• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How the NC stacks up against the Africa twin.

Sumter Honda had the AT ,unless your over 6 foot tall and like a top heavy bike ,your better off with the NC.

So you rode it then ? Perhaps you could elaborate ? Just interested as an AT owner and having put over 30,000kms on an NC.

Wondering the same thing. Sort of, I just brushing his comments off as someone who probably hasn't even sat on one yet. I'm 5'10" and I can flat foot better on the AT with the seat in the high position, than I can on my NC. Though I do have an aftermarket shock and seat on my NC which made it taller. Also, I suppose if the only other comparison bike you have to the AT is the NC then I could see how that person might think it top heavy. But when compared to other bikes it is not that heavy up top.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have a top heavy motorcycle and that is my Triumph 1200 Explorer. Shifting it upright off its side stand is never easy especially as I have the suspension well preloaded. By comparison, both the NC and the AT feel very light. Even the Yam ST feels light by comparison and yet there is little difference in overall weight between it and the Triumph.

Sumter Honda had the AT ,unless your over 6 foot tall and like a top heavy bike ,your better off with the NC.

You think you'll miss the frunk? In a way, the absence of the frunk and having a 5 gal. fuel tank, does make it (more) top heavy.
But sure don't notice it much when riding.

Just picked mine up today! Took the long way home from the dealership of course. Put 82 miles on a nice mid morning ride.
86658f5d259f8d228aad7f90e8eaa0d2.jpg

149ca25ed73500c41e8952006d8b5391.jpg

e024c257248e81febdb8d5d615fee2d2.jpg

The whole DCT thing is still new to me, but so far I'm liking it.

Just picked mine up today! Took the long way home from the dealership of course. Put 82 miles on a nice mid morning ride.

e024c257248e81febdb8d5d615fee2d2.jpg

The whole DCT thing is still new to me, but so far I'm liking it.

You chose well, JDE and congrats.
I chose the Dakar Red with DCT because it looks like a girl with a red bikini.

Mine is currently undressed for adding some electric accessories. She is shy, therefore some stock pics:

AT profile_image.jpgAT Red_1.jpgAT Red.jpg

The red sure is sexy! Only one my dealer had was the silver, so I took it as apposed to waiting until who knows when to find the elusive red DCT. Colors are easily changed on a bike. If I really want it a different color, I will make it happen.

You are an odd fecker anyway John so you got that much right :p

Go on, tell us what do you not like about it. I am sick and tired of folks going on and on about how good it is. It is almost like the good pupil in school sitting at the front of the class all the time. Just get it off your chest !

I must be the odd one on here who doesn't like the AT. thats why I've not made any comments.

Careful jonny, i made a comment about the DCT and I was almost hammered to death.
Also about the GS.

Anyway, it could end up being me buying an AT DCT.

My NC is in the hospital.

Griffy me old fruit I think your the older cantankerous git I'm just a younger moaning cantankerous git so I think we'll fit in with the rest of em on here.lol
Happy lad the saying goes sticks 'n' stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me.
I've had some stick off some members on here through pms etc and a little bit on the forum.
if I take note and get upset with these key board warriors I'd be on a anger management course every f***ing day.lol
every body has different taste to what they think is beautiful sorry but the AT is just ugly a bike only a mother could love..

Being to think that I will get my someday, somehow africa twin DCT dakar last in line!

You must either be exceptionally loyal to the dealer you are getting your bike from, or you are getting a heck of a deal on it...

It seems you could fly and ride to any number of dealers in other states where these things are laying around being used as door stoppers, lol

I would be giving your dealer some stick as to why you are waiting so long when everyone else has been riding for weeks or months already! :(

I really like the look of the AT compared to any of the other bikes in the same approximate class, but I still would never buy one. It just doesn't do anything for me, I'm afraid. (neither do any of the other big bruiser ADV bikes, aside from a long shot, with the Super Tenere, and that's strictly because of it's shaft drive, big tank, and 26,000 mile valve checks)

I wouldn't want to set a tire off road on any of them, the weight is just too intense for me to contemplate, and the cost is way out of my budget anyway.

No, for sure the AT is superior in many ways over the NC, but IMHO at least the X self limits how gnarly you can get off pavement, before the getting gets so tough that you find yourself in serious trouble with a 500 lb+ machine lol

I'm 5'8" with a 28" inseam & with the Honda "Low Seat" I can firmly place both feet on the ground!! Not Flat on the ground but I can get the balls of both feet there!! It is a big bike but it is a 1000cc bike that eats Pavement miles easily & what it can do "Off Pavement" is what I bought it for!! Mine is a Silver DCT, , my NC was a Manual!! The more I ride the DCT the more I like it!!

the AT is just ugly a bike only a mother could love..

Is that the best You can come up with ?

Actually I cannot make up my mind about the appearance of the bike from the front. In short I don't know whether I like or dislike it. It is kind of "bug eyed".

However it is far from perfect.

The shock is suspect from the getgo. It is the total opposite of the NC shock in that it is extremely soft, and already at my average weight I have used up 75% of the adjustment on spring and rebound damping. I will get by in my temperate climate for now, but the real expedition folks are changing the shocks to enable them carry more weight, especially in hot countries where the damping fades with heat. Then again, it is not unusual for folks to change shocks on their bikes for various reasons.

The plastics are a real pain in the backside to remove both front and rear. Even some dealers are breaking tabs off in in the course of their efforts to get them off. My KTM's simply had alloy screws holding the plastics on. The AT plastics are also brittle and one needs good protection to prevent breakage in a fall. I won't even go into the cost of replacing them.

The side stand is very flexible. I believe one or two folks have already broken them although I am not sure how this was achieved.

Some folks are having problems with corrosion of the spokes. I believe some wheels have already been replaced because of this.

So, there you have it, not perfect, but still a hell of a good bike and so far my lower back is thanking me for purchasing.

oh its a HELL of a bike to right by the sound of it its only been out a couple of months or so and things are starting to go wrong so its a good bike then Griffy lad.
you always seem to have problems with your shocks.
what you need Griff is a chopper you'll have no problems with rear shocks then

I'm 5'8" with a 28" inseam & with the Honda "Low Seat" I can firmly place both feet on the ground!! Not Flat on the ground but I can get the balls of both feet there!! It is a big bike but it is a 1000cc bike that eats Pavement miles easily & what it can do "Off Pavement" is what I bought it for!! Mine is a Silver DCT, , my NC was a Manual!! The more I ride the DCT the more I like it!!
We're you at TWoS last Saturday with your Queen?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Back