• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Honda Heated Grip Problem

So far so good on my Honda grips. We'll see though. I did not use them much this winter. I could not even tell they were on with thick gloves so I just stopped using them. They didn't get 10 hours on them probably.

So far so good on my Honda grips. We'll see though. I did not use them much this winter. I could not even tell they were on with thick gloves so I just stopped using them. They didn't get 10 hours on them probably.

What kind of gloves? My grips @ #3 get unbearably burning hot even with my winter gloves on. Unless it's way below zero, I can't use setting #3, and often #2 is still too hot.
:eek:

What kind of gloves? My grips @ #3 get unbearably burning hot even with my winter gloves on. Unless it's way below zero, I can't use setting #3, and often #2 is still too hot.
:eek:

I was using the Mobile Warming LTD MAX heated gloves. That combined with Grip Puppies and I can't even tell they are on #3. They are great for 40-50 degrees and light gloves. When I was riding in 20F temps all winter they were no good. Didn't even try to use them.

SI could not even tell they were on with thick gloves so I just stopped using them.
Must be defective or something...I'm <still> running winter gloves (Maine) and the grips get so hot on high that I can't leave them on for more than a few minutes. Rode down to Max BMW in New Hampshire last weekend in a cold rain (42 degrees) and while the rest of me was frozen, my hands were burning :)

Must be defective or something...I'm <still> running winter gloves (Maine) and the grips get so hot on high that I can't leave them on for more than a few minutes. Rode down to Max BMW in New Hampshire last weekend in a cold rain (42 degrees) and while the rest of me was frozen, my hands were burning :)
That is my experience including the Honda OEMs when new.

Another detail. My Honda heated grips didn't just quit they got progressively weaker first. If anyone has them that are not hot it may be early stage of failure.

Good observation. Honestly I had just assumed the something got unplugged on your's since there are like 7 electrical plug type connections to making them go. Mine are new and hot as hell. I have to back off the medium setting often.

They get nice and hot. I've had the grip puppies off with medium gloves and I can't have them on high. Add grip puppies and thick gloves at 20F and I can't even tell they are on. Just my experience.

I'm tempted to measure the heat later this week based off of dduelin's comment and see how hot they get.

Took bike in for 16k service and had grips checked at same time. One of the grips has an open circuit. Wired in series, so both fail if one fails. Bad news is grips only have 6 month warranty and fix is to buy new ones. If I buy more they won't be Honda. Bought them with new bike at start of summer. It was 6 months before I started using them.

Honda and I are no longer friends. After market grips fraction of price with better warranty.

Took bike in for 16k service and had grips checked at same time. One of the grips has an open circuit. Wired in series, so both fail if one fails. Bad news is grips only have 6 month warranty and fix is to buy new ones. If I buy more they won't be Honda. Bought them with new bike at start of summer. It was 6 months before I started using them.

Honda and I are no longer friends. After market grips fraction of price with better warranty.

I would revisit this issue (if 6 months is the problem and your under the one year limit) with the dealer and or Honda :

As per the Honda web site:

"Honda Genuine Accessories are designed specifically for your Honda vehicle and have the same quality and durability that you’ve come to expect from Honda. They are covered by the same warranty terms as your vehicle and can be financed into your vehicle purchase when you use Honda Financial Services."

Link
Honda Genuine Accessories and Gear - Honda Powersports

I would revisit this issue (if 6 months is the problem and your under the one year limit) with the dealer and or Honda :

As per the Honda web site:

"Honda Genuine Accessories are designed specifically for your Honda vehicle and have the same quality and durability that you’ve come to expect from Honda. They are covered by the same warranty terms as your vehicle and can be financed into your vehicle purchase when you use Honda Financial Services."

Link
Honda Genuine Accessories and Gear - Honda Powersports

Thanks, will do.

I think heated grips are so overrated,,, especially for long trips,,I too have the Honda grips and after about an hour my hands start to feel cold ,,I now much prefer to wear my heated gloves without switching on my grips .,infact for some reason I find them uncomfortable ,they just make my hands feel weird..Is it just me????

I think heated grips are so overrated,,, especially for long trips,,I too have the Honda grips and after about an hour my hands start to feel cold ,,I now much prefer to wear my heated gloves without switching on my grips .,infact for some reason I find them uncomfortable ,they just make my hands feel weird..Is it just me????

I know this comment could start a debate because I've said it before. In my opinion the heated grips are only good for temps above 40. It isn't the inside of my hands that get cold when riding in the winter. It is the outside (top of hand) that does. Grips don't do anything for that portion of the hand therefore I prefer heated gloves.

I went out and spent the big money on the Honda OEM and although I don't think it was a waste I do think I could do without. I've used my heated grips less than ten times since February.

I prefer heated gloves instead. Many others will say difgferent.

No argument on relative comfort of heated gloves. Heated grips,if working ;), are convenient any time any where. Just hit the button and they are on no wires. No batteries.

I have often used mine in summer when it rains and my gloves get wet and cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totally disagree.......really depends where you live and how late or early in the season you ride .......every (road) bike I have owned in the last 10 years has had some brand of heated grips.
Both systems have their merit and we have discussed this at length but .........If it is cool for the morning commute heated glove are a hassle, but still want heat to take the edge off, but do not want carry two sets of gloves or deal with the cords etc. and the batteries glove version is a total non starter for me.

Like Fuzzy said, heated grips are always there. I'm heading to Ontario tomorrow for a 9 day trip. I don't know what the weather will be. I'll take one pair of gloves and I'm set. The heated grips are there if I need them, or no hassle if I don't.

BTW, my Oxford heated grips were $50 new, free shipping. :)

Last edited:
Totally disagree.......really depends where you live and how late or early in the season you ride .......every (road) bike I have owned in the last 10 years has had some brand of heated grips.
Both systems have their merit and we have discussed this at length but .........If it is cool for the morning commute heated glove are a hassle, but still want heat to take the edge off, but do not want carry two sets of gloves or deal with the cords etc. and the batteries glove version is a total non starter for me.

We all have our own opinions and expectations and I don't regret the purchase of the heated grips but "For Me" the use of battery operated gloves was much more useful than the heated grips. Granted I am talking about my riding this winter in temps of 20F-40F. I only had to charge them once maybe twice a week. It really was not that bad although the battery operated don't get as hot as the wired.

I completely agree with what you said about your riding season. Luckily I live in a state where I can ride year round.

It's one of those situations where it is better to have and not need that to need and not have.

So frustrated day 2 of a 7 day trip to Gaspee and over to Quebec City. Today was chilly and wet so of course turned the grips on and no joy. (Indicator works) then about 15minites later we stop and I mess with them some and we takeoff, I look down and the switch has fallen off!!! Luckily I noticed quickly and found the switch,,, it's all glued together ... Still no heat... Biggest peeve is this just got out of the dealership! We will trouble shoot tonight/tomorrow

Back