• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How the NC stacks up against the Africa twin.

Once you stand on the left peg, your knees are at seat level.
No need to swing back with your right foot; bring your right knee up towards your chest
and the foot clears the seat- almost looking like a flamingo :D

2f49078e88214304895103097c18be95.jpg

True, but when all of your camping gear is strapped to the rear seat in front of the rear box, somehow the old leg has to clear the camping gear. I have just found a solution. The tent must have a pack size of less than 18 inches, to fit in any of the panniers or top case. So, the tent poles when folded must be less than 18" to fit in a pannier "or" tie the tent poles and camp chair above the top box. This will work "if" the drone will fit into the tank bag. Otherwise the case for the drone will have to be on the top box rack. If the tank bag does work for storage of the drone all is solved. But, if the drone does not fit into the tank bag, must have a case for the drone on the rear rack. I found a few 3 person tents with tent poles around 14 inches. Most of the tents I found that would work to fit into the panniers are in the $600 range, except for the Kelty TraiLogic TN3 tent. The Kelty is nice, with a cost of $299.95 with no ground tarp. Also, I found that you can not use 2" Rox risers with the Givi quick detach tank bag with drone, as the handle bars will hit the tank bag in tight turns. Seems to all ways be some trade offs on any bike!

Last edited:
maybe a sliding rails gizmo attached to the rear with a sliding cradle on it seat so you can slide the cradle with all the stuff to the rear to get on the bike and the pull the cradle to its "click" secured latch place close to your body when underway

Spent the last 2 week on the NC the 2 bikes are just too different the NC is so compact in comparison I can say after 6700 miles so far on the AT I still stand by the NC for what it's purpose is for. The AT for me is slightly more comfortable with better wind protection than the NC but the NC is easy to get at still gets incredible gas milage in comparison to the AT 52 mpg vs 74 and is still great on the freeway even for a long road trip imo the fuel injection is slightly better on the NC imo especially at lower speeds the AT transmission is much smoother than the NC I can hardly feel the clicks into the gears after 1-2. I feel the reach to the bars on the AT are a little long for me I haven't touched them though because the stand up position is awesome for me. I may add some risers and tilt them back like I have done with my NC because the bars were a little to far away as well . I am considering addressing the suspension on the NC next year. The way I see it I need both bikes the AT for long adventure off road rides (planning the UBDR next year ) and the NC for everything else with the AT mixed in.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Spent the last 2 week on the NC the 2 bikes are just too different the NC is so compact in comparison I can say after 6700 miles so far on the AT I still stand by the NC for what it's purpose is for. The AT for me is slightly more comfortable with better wind protection than the NC but the NC is easy to get at still gets incredible gas milage in comparison to the AT 52 mpg vs 74 and is still great on the freeway even for a long road trip imo the fuel injection is slightly better on the NC imo especially at lower speeds the AT transmission is much smoother than the NC I can hardly feel the clicks into the gears after 1-2. I feel the reach to the bars on the AT are a little long for me I haven't touched them though because the stand up position is awesome for me. I may add some risers and tilt them back like I have done with my NC because the bars were a little to far away as well . I am considering addressing the suspension on the NC next year. The way I see it I need both bikes the AT for long adventure off road rides (planning the UBDR next year ) and the NC for everything else with the AT mixed in.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

I have about the same thoughts and feeling about the two bikes. I would also like to have the risers on the AT, but will the risers enterfere with the tank bag?

Your observations are interesting.

Indeed the two bikes are very different. One (the NC) was intended as an adventure style commuter (albeit it has exceeded expectations) and the other was intended as a full on adventure motorcycle. However , for me the AT is vastly more comfortable over the rough backroads that I frequent, and that is to be expected. I am 5'8" and I found that the handlebars on both bikes were perfectly to hand. Indeed the stand up position on the AT is also good for me.

Weight wise both bikes are very similar for me. The AT is just as easy to manhandle as the NC was. Economy on the AT is good given the undersquare motor, the extra 300cc and the less aerodynamic aspect of the AT. I found the transmission on the NC a little better than my AT albeit the slam into first gear (NC), but there is very little between them. I agree that the AT suspension needs attention but for the opposite reasons than the NC. One is too hard and the other too soft.

A couple of pics from todays ride in the hills near home. One is a different aspect to the post in 178, much better visibility. The pics were taken around 15.45 and the temperature was about 3C. Good to be alive and on a bike.....

P1050430.jpg

P1050436.jpg

So the AT is better on these bumpy roads? Not less controlled in through corner surprises on a high riding rhythm?

I am not sure if I understand the second sentence of your post but for me it is more comfortable, and there are no issues with control in corners.

I am not sure if I understand the second sentence of your post but for me it is more comfortable, and there are no issues with control in corners.

since they are both a good 240kg+load, if you encounter a pot hole/rabbit or whatever mid corner and you have to convince the loaded bike to change line while going at a sporty pace, does the AT behave similarly to the NC or it floats around too much offering less control to the surprised guy atop?

since they are both a good 240kg+load, if you encounter a pot hole/rabbit or whatever mid corner and you have to convince the loaded bike to change line while going at a sporty pace, does the AT behave similarly to the NC or it floats around too much offering less control to the surprised guy atop?
Are you asking about cornering traction or the suspension?
IMO, traction would be the same given exact same tires.
The suspension on the ATwin is day'n'nite better than the NC, properly set up.

Well, being bed ridden, I have nowhere near the AT ride time that other folks have. A lot has to do with the point of impact and the size of the hole or animal I hit. However, I do know a tall tire goes over objects easier, than a shorter tire. BUT also the lower the center of mass, the better the bike handles. Sometimes things have two completley different purposes.

Last edited:
no guys, I ask about how precise and agile it feels to change an already taken line mid corner to avoid something unexpected - this is what I always hated with heavier dual sport bikes I have ridden on occasion in the past (E750/DR800/R1100GS/F800GS and maybe a few more), you choose a fast and happy line while on the sporty go in the mountain twisties and the bike follows it well but there is little you can do to alter it mid corner and there is not enough precision vs smaller lighter bikes

my question is about how different the AT is to the NC in its tarmac mid-corner ways and agility

IMO, traction would be the same given exact same tires.
The suspension on the ATwin is day'n'nite better than the NC, properly set up.
]Conversely, properly set up an NC's suspension is day and night better than the AT's soft off road biased suspension for fast riding on twisty roads.

Good off road suspension does not work as well as good street suspension does when hustling twisty pavement. There are definite reasons why high performing street bikes don't have 9" of suspension travel on skinny 21" front wheels shod with bias ply tires. Of course the rider has much more to do with it than the bike does but all being things equal in motorsports we don't race dirt bikes on road courses and we don't race sport bikes off road.

I understand what you say. The NC would change direction a little more easily if required to do so quickly. That would make sense as it is also lower to the ground and has a shorter radius of pivot on its wheel contact points. However to counter that and give one more leverage, the AT has wider bars. As is mentioned above there is no perfect bike for multi purpose travel. However the AT for me, is as close as it gets. Prior to that a favourite of a similar nature was the 950KTM Adventure. However, for quick changes of direction the AT is better than the KTM and imho easier to ride all round.

Last edited by a moderator:
Waiting to see if this AT becomes reality...(I may need a step ladder to get on it though)
View attachment 31888View attachment 31889

That is a similar concept to the KTM 950SE. That was a good bike, albeit a heavy one, that never sold well. They are now very collectable and sell for good prices. They were a good bike, but like any heavy bike, if they got stuck in a bog they were a devil to get out. A good mid capacity single could still run rings around them on proper offroad going, unless in the hands of an expert.

1115.jpg

That is a similar concept to the KTM 950SE. That was a good bike, albeit a heavy one, that never sold well. They are now very collectable and sell for good prices. They were a good bike, but like any heavy bike, if they got stuck in a bog they were a devil to get out. A good mid capacity single could still run rings around them on proper offroad going, unless in the hands of an expert.

...typical adv cycle off-pavement poses:

route-1-1024x768.jpg

5.jpg

3.jpg

Back