• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Initial Service - 600 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

biggiemac

Reaction score
Visit site
According to the honda service manual, it states the initial service is due at 600 miles. I was able to pickup a 2012 from a private seller who only had 340 miles on the bike. My questions is this, is it best to have a dealer do this initial service, or can I plan on tackling this from home? The dealer wants 90.00 for labor and then the cose of parts, oil filter and oil. Thoughts?

Thanks!

According to the honda service manual, it states the initial service is due at 600 miles. I was able to pickup a 2012 from a private seller who only had 340 miles on the bike. My questions is this, is it best to have a dealer do this initial service, or can I plan on tackling this from home? The dealer wants 90.00 for labor and then the cose of parts, oil filter and oil. Thoughts?

Thanks!

5.jpg

If you know how to change the oil and filter that is about it for the 600 mile service. Besides more fun to do it yourself.

Smileyok.jpg

100% do it yourself. As OCR posted it's just an oil and filter change and a good once-over to make sure everything else is in order. Just pay attention to using the correct oil without friction modifiers as not to cause clutch slippage. Specifics are in the owner's manual.

So that begs the question, what oil and filter are folks using here on the forum? What do you like, what tips tricks do you know?

100% do it yourself. As OCR posted it's just an oil and filter change and a good once-over to make sure everything else is in order. Just pay attention to using the correct oil without friction modifiers as not to cause clutch slippage. Specifics are in the owner's manual.

So that begs the question, what oil and filter are folks using here on the forum? What do you like, what tips tricks do you know?

Any motorcycle-specific 10W-40 will suffice. Don't use synthetic on the first oil change, as engine parts are still breaking in. Honda's GN4 oil is not that expensive and is good quality. Shell Rotella T 15W-40 is cheaper and meets JASO motorcycle specs, but being a 15W, I wouldn't use it in cold temps.

Of course you could go to a Honda motorcycle dealer and get the filter. It is common, as most of their current lineup use the same one. However, you can get a slightly longer filter that meets all the specs and fits the bike without issue by going to an auto parts store and getting an oil filter for a Honda Civic or Fit. Any modern year will use the same filter and it will fit our bike. I've been using the Bosch 3323.

As long as it doesn't invalidate your warranty, go ahead.

In the US, I don't know if a dealer has to do it....

Nope they don't and they can't void your warranty as long as you show proof that the maintenance was done which is why it's good to keep receipts and records. A dealer can't force you to come back for service to maintain a warranty in the US unless the service is offered at no cost. They also can't make you use specific "branded" parts. It's a federal law. Every once in a while the government actually does something sensible but this was enacted in 1975 so it's been a while. :rolleyes:

Oil and filter threads can and do get very, very long. They reappear every few months and rehash the same old discussions, arguments, opinions. I realize the search feature of this forum works poorly, but if you search on the term "viscosity" it will find some of the MANY prior threads covering this EXACT same question. Searching on "oil" will be pointless because the term is too common.

So, let's table this for now until we do our homework. Then and only then, if there remains any unanswered questions, we can resume. Fair enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back