• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Honda Light Bar and Radiator Cap clearance

Lou Wambsganss

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just a quick little tip here. I installed the Honda Light Bar a while ago and noticed at the time that it made access to the radiator cap a little more difficult. This became a minor inconvenience when it came time to do the valve check and refill the radiator. I had to use a funnel and length of hose to get coolant back in the radiator. Again, just a minor inconvenience; nothing to worry too much about.

20140402_172419.jpg

20140402_172413.jpg

Afterwards, I transferred my remaining coolant into a baby shampoo bottle (well rinsed). The pump top made the minor top-offs that are always necessary following a system drain easier. When it's time for a drain and fill again, I can still revert back to the funnel and hose and just dump the bottle in.

20140322_031701.jpg

I didn't want to post this yesterday, as I hate the whole concept of April Fools day, and didn't want to be confused as a trick. :(

As a side note, I also left the lock screw off of the radiator cap so that I wouldn't need to get a screwdriver every time just to remove the cap and check the level. In the last month of daily commutes, it hasn't tried to back off at all. The cap seems to have the same detent barbs as almost every automotive radiator cap, so I wouldn't think that there is any increased risk of the cap coming off accidentally. I promise, if I ever get a scalding hot glycol volcano on my right leg, I will post pics so you can all laugh at me. :p

Attachments

• 20140322_031701.jpg
    20140322_031701.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 314
"Goodness, gracious, great balls a fire!" LOL, I found the same problem and decided to leave the screw off. I hope Chuck Berry didn't have us in mind in that song.

Routine level checks are done at the reservoir near the oil filter. After the initial fill following a drain job, I make all additions via the tank. After a couple rides and cool downs, I wouldn't think there would be any space in the radiator unless the reservoir was empty. Is that not the case?

Level checks are done at the reservoir, but fluid moves to and from the reservoir by way of a siphon effect. If the siphon stops working, you can have an empty radiator and a full reservoir. So It's a good idea to check that the radiator is full now and then.

The radiator should draw from the reservoir if everything is working properly (which, granted, it should be on a newer bike). I still like to get a visual on the actual radiator level just to be sure. Helps me sleep at night. If the hose from the rad to the tank has an air leak, the radiator will not draw coolant back in.

Head to toe baby coolant.

I know the NC might be your baby, but does it really have a head and a toe? and can the coolant really be applied to any of those location? Might want to add another label over the words "Head to toe" that says "engine" or "radiator" or something to make it clear not to apply that stuff just any where. ;)

I promise, if I ever get a scalding hot glycol volcano on my right leg, I will post pics so you can all laugh at me. :p

Mechanic just did that to my wifes car last week after we got the radiator swapped out. watched it happen from a save distance, and it was hysterical. Would have been better if it was some one elses car, and if it didn't mean a longer wait for me, but I took the bicycle down to the bar and had some lunch and a beer while I waited so it all worked out.

Also think I need to specify when I take my car to that shop that I want the old mechanic working on my car, not the kid who doesn't know that when he is asked to check the coolant on a hot engine it means look at the reservoir.

Probably not, since it was not he who performed it. (or wrote it):D

Oh man, I absolutely got that wrong! I definitely have Old-Timers disease. It was Jerry Lee Lewis that performed it and Otis Blackwell and Jack Hammer that wrote it. I had to use Wiki for the writers. Thanks Pahondafan for keeping the record straight! No pun intended.

Back