• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Lane position approaching an intersection

ChilliRider

Reaction score
Visit site
A colleague of mine, Farhad Dastur co-authored a paper in 2014 "Motorcyclist’s lane position as a factor in right-of-way violation
collisions: A driving simulator study".

Here is the abstract (the pdf is too big to upload but send me a pm if you are interested and I will send the paper along):
A driver turning left and failing to notice an oncoming motorcyclist until too late is the most common
cause of motorcycle collisions. Consequently, much previous research has focused on motorcycle properties,
such as size, shape, and color to explain its inconspicuousness. However, collision statistics remain
largely unchanged, suggesting that the issue may not be related solely to the motorcycle’s static properties.
In the present study, we examined a different characteristic of the motorcycle, namely its trajectory
of approach. Seventeen participants faced oncoming traffic in a high-fidelity driving simulator and indicated
when gaps were safe enough for them to turn left at an intersection. We manipulated the size of the
gaps and the type of oncoming vehicle over 135 trials, with gap sizes varying from 3 to 5 s, and vehicles
consisting of either a car, a motorcycle in the left-of-lane position, or a motorcycle in the right-of-lane
position. Our results show that drivers are more likely to turn in front of an oncoming motorcycle when
it travels in the left-of-lane position than when it travels in the right-of-lane position.

I was taught "left side or right, tight to the white", meaning on a two-lane road the riding position is on the left side of the lane (avoiding potholes/road irregularities excepted). The study suggests that is the most dangerous position to be in approaching an intersection with a driver waiting to make a left turn from the opposite direction.

The problem with the "right side" position is that car drivers approaching a main road from a side street are more likely to not see you. The problem with changing lane position approaching an intersection may be giving the 'left turner' the impression you are going to make a right turn (if they are paying attention).

I think I will just invest in more lights... thoughts?

That is interesting. I'd love to read a more detailed analysis (without having to purchase and read the whole study). Maybe a motorcycle mag (Rider?) will pick up on this.

I was wondering "why" the right lane is safter... I found this mention from the study on another site: "The left-of-lane position offers fewer motion cues than the right-of-lane position".

That is interesting. I'd love to read a more detailed analysis (without having to purchase and read the whole study). Maybe a motorcycle mag (Rider?) will pick up on this.

I was wondering "why" the right lane is safter... I found this mention from the study on another site: "The left-of-lane position offers fewer motion cues than the right-of-lane position".

The study is only a couple of pages long and I am pretty sure your quote is from the article :). It is all about angles of approach--the 'left of lane' position is head on to the driver making the left, while the 'right of lane' is offset enough to be better able to judge speed/timing.

It is for this reason though that I find the marketing (science?) behind the Skene lights interesting--supposedly they are perceived as an attention-getting "flicker" out of the corner of a driver's eye and so attract attention. I have no idea whether they actually work as advertised. I made the suggestion to my colleague and I am hoping he picks up on it--maybe there will be funding to outfit my bike as a 'tester' :)

mmm I guess I won't ride a red motorcycle at 50km/h left of centre in front of a left turning car with my headlights off then.

Interesting study. It's too bad they had a weak rendering computer. I wonder if the results would have been any different with the headlight on.

The study:
Motorcyclist's lane position as a factor in right-of-way violation collisions: A driving simulator study

The authors continue to do research on this topic which is great. Anything that comes of it that helps to reduce the number of intersection accidents would be great.

First of all.... yes, invest in conspicious lighting. It is a very good thing to do. Since I installed small bright LED lights on my road bikes I have noticed a drop in " near close" calls where a left turner took the gap to cross my right-of-way and after LEDs they seem to wait for me to pass.

I try to treat every road, every situation, every grouping of vehicles, every intersection as a dynamic fluid and choose lane positions based on increasing my visibility to oncoming or waiting-to-turn vehicles. On two/four/six lane urban arteries with opposing lanes I tend to avoid hard up against the white or yellow outside edges and favor just left or just right of center inside or middle lanes unless the situation favors being way out on the lane edges. Within the lanes the middle of the lane collects debris and greasy accumulations while the [four] wheel tracks are often polished smoothest by countless passing wheels. Both compromise traction leaving the narrow areas between wheel tracks and the middle as the best of what's left for my two wheels.

I do not restrict myself to "this is where you are supposed to ride" lane positions, ever. Not due to any patting oneself on the back superior knowledge kind of thing lol, just a "feeling" that is difficult to articulate. Without becoming a cop magnet from swerving around looking drunk, I tend to constantly alter my position in a lane, but more subtly than overtly.

Also, sometimes you can pick up cues from the drivers around you that just make you feel inexplicably uncomfortable, and you back off, or change lanes, or put distance between you, to get away from the spidey sense alarm going off.

At occupied traffic intersections, I usually try to finish my entry point being furthest away to my right or left of the lane, depending on whether or not an opposing left turner or a perpendicular right turner is giving me more of a higher threat level feeling.

I try to float about, centre/left/right and lightly feather the front brake a wee bit while slowing down just prior. Hopefully changing the angle of my headlight beam to add visual up/down/side to side movement that might possibly catch a driver's eyes instead of a steady state, steady position, arrow straight intersection entry in a formulaic specified kind of rule.

I never take it for granted I have the right of way, I always am resigned to possibly having to nail the brakes or take emergency evasive action like someone in a Miata is mistaking me for a piñata. lol

I wonder what the real percentage of that scenario is??

It says "Motorcycle collisions frequently involve an
oncoming car turning left"
Then -

Right-of-way violations account for nearly half
of all car-motorcycle collisions"

Maybe I'll read the whole study.

But I'm hoping to get a holographic projector that "sprays" an image of a Mac truck in front of me. I bet that works. :cool:

OK, I read it. It isn't long.
"Ouellet (1990) proposed that, for a motorcyclist, adopting a
lane position that is furthest removed from an immediate right-ofway-violation
threat was a more effective way to avoid a collision
than trying to apply emergency braking or swerving" Is a good way to ride. As in.......stay as far away from anything that does't look good as you can.

Aha. "Right-of-way violations caused by oncoming drivers turning
left or by drivers crossing on a perpendicular road account for
nearly half of all car-motorcycle collisions (Hurt et al., 1981)."
That helps with my question about the statistics.

The famous Hurt Report. One of the most comprehensive US reports/studies of all time. Though some say it is now a bit dated.

Last edited:
I can see where this would be true. For years, going to and from work, I make 2 left turns across 2 lanes of traffic. I had noticed that it was easier for me to judge the speed of cars in the outer lane than the inner lane.

I believe the MSF doesn't agree with me....I prefer to go through intersections with a car beside me on my left so they get hit before me. If possible I like to be just ahead of the car beside me so he can also see me and if he decides to switch lanes he would switch right behind my rear.

As collision avoidance technology becomes standard in cars I hope we'll see this statistic drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First of all.... yes, invest in conspicious lighting. It is a very good thing to do. Since I installed small bright LED lights on my road bikes I have noticed a drop in " near close" calls where a left turner took the gap to cross my right-of-way and after LEDs they seem to wait for me to pass.

Yep, LED lights....cheap and easily done. These are water proof and always ON.

ledlights.jpg

Last edited:
Back