• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Hypermiling the Blue Ridge Parkway - 94.6 MPG !!!

670cc

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Mods
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
After the SGT group disbanded following our 1st annual meet, I was faced with a choice of heading home to the west, or taking in some of the Blue Ridge Parkway to the east. The Blue Ridge Parkway is 470 miles of winding, paved two lane road that follows the Blue Ridge of the Appalachian Mountains, with no towns, stop signs, traffic lights, residences, businesses, or commercial traffic for the whole way. It was a beautiful clear day, so I chose east!

I fueled up at Cherokee, NC, right near the southern entrance to the Parkway. As always, I top it off almost to the point of overflowing out the filler neck. I headed up the Parkway, and it was indeed the best weather I had ever seen up there - perfectly clear blue sky. I made a number of stops to shoot photos of the NC (some of which I'll post later). As I went along it occurred to me that this would be the ideal testing ground to see what kind of gas mileage the NC700X could achieve. I figured the it should be capable of 90 MPG. Then I thought of the line from "Back To The Future", where Marty Mcfly says, "Let's see if you bastards can do 90." (Too much time to think while riding.)

When I saw the first fuel gauge bar disappear at 110 miles, I'm thinking I'm on to something here, so I go into full hypermiling mode: minimal throttle, tucking in behind the small screen at times, top gear whenever possible, speeds around 45 MPH (which is the speed limit on the Parkway anyhow), and some coasting down hills if the bike would maintain or pick up speed on the coast. I'm on the most beautiful road east of the Rockies, so what's the hurry anyway? The gauge bars continued to disappear much later than usual as they counted down. There was some side wind that whipped around the hills in the last 50 miles, sometimes working to my advantage, sometimes to a disadvantage.

Around 255 miles on the Parkway it was getting cold, so I decided I'd better turn west toward home. I jumped off the Parkway, but luckily, the GPS guided me down some great two-laners where I could continue my hypermiling mode. The flashing fuel bar first appeared when I braked on a downhill with around 269 miles on the trip meter. At 274, it was flashing for good. I'm getting a little worried as it nears 300 miles on the tank, so I vow to gas up the very next chance I see. At 296 miles, I hit Interstate 81 and a fuel station. I filled the tank to the point of overflow, using all of 3.132 gallons, for a fuel economy of 94.6 MPG! See the photos that document the fill up.

Yes, the bastards can do 90, and I'm guessing 100 MPG is remotely possible. The two tanks that followed on my way home were 84 MPG due to slow speeds and tailwinds.

As always, Your Mileage May Vary.

Greg

100_5143s.jpg100_5141s.jpg100_5142s.jpg

Last edited:
94.6 MPG = The new NC700X Record holder 670cc!
I was hoping to be the one that beat Dave's record, but you beat me to it!!! Good for you Greg!!!

What was the altitude where you started measuring and where you stopped measuring?

That's it.....................he cheated it was all downhill..................LOL

The ride started at 2020 feet above sea level, spends a lot of time at 4000-5000 feet, and peaks at 6053. It ended at Chilhowie, VA at 1952 feet. The start and end are only 68 feet difference.

Here is the obligatory photo from the peak of the Parkway:
100_5114s.jpg

Greg

Last edited:
excellent score, kudos!

is this in a way open invitation to try and beat the record? I was thinking climbing the Alps, and then measuring from the highest point, going down in neutral .... or free-falling :)

jokes aside, need to work on my riding style to improve my result....

I wonder if i can jump the Grand Canyon with my NC7X to get a total miles cover least gas used.

Excellent mileage, i thought i was doing really good with 80.37 first tank of gas, you got me beat.

That's impressive even for hypermiling. A couple of questions; I do not yet own one of the 700 models. I'm waiting for the CTX to come out and then decide (sorry if it's been covered in another thread). Did you use the miles indicated on the GPS or on the bike? In either case, I'd like to know the answer to the second question...How accurate is the trip meter/odometer on the NC700X? This is a question for anyone who has checked this.

I currently own a Piaggio BV350 scooter and a Jetta TDI diesel 1.9L. I obsess with making sure I always record my mpg in my car and scooter, and I also obsess to make sure I'm recording accurate data. For instance, I've learned with my diesel car that, when I mount average new tires with the original diameter on them, I've got about a 3% error that is optimistic, meaning, I've got to multiply my miles driven times .97 to get my true miles driven before calculating my mpg. As the tires gradually wear, there are a couple of things going on. I start getting better and better mpg recordings (up to 6%) that is caused mostly I assume by the loss of grip on the road, however, one percent of that is not true mpg gain, but in reality, it's a tire diameter loss. I've learned all of this over time, so periodically I 'll check the accuracy of the distances driven and I'll increase the error to 4% on the car, and at that point, I'll multiply by .96.

With respect to the BV350, I've noticed that the odometer/trip meter is very, very close to actual with new tires, so I treat it as such, but I did notice before replacing the rear tire that the odometer had become about 1% optimistic but I never accounted for that during the tire life cycle. I've not owned the BV350 long enough to know for sure when to make the correction or even if I should since it stays so close to accurate, so I just calculate it straight out. I'm not going to own it much longer anyway. When I get the new Honda, It'll be gone; maybe sooner.

I'm just wondering all of this, because I keep hearing and reading how high readings some folks are getting on the NCX (many readings over 70), and I was just wondering if anyone has been considering whether the odometer is accurate, or if folks are going by GPS indicated miles, or comparing them on this forum. As one can tell by my car, it can be a significant error.

Check my Fuelly signature and you can see the difference between the odometer,trip and gps.
There is a difference.

Check my Fuelly signature and you can see the difference between the odometer,trip and gps.
There is a difference.

I guessed there would be some odometer error, and I haven't specifically checked it yet. I've noticed as my rear tire has worn that the speedometer has gone about 1% more optomistic than when new. We could also bring into question the accuracy of filling station fuel pumps if we want. I know they're supposed to be tested by the state, but I'd expect there is some variation from pump to pump.

Frankly, even if you wanted to dock it 5% for gross error, 95% of 94.6 (89.87) is still quite remarkable. The good thing is I got to ride half of the BRP without jumping off just to get more fuel, and it cost me only $10.33.

Greg

Last edited:
I think you guys are overlooking the coefficient of thermal expansion of gasoline versus ambient temperature, and altitude. Not to mention your current SAE oil rating, and quality control of say Mobil corporate stations versus no-name stations and water infiltration into holding tanks. And your riding position that fill up, slouched, upright, or tucked.

That is the only way to get accuracy to even the first decimal place!

More seriously, I have to wonder how accurate GPS is on hills. The bird's eye (satellite) view of distance traveled is different than that of a tire on rolling hills.

I think you guys are overlooking the coefficient of thermal expansion of gasoline versus ambient temperature, and altitude. Not to mention your current SAE oil rating, and quality control of say Mobil corporate stations versus no-name stations and water infiltration into holding tanks. And your riding position that fill up, slouched, upright, or tucked.

rolling hills.

I guess I should have been more specific. When I wrote that I try to be as accurate as possible on mpg, what I mean is in a practical and reasonable sense. What I mean to say is that I don't want to be telling people I'm getting 70 mpg, when in fact, I have some sort of gross error in my data that would put me 3 to 5 mpg off. For instance, if the odometer error is 7% on the NC700X (and I'm not saying that it is), and folks are reporting regular, average mpg at or about 70 mpg, then we're really getting 65 mpg, and that's a pretty significant error in our claims.

I wasn't referring to this hyper-mileing test specifically. It has more to do with our regular claims, or our collective claims on fuelly where there is a known, significant, regular error that we are unknowingly inducing on every fill up. Other factors that affect our calculations are often minor, are only periodic, or are actually affecting true mpg but are attributable to other factors besides our riding style or the machine that we're riding. With respect to some of these other possible errors, they will usually even out over time, and the average will be somewhat representative of true mpg, but with respect to a significant trip meter error, this is something we can learn, know, and account for and it is an error that is always in the same direction.

As for pumps, I imagine that could vary somewhat, but I generally use the same pump every time, but even if I don't, since I check my mpg almost every time, I've already got an idea of how much fuel should be going back in the tank at any specific spot on the fuel gauge, and if there were a significant difference in what the pump shows the volume to be and what I think it should be, I would be skeptical. I've never had that happen.

Last edited:

More seriously, I have to wonder how accurate GPS is on hills. The bird's eye (satellite) view of distance traveled is different than that of a tire on rolling hills.

I Use my Odometer for fuel mileage because it's easier. I'm sure the GPS isn't perfect though, but I bet its not far off. Most of the time my GPS is locked on 8 satellites, they not only tell the speed and distance, they also tell you the elevation. So I'm betting they don't loose very much on hills.

As far as I'm concerned, 94.6 mpg is the number to beat.

Back