• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

I have destroyed my engine (really)

happy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
www.nc700-forum.com
Hello guys,
I am not finding an excuse to sell my NC700x.

The engine seems busted.
It can rev but it is (how to describe this?) ...out of breath and out of power.
It is like something is broken inside or loss of compression or worse, one piston is broken or seals are broken etc.

Sorry I am not that technically inclined and I will have to send this bike to the shop to repair whatever is broken and possibly lose a thousand dollars or so, and then sell it.

Sigh.

Loss of power (suddenly after my trip yeste) when I reached home. Initially I thought it was the clutch but today I turned the engine on and the throttle response is so sickening. Revving but almost half or less the power. I don't even need to engage clutch to feel the difference.

The engine is broken?
Any advice what to do next?
Push it or cart it to the shop or ride it there at half power?
Former is expensive option. Latter could be even more expensive if I damage the engine further.

Again, I am not seeking excuse to sell the bike. I am strongly disappointed with the situation. Was it the high speed stress last week at 151kmh?
Ot was it 130kg combined weight with my son as pillion?

Please advise?
:(

Sent from my LG-D955 using Tapatalk

Could be a lot of things, some major, but most likely minor. Let us know how many miles you have on your bike and if you have had all your services performed. If the engine is indeed running but having trouble with power, I doubt the engine itself is fried. It could be a clogged air filter, computer problem, fuel injector clogged, valve adjustment issue, etc. It's OK if you are not mechanically inclined. Recommend that you get it towed to the dealer and have them take a look at it.

The fact that it still starts and runs at all makes it seam like it probably isn't a bad as you think but without a more detailed description it's hard to be sure. The first thing that comes to mind is the timing chain tensioner but I could be wrong. Whatever the case I wouldn't run it until someone with mechanical skills can take a look at it. Good luck and be patient I know how frustrating that situation can be. When you have more details post some more on the forum I know there are plenty of people happy to help when possible here.

It was neither the speed nor the passenger. The bike should not only be able to handle both but more of both. Didn't your mechanic mention a bad timing chain recently? Did you ever get that checked out?

If I'm mixing you up with someone else on the forum, I apologize.

Thanks guys.
Yes the Mechanic owner did mention a loud noise from the engine last month.
I did not check it out as the noise was always there since day one but it got louder.
It could also be a worn out clutch, but at 16000km?
I will try adjusting the clutch cable and see if it is somewhat jammed.
The feeling is like the clutch is disengaged (half clutch) while I rev the throttle without touching the clutch lever.

I don't think the timing chain is broken as the engine still runs.
I don't know if there is loss of compression or piston seal or valve broken etc.
No white smoke.

Anyway it is frustrating because I was thinking of trading up for a AT or a GS and now this happens which will affect the bike price.

I will keep you informed. I welcome further advice about self diagnosis please.
Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If I were you, I would take it to a reputable shop. The clutch has nothing to do with how the engine runs in neutral, so to my mind you are not addressing your problem. I am sorry to say it. If you run the engine without fixing it, you risk doing damage. If could be something simple as poor fuel due to not being used, a dirty air filter, damaged fuel injector etc, etc, but I don't think you'll be able to find the problem by yourself :(

A simple compression and/or leak down test will tell a lot.

Checking to see if one or both sparkplugs are tight and gapped properly, if the valves are adjusted properly, if the ignition/efi system is good. (ie: loose wire, bad coil, clogged fuel filter, etc.) Checking the air filter to make sure a furred or feathered thing hasn't built a nest in the intake over your winter storage period, and so on, would be an easy thing.

I would be extremely skeptical of a burned out clutch at this low mileage unless a fluke mechanical defect or an unlikely misuse of it. Possible, I guess, but super rare IMHO.

Picturing you taking it back to the same dealer as you have been mentioning previously makes me feel a bit scared, though...:(

The cruelest of ironies would be if that original guess of a sickly camchain adjuster was actually right, which caused a skip of the chain on the sprocket and the timing is all wonky now. Best ears and diagnostic evar, if so!

Thinking positive thoughts for ya, happy!

Also check to see if it's a bad sparkplug or wire, which would cause only one cylinder to fire.

Or even just a plug wire that has come off the plug if you're really lucky.

Just for future reference ALL motorcyclists should have a mechanical knowledge of how their machine works. When we brake down at night a long way from help we cannot crawl in the backseat for a nap. Mechanica systems are logical. Fuel/ electical/ mechanical. I doubt you engine is broken. If you piston was seized it wouldn't turn over, if your bottom end was gone it would sound like a metal squirrel trying to get out. If you timing had slipped you'd get popping, backforing. As mentioned chick the plugs, get down and look at the injector, look for loose/ disconnected wires. What does your oil look like? have you got coolent showing in the res.?

Hello guys,
I am not finding an excuse to sell my NC700x.
Sure you are! No problem though ;-)

You <claim> your engine is destroyed (really!) but.....but you aren't mechanically inclined.

You haven't even sent it to an actual motorbike mechanic to check out.

I think you like drama ;-)

Report back when you have some actual information....

It could be timing, a clogged fuel injector, a bad electronic sensor... a lot of things can cause power loss.
If you don't know what you are doing, take it to a mechanic.

Just for future reference ALL motorcyclists should have a mechanical knowledge of how their machine works. When we brake down at night a long way from help we cannot crawl in the backseat for a nap. Mechanica systems are logical. Fuel/ electical/ mechanical. I doubt you engine is broken. If you piston was seized it wouldn't turn over, if your bottom end was gone it would sound like a metal squirrel trying to get out. If you timing had slipped you'd get popping, backforing. As mentioned chick the plugs, get down and look at the injector, look for loose/ disconnected wires. What does your oil look like? have you got coolent showing in the res.?
I don't think it skipped a tooth either or I think it would be allot worse and I said chain "tensioner" not chain broken. If the chain tensioner has broken your engine timing advance wouldn't work so our low revving engine would lug out even earlier and I think would explain the symptoms you've explained. And yes if someone got that diagnosis by ear a week before it failed I would be most impressed, and that was a salesman not even a mechanic WOW

My guess:
Timing's off. Not spark/ignition timing, valve timing. I've had a timing belt jump a tooth or two before. What you describe is precisely the same as the symptoms on that engine. Compression & leak-down may/will indicate an issue if valve timing is off, because the valves aren't opening and closing at the expected time.

So the next question is should I ride it there (slowly)? It's about 20km.
Or pay 100chf for his towing service?
I think (thinking out loud) towing is a wiser choice and I can leave the bike there for him to check and fix.
(Sigh), i think it's not going to be cheap or fast.

Thanks guys for all your diagnosis and more importantly your kind words.

Sent from my LG-D955 using Tapatalk

Have it towed. If you don't know what's wrong then have it towed. Playing it safe is a good idea, I've seen little problems get much worse.

UPDATE: Towing is arranged this evening. Sad to come to this step and I am feeling totally "useless" where engine problem is the main complaint.

I cannot see any loose electrical connections (although this was a 2 min check before I went to work this morning).

I do not know how to remove and inspect the spark plugs (ok sorry I am totally lazy now about motorcycle maintenance, I bought the damm thing to ride, and not a HD to service/tinker with).

I have asked the garage owner (yes the same one who first heard a noise) to do a good makeover on the bike, change oil, adjust valves, brakes, whatever to make it "new" again.
Looks like a big bill coming and I "have to" keep this bike for longer use. Maybe I will do some retail therapy and buy my friend's GS afterall. Argh!!

Hey wait a second, I also asked him whether he still wants to trade for a new AT. Probably manual.
Fingers crossed. The prices have risen 10% since the AT factory closed.
Now a new one costs 14kchf (up from 12500).

Best of luck with getting it fixed. There are lots of things that could be causing this and some of them are very simple. Have you tried a WC GS yet ?

Back