewall height comparatively. I put 110 rears, and 90 fronts on my CBR, because the Pirelli MT75's are much, much better grip-wise, than the OEM tires, which are a 100, and an 80, respectively. I simply cannot find a sticky tire in the OEM sizes, so the larger ones get the nod. It's not because they are marginally wider.

My NC700X rear tire is actually narrower than the OEM rear tire, because that's the closest size I can get in the tire I want.

:)

Last edited:
Talked to service guys yesterday at my local dealership... All like one said there s no need/sense/benefit/anything else to go wider with the rear tire.

So will keep it stock size 160/60/17

Thanks everyone!

I've always been easy on tires, getting more miles than most, but I managed to burn through my Conti Motion this last week coming back from a trip to Arkansas.

IMAG1012.jpg

6,561 miles on the tire :(

I can't complain from a cost standpoint. Even at this low mileage, the cost/mile is (barely) cheaper than the PR4. But, the added inconvenience of messing with swapping the tire isn't worth it even though I do my own tire changes.

The other thing is, I hate tires with no tread down the center. You can see my cords are showing, but the wear bars on the nearest tread aren't quite surfaced. Here in TX, there's just no way around a lot of high speed, flat, straight riding on rough (chip seal) pavement. You're going to flatten the center of the tire, no way around it. Had I realized just how large the center section was I might have passed in the first place. Reminds me of the old Metzler Z6.

Is everyone else getting the kind of miles out of these that Strat is, 10k miles+? I'm pretty obsessive about tire pressures, so I don't think it was ever run low. I was pretty loaded down going to/from AR, but nothing crazy.

Just thought it was strange. Maybe I got a wonky tire? It handled great up in the Ozarks! Rode it right to the edges without a single slip or weird moment.

Ordered up a Michelin Anakee 3 to replace it, should arrive Friday. People are reporting really long life out of those with good grip, so I thought I'd give it a whirl. If those bomb it's back to the PR4 and the end to this 'grass is greener' quest :p

trey

Holy Bat tires Batman!! What do you weigh? 2 pounds??? I would LOVE to get just 10k out of a rear tire!!!

Naw... I'm 180lbs, probably closer to 200 with gear on and the miniscule amount of stuff I carry when I ride?

Most of those miles were flat out freeway, to and from work, 100 miles a day.

I had the Shinko rear and only got 6k out of it. This time I went with Michelin Commanders II rear: 160/70/17 $169 and front 130/80/17 $130. Supposed to last a long time (MICHELIN Commander II - Tires On-road | MICHELIN - Motorcycle - United States - Motorcycle-website). I had to raise the front fender to make it fit and regeared rear sprocket from 43 to 47 teeth. Rides great, only photo with them mounted:
View attachment 24589
How did you raise the front fender? I've got a Commander II 160/70 rear and Metzeler ME880 stock front. 30mm lowering dogbone installed and forks raised 3/4". At 75 mph indicated, GPS registers 78 mph. I'm pretty happy. :)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I got my tyre changed now, at 17k (11k miles), stock Metzeler Z8s. They were not worn out completely down to the indicators, maybe left 1500-2000kms on it. New tyres are on, Michelin Pilot Road 3! Hope, they will last long enough!
IMG_20150613_141510-1.jpg
IMG_20150613_141412.jpg

total cost ~ 307 $
Front & rear tyre : 268 $
install : 25 $
brake fluid change : 14$

How did you raise the front fender? I've got a Commander II 160/70 rear and Metzeler ME880 stock front. 30mm lowering dogbone installed and forks raised 3/4". At 75 mph indicated, GPS registers 78 mph. I'm pretty happy. :)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I cut some aluminum bracket for six 2" pieces and drilled holes raising the mounts. If you zoom in on the pic you can see it.

Back