• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

LED: Which way is up? (Picture)

StratTuner

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I am replacing the headlight bulb today.
I have [THIS] set of LED Bulbs.

There are two LEDs on the bulb. One is set a little more forward than the other.

Which way is UP?

Here's a photo.

light.jpg

I could hook the light up to the system and turn it on.
Toggle between dim/bright and see which LED comes ON for bright....
but that doesn't answer the question. Which way is up?

It's a VERY difficult install, so I'd like to get it correct the first time.

hmmm.... I note that in the photo, the I shiney metalic tab is on the side with the LED more forward (further away from the base).
the other two shiney metal tabs are on the side with the LED closer to the base.
I'll start with that.

well... I've actually done this once... but I've reached that place where I wished I'd never touched it.

The light has to seat on three prongs, then the clip closes on it light a gate, then the rubber seal is supposed to go on top of that.
Good luck with that should you ever try.

I noticed one of my headlights (Yamaha) were out this morning. I'm going to get some brighter (as in heat brightness) bulbs. I don't like the "yellow" look of regular lights after I turn off my led strip.

There was another thread about those bulbs. Maybe it would help.

I was given some for my Murano and they would not fit. The ones for my Son's Tacoma fit but what it took to put them in was too much.

They advertise a perfect fit but they are far from that.

Pretty sure the triangular tabs will only let you put it in one way.

well it's in. The order of operations is:...

I can't remember how to do it, and I just did it... "It's a Zen thing". You have to do it, not learn it.

2Pretty sure the triangular tabs will only let you put it in one way.

you are correct.
The metal collar can only go in ONE WAY (1 tab at 12 o'clock and the other two at 5 and 7 o'clock.
However, the LED bulb can seat and twist in to that collar either way.

The photo was right ... the LED aht sit's slightly forward from the base goes on top. The LED closer to the base goes on the bottom.

you are correct.
The metal collar can only go in ONE WAY (1 tab at 12 o'clock and the other two at 5 and 7 o'clock.
However, the LED bulb can seat and twist in to that collar either way.

The photo was right ... the LED aht sit's slightly forward from the base goes on top. The LED closer to the base goes on the bottom.

Hey Don

I don't understand what you are referring to by

"the LED that sit's slightly forward from the base goes on top. The LED closer to the base goes on the bottom"

My headlight has only ONE bulb. There is no top or bottom since the H4 is a Hi/Lo bulb.

Hey Don

I don't understand what you are referring to by

"the LED that sit's slightly forward from the base goes on top. The LED closer to the base goes on the bottom"

My headlight has only ONE bulb. There is no top or bottom since the H4 is a Hi/Lo bulb.

There are two LED emitters in the unit just as there are two filaments in the H4 bulb. The one farther from the base ring is the low beam.

(Edited to correct an error as originally posted.)

Last edited:
There are two LED emitters in the unit just as there are two filaments in the H4 bulb. The one farther from the base ring is the high beam.

and the high beam emitter goes on the bottom? correct?
I just made mine look the the photo... hope that's right...

and the high beam emitter goes on the bottom? correct?
I just made mine look the the photo... hope that's right...

OK, doing some more research, I am exactly backwards, and the high beam filament is closest to the base, not the low beam. The low beam filament is shielded and is located to shine in alignment with the wide blade on the base. The wide blade on the base is the "up" position as installed. So, the emitter that is farthest from the base ring should be aligned with the wide blade of the base and installed in the "up" position. Sorry for the confusion...

h4.jpg

For reference, look at figures #30 and 31 on page 166 of the attached...

http://www.experts.com/content/articles/Mike-York-High-Low-Beam-Filament.pdf

Last edited:
OK, doing some more research, I am exactly backwards, and the high beam filament is closest to the base, not the low beam. The low beam filament is shielded and is located to shine in alignment with the wide blade on the base. The wide blade on the base is the "up" position as installed. So, the emitter that is farthest from the base ring should be aligned with the wide blade of the base and installed in the "up" position. Sorry for the confusion...

View attachment 27487

For reference, look at figures #30 and 31 on page 166 of the attached...

http://www.experts.com/content/articles/Mike-York-High-Low-Beam-Filament.pdf

For everyone's reference on the 2 LED Element H4 LED Bulbs. The LED on the top is for the "Low Beam" while the one on the bottom is for the "High Beam". Also when the "High Beam" is activated, both of the LEDs Elements are turned on.

I have noticed on the units that I have been using, that the low beam LED Element is brighter when activated. Then the High Beam is activated. both come on. however the intensity of the top LED Element intensity if slightly reduce. In either model my units on draw only 28 to 30 Watts.

Attachments

• IMG_2868.jpg
    IMG_2868.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 817
  • IMG_2870.jpg
    IMG_2870.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 273
  • H4LEDBeamPattern2.jpg
    H4LEDBeamPattern2.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 272
There are two LED emitters in the unit just as there are two filaments in the H4 bulb. The one farther from the base ring is the low beam.

(Edited to correct an error as originally posted.)

Ahhh...Ok I get it. I guess I was confused over the original question as there were 2 bulb assemblies shown in the picture.

Thanks for the ILLUMINATING clarification! :eek:

Hey Stratuner, did you need to make ANY mods to the bike to get the LED to fit. Or is it truly "Plug & Play".
That is a really good price for 2 bulbs and ballasts.
Thanks

I have done this LED Upgrade prior to Stratuner and I coached him through it.

You will need to remove all the plastic around the area to get unrestricted access to the back of the headlight assembly. The retaining hook that holds the bulb in is nearly impossible to get it to release in the crowd space between the back of the headlight and steering head assembly.

Getting the retaining hook to engage with the recommended H4 LED that I have suggested is a little hard, but not impossible. After installing the Base Adapter into the headlight reflector assembly, then the dust boot needs to be stretched around the base adapter outer diameter (OD).

Here's a link to the installation album of my installation, Brillot2000 H4 LED Bulb Installation.

Let me know if you have any further questions regarding this subject.

Attachments

• H4LEDBulbDisassembly.jpg
    H4LEDBulbDisassembly.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 313
  • Rearofheadlight_zpsecb50fa9.jpg
    Rearofheadlight_zpsecb50fa9.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_4141.jpg
    IMG_4141.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 191
Are you sure that lamp it's going to fit on the bike? I believe there's not enough room behind the handlebars...

Hey Stratuner, did you need to make ANY mods to the bike to get the LED to fit. Or is it truly "Plug & Play".
That is a really good price for 2 bulbs and ballasts.
Thanks

It was plug and play. [LED Headlight for NC] A very knowledgeable person here told me exactly what to buy and I went with his recommendation.

It comes with it's own small square "brick" on a cable... that cable connects to the LED "bulb", and the other end connects to the NC's three-prong connection. That's what made the NC connector easier to get to (and tap). After the install, it's further away from the headlight assembly.

Back