• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Honda recall

Mac. It sounds like you were fortunate. I bought my 2015 I a few months ago and my VIN IS on the recall list!
>T

The 2014 NC700X I purchased about 3 weeks ago was subject to the recall. The salesman I dealt with didn't mention it until after I told him I wanted to purchase the bike and I'd like to come pick it up in 45 minutes. THAT's when he mentioned that they couldn't actually sell the bike until the recall was completed.

I asked how long before they had the parts and he said "should be by the middle of next week." After reading this forum over the weekend, I became aware of issues with the 2014 speedometer cluster so I called on Tuesday of the next week to ask them to just replace the speedo so I wouldn't have to worry about it.

I asked about the starter recall at that time and he became very defensive saying it would be a "week or two" and that I should just cool out. I told him I was a bit put off by the fact that he didn't tell me about it in the first place and now the timeline seems completely undetermined. I told him there was a limit to how long I would wait. He told me I could back out of the deal at any time. I thanked him, but told him I already knew that part.

I got a call the next morning saying the recall was complete and that I could pick up my new bike anytime I'd like. :) Upon speaking with the owner, I learned that Honda apparently makes special efforts when the dealer is about to lose a sale.

I'm REALLY enjoying my new bike!

Quick update... I printed off a copy of the recall and stopped by my local shop (South Sound Honda - Hondabikepro's place) to discuss it. The service writer looked at the page and walked to a shelf. He pulled a little box off the shelf and said "here's the part, do you have a few minutes?". I walked around the parts dept for a little while and then he called my cell to tell me the bike was definitely in the recall, the part on my bike was definitely the bad part, and that the recall service was finished. I walked down to the service dept and drove away on my freshly updated bike.
It's hard to say enough good stuff about this dealership....
>Thom

. . I learned that Honda apparently makes special efforts when the dealer is about to lose a sale. . .

Of course. And if you already bought your bike and the Honda dealer already has your money, well then, you can go to the end of the line. :mad:

Last edited:
I also have a 2015 that is showing up on the list with "no solution at this time". So do I still bring it to the dealer or wait for a "solution"?

Update on recall repairs from dealer

Of course. And if you already bought your bike and the Honda dealer already has your money, well then, you can go to the end of the line. :mad:

Spoke with the service adviser today. Parts on order include solenoid "kit" and new wiring harness. Not sure if this is a major harness or not but sounds like a big deal. Harness to be replaced because of melted multi-pin connector near solenoid.
Looks like it is going to take a while. :(
We are having some fine riding weather here in the mountains and I sit sadly on the sidelines.

Yep. Pretty crappy IMHO. The owner and I talked about it. My whole buying experience kinda bummed me out on Honda. My parents were partial owners/partners in a Honda dealership here in Colorado from the early 70's through the late 80's. I literally grew up with Hondas having owned many models from a 1974 Z50 through a Goldwing. Ironically, I had to go borrow a street bike from the shop to take my driver's license test as a teenager because I didn't own a street bike. That day was really the first time I'd ever ridden on pavement!

But I digress... I came back to Honda after having owned a Kawasaki, a Suzuki, and a couple of BMWs in the interim. I came back to Honda because I wanted to concentrate on riding instead of tinkering or worrying what design shortfall I'd have to deal with next. Unfortunately, what I've had so far is a speedo cluster and a starter solenoid recall. My bike just turned 600 miles today. I'd also have to classify as a manufacturing defect that midieval torture bench posing as a seat!

Maybe I'm just being too picky, but it just seems to me that we're beta testing a new product for Honda. Some of this stuff should've been worked out before the model was released.

All this being said, I put 200+ miles on my bike today and averaged over 67 mpg. I love the gearing and the smooth, quiet engine. If I can figure out the seat and a windscreen solution, I'll be pretty happy.

Yep. Pretty crappy IMHO. The owner and I talked about it. My whole buying experience kinda bummed me out on Honda. My parents were partial owners/partners in a Honda dealership here in Colorado from the early 70's through the late 80's. I literally grew up with Hondas having owned many models from a 1974 Z50 through a Goldwing. Ironically, I had to go borrow a street bike from the shop to take my driver's license test as a teenager because I didn't own a street bike. That day was really the first time I'd ever ridden on pavement!

I think this comes down to the dealer, not Honda themselves. Never had that kind of treatment from a dealer. I would change dealers or speak with someone else. I changed shops for my services to one that actually takes appointments. Best thing I ever did.

I think this comes down to the dealer, not Honda themselves. Never had that kind of treatment from a dealer. I would change dealers or speak with someone else. I changed shops for my services to one that actually takes appointments. Best thing I ever did.

Yep. I agree. After today, I'm done with my dealer. Upon inspecting my bike today after yesterday's 200 mile ride, I found oil all over my engine. Since the dealer had to adjust my valves approximately 22 hours after I took delivery 3 weeks ago, I assumed I had a leaky valve cover gasket. I had planned to stop by the dealer today anyway to pick up some official Honda oil for my first oil change so I decided to just let them deal with the leak.

After only a minute or two of looking (and the service advisor implying that I failed to adequately tighten the dipstick) the problem was discovered. When they did the valve adjustment, they removed the breather tube and tucked it up and out of the way. They failed to reattach it. Oops.

They offered to have their lot guy wash my bike to get rid of all the oil, but I declined. I assumed this was the same lot guy who scratched the crap out of the stock windscreen during the pre-delivery wash job. I didn't want my brand new Givi windscreen scratched up. I also didn't want engine oil smeared all over my bike when he used the same wash rag to wash the engine and then the rest of the bike.

The irony of my visit to the dealer today was that they tried to scare me into having them do my 600 mile service because things as important as this ought to be left to the professionals. I just shook my head and reminded them that I was visiting them to fix one of their previous attempts at "professional" maintenance.

I was already planning to do an oil change and install an OEM center stand today, so I just hosed the engine down with some high pressure Stoddard solvent and it's good as new. I love the smell of that solvent! Reminds me of a really clean aircraft engine.

Last edited:
12 Days/still waiting

Service writer called yesterday to say that they will be replacing main wiring harness and starter relay. Relay is in transit. Sounds like this relay is widely used in Honda Powersports equipment and non-defective ones are in short supply. Sad sitting on the sidelines and hoping work will be complete next week. Everything is going to be OK, right? Right!

Service writer called yesterday to say that they will be replacing main wiring harness and starter relay. Relay is in transit. Sounds like this relay is widely used in Honda Powersports equipment and non-defective ones are in short supply. Sad sitting on the sidelines and hoping work will be complete next week. Everything is going to be OK, right? Right!

Man, I'd be going CRAZY! We don't get many months of truly great riding weather so when you start taking away weeks at a time, I'd not be happy at all! Heck, I almost killed the deal on my new NC when they told me I couldn't take delivery for a week or two. I'm happy now that I didn't kill the deal, but it was a close call at the time.

It is sad to miss great late summer riding days. An exercise in patience is the best way to look at it. It does seem like more work around the house is getting done without a scoot in the garage.

I took mine in for the 8000 mile service and they said there was a recall (I already knew) but there was no "resolution" posted, but they did have the ability to test and rule out whether I needed the recall performed. I had mine replaced back in June due to an issue, so when they inspected it, it was fine, no need to replace. Depending on the dealer, have them check it if you take it in for service and you will at least know one way or the other.

I've been blissfully ignorant about this latest recall until 20min ago my wife handed me a notice from Honda nad the NHTSA... Hmm. I'll be inspecting mine mysef first, as I have had no issues at all thus far, and lke others of you, I have absolutely no faith in the dealer, (that damn Ride-Now again), I bought it from or their sister store I was taking my bike to while it was under warranty. (That expired at the end of July) When they replaced the fuel pump/sending unit, they rounded out the hex bolts holding the tail light section on, used a dremmel to grind a notch in one then left them a bit loose when I got the bike back. If I hadn't been installing SW motech pannier racks, I'd have never found them until I heard the tail light bouncing or something I would hope. They weren't even finger tight. WHen I complained at the service manager, he asked me to bring it in, then replaced the notched screw with one from a new bike not on the floor yet. Guess it was one they can't sell becasue of the solenoid recall? GRRR!!!!!!!! :mad: I hope sombody didn't get suckered.

Last edited:
I'm in Arlington, VA in the USA and I just got my recall letter yesterday. Apparently it's bad insulation on the starter relay which can cause the bike to not start, stall, or catch fire.

In the mail today my son got a recall envelope. He is not around to open it. I can't wait.

But..........I ran all our serial numbers a month or so ago and came up negative. So that means the site Recall Information - Honda Powersports is bullshit worthless.

I ran all three NCs multiple times using both ways. And by the way, all the ones using the year, model etc ended up referring to a serial number being needed.

At this moment the site is unresponsive. It does have this.

"Our Company puts high priority on the safety and quality of our products. This site provides current recall information about your Powersports products.

This website provides recall information announced in the past 15 years; older recalls are not included."

The older I get the more I get sick of this kind of bullshit. All the Yada about how the customer is so important.... bullshit. I thought better of Honda - one of the reasons I went for another.

Last edited:
Yeah, that recall site also showed mine as clear, today I got the mail notice, going in Friday as the dealer says he has a replacement in stock. :cool:

Back