• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Long distance tire

Motodrocher

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So my Yellowstone trip led me to LA in some weird way and now I'm on almost bald rear tire. Too bad, as I rode it just for 5600km.

Please advice a good long distance riding tire and a nice place to get it in Northern California. I don't think I will be able to ride it longer than to San Francisco from LA.
My research makes me think of Avon Storm 2 Ultra And Michelin Pilot.

Please advice when is betterm and has longer life.

So my Yellowstone trip led me to LA in some weird way and now I'm on almost bald rear tire. Too bad, as I rode it just for 5600km.

Please advice a good long distance riding tire and a nice place to get it in Northern California. I don't think I will be able to ride it longer than to San Francisco from LA.
My research makes me think of Avon Storm 2 Ultra And Michelin Pilot.

Please advice when is betterm and has longer life.

I managed right at 11k miles each out of both a Michelin PR3 and a PR4. No personal experience with the Avon. The Continental 'Conti Motion' tires are pretty highly thought of here as well, and are much cheaper. I think Strat gets > 10k miles on his rear Conti. I've only got about 5k miles on mine so far, so I can't really comment on longevity other than to say it looks good so far.

trey

I just bought an Avon Storm Ultra 2 for my other bike, a Honda NT700V. I usually buy my tires off the rack at Iron Pony in Columbus OH but they didn't list any Ultra 2s in their offerings. Looking at other places, I discovered that the Ultra 2 has been discontinued and replaced by another model which is what I'd suspected.

Luckily I was able to find one at Dennis Kirk and it arrived today via UPS. The price was $132 and free shipping.

On the NT, which is heavier than the NC by 60-70 lbs, I'm at 13k miles right now for the rear Storm Ultra 2 with maybe another 1k remaining.

Last edited:
I got 9000 miles out of my storm 2 rear. Liked it while I had it, too.
I also had 9000 miles on my Pilot Road 2 rear when I pulled it to put bumpy tires on. It had IMO a few thousand miles of tread left on it and might get remounted if the rubber is still good if/when I manage to wear out my K60. Everything I've read here suggests that the PR3/4 wear even better. So far the PR2 has been my favorite rear on this bike.

Last edited:
Looking at other places, I discovered that the Ultra 2 has been discontinued and replaced by another model which is what I'd suspected.
The Storm 2 has been replaced by the Storm 3D XM. It is supposed to be better in every way (aren't they always) and I hope it is because the Storm 2 were great tires, not only good tread life but I like the oblong (vs. round) profile which provides quicker turn-in. Avon is claiming 15 to 20 percent additional tread mileage with the new model, you can probably take that with a grain of salt but we can always hope.

Last edited:
Research: Michelin Commander II

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/michelin-commander-ii-rear-tires

Touted as getting twice as much mileage as comparable tires (figures mentioned- 25,000 miles!) They are marketed towards "Cruisers".

I know nothing about them. They could really suck, I don't know. There has to be a compromise between grip level and wear, so it seems like a tire that got a zillion miles, might not be the best as far as grip and confidence inspiring cornering, and ride like iron.

Having said that, if I were only wanting a tire to use as a highway long distance sacrificial thing to get me home, and not feel guilty about flat spotting a new $$$ tire, well...

I wore out the rear OEM Metzeler on my BMW up in Haida Gwaii, and unfortunately the only rear tire I could replace in with once getting back to the mainland, was some horrifically expensive sticky super sport tire. You don't even want to know how much it cost me :rolleyes: and it was dead by the time I got back to Vancouver from Prince Rupert.:eek:

Good luck! Hope yer having fun ;)

Last edited:
I went 12,000 on my first PR4. I only changed it because I had been riding on it for 4,000 miles with a patch I installed. Could have easily done 14,000 miles on really bad Arkansas roads. I'm on my second PR4 rear at 4,000 miles and still looking great. Can't beat the grip in wet conditions. Are they worth the money? Seomthing you have to decide but dang good tires.

Research: Michelin Commander II

Michelin Commander II Rear Tires - RevZilla

Touted as getting twice as much mileage as comparable tires (figures mentioned- 25,000 miles!) They are marketed towards "Cruisers".

I know nothing about them. They could really suck, I don't know. There has to be a compromise between grip level and wear, so it seems like a tire that got a zillion miles, might not be the best as far as grip and confidence inspiring cornering, and ride like iron.

Having said that, if I were only wanting a tire to use as a highway long distance sacrificial thing to get me home, and not feel guilty about flat spotting a new $$$ tire, well...

I wore out the rear OEM Metzeler on my BMW up in Haida Gwaii, and unfortunately the only rear tire I could replace in with once getting back to the mainland, was some horrifically expensive sticky super sport tire. You don't even want to know how much it cost me :rolleyes: and it was dead by the time I got back to Vancouver from Prince Rupert.:eek:

Good luck! Hope yer having fun ;)
Last summer, I got a real close look at a Michelin Commander II which had just came off a cruiser. It was at the local motorcycle shop I use for tire replacements. The tire had a confirmed 32,000 miles (not Kilometers) on the tire and the wear bars had just started to show. It was confirmed by the local shop, they had put the tire on the cruiser and had recorded the mileage in their computer system. I dont know if Michelin makes the Commander II in a size which will fit the NCs, since they are a 'cruiser' tire.

I got 10,000 miles on my rear Conti motion tire before I had to replace it, could have got more; however, due to a flat spot when a soccer mom pulled out in front of me., the wear cord began to show. I have 11,000 miles on the front tire and it appears to be good for a least a couple thousand more miles.

My vote goes to the "Continental Motion" tires. [HERE]
I get 15K miles plus on a set, and one set costs $130 (free shipping). $80 to have them mounted at my local mechanic shop. Initial report [HERE]

I once ran them down to the steel belt threads just to see how far I could go: 16,600 miles (I keep records) of mostly interstate roads.

L.B.S. - I didn't think the Mich. Commander's came in the right size for the NC... I'll go and research that. They were my first choice for longevity, but I couldn't find them in the right sizes.

Last edited:
L.B.S. - I didn't think the Mich. Commander's came in the right size for the NC... I'll go and research that. They were my first choice for longevity, but I couldn't find them in the right sizes.

I guess it depends on how much of a stickler a person is regarding exact size in this regard. I think I saw 150/90-17 and 160/70-17 versus the NC's 160/60-17, so for me personally, I wouldn't be too perturbed. Everyone has to make their own call on what they feel comfortable with for sure! :)

The price point you show for the Conti and your favourable experience with them, is not to be ignored, that's a fact.

OK now I have to know, how much? :confused:

The whole process from me having the belts showing on the OEM tire, to riding away with a brand new tire, ended up at about $500.00 dollars...

Now this wasn't just the new tire itself of course, that was only around $325.00 or so, but it also wasn't as simple and easy as riding into a shop and having a tire swapped on. It was much more complicated than that, lol.

I went 12,000 on my first PR4. I only changed it because I had been riding on it for 4,000 miles with a patch I installed. Could have easily done 14,000 miles on really bad Arkansas roads. I'm on my second PR4 rear at 4,000 miles and still looking great. Can't beat the grip in wet conditions. Are they worth the money? Seomthing you have to decide but dang good tires.

I'm at 7k on a set of PR4s and they still look brand new.

I guess it depends on how much of a stickler a person is regarding exact size in this regard. I think I saw 150/90-17 and 160/70-17 versus the NC's 160/60-17, so for me personally, I wouldn't be too perturbed. Everyone has to make their own call on what they feel comfortable with for sure! :)

The price point you show for the Conti and your favourable experience with them, is not to be ignored, that's a fact.

I'm not a stickler at all... I confess to being a beginner. I didn't know that it was even possible to put on a different sized tire.... I'll start shopping for the 160/70-17 you mentioned.

Thanks for the info! I got home on my baldy and it seems was fine all the way back. Now I'll have more time to choose a better tire without any rush. Just for the info:
That's my friend's stock tire with under 6000 km on it.

IMG_7754.jpg

That is my Heidenau K73 Super Rain with 8330 km.
2015-05-22 11.36.21.jpg

Both tires never seen a hot pavement like it might get in southern California in summer.

Last edited:
I got 16k out of my Metzeler Z8 rear, and I'm at 18k on the front and it's still going. Is it ideal? No. Do I need to change it? Not just yet.

Back