• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Power up: new electrical toy (with photos)

TXBootScoot

Reaction score
Visit site
You might have seen my last post about the air filter change and the drama around it - here. What I didn’t say in that thread was anything about my other project… that included taking off many more panels in order to get to the area I need to run wires.

In case anyone is looking for how to take the front plastics off a 21-new model, this video from Madstad was great! Really helpful.

Anyway, on to the project. Up until this month, I’ve just hard everything hard wired to the battery. I know, not great, but as long as I take the GPS off the cradle, switch the light switch to the aux lights off on the handlebars, etc. it has worked. With that said, I wanted to add heated gear wire, iPhone charger/USB, and soon some heated grips… and I didn’t want to come out to a dead bike. Therefore a keyed on option is necessary.
Enter the custom built Tim Poweroo 2000. Ok, well, that name is pending, but my buddy Tim Masterson built a couple of these. The first is on his GS and this one was on his Janus:

6E3506C1-DE0C-4EBD-8DB8-5F49807EC49D.jpeg

How it works. It is hardwired to the battery. It also has a relay spliced into a keyed on wire in the harness under the left panels. Then, everything gets direct wired here and doesn’t look so messy all in the battery area.

Additionally, if the fuse is in the middle and left plugs, it’s always hot. If the fuse is in middle and right, it’s keyed on. That way, I can leave the cord to charge a phone always on… or to use a small air compressor regardless of the bike being on, etc. switching them is also easy—just move the fuse. Boom!

And since I mounted on my crash bar, it’s always right there.

3FB8EF56-18E9-45DF-89D0-234B0BAB47F3.jpeg

Already had to use it… because apparently math is hard when it comes to amp pulls and fuse size. Works great!

Where did Tim Masterson get the idea? This power distribution device looks remarkably similar, if not identical to, the Fuzeblock FZ-1, which I already have installed in the trunk’s hidden pocket of my Goldwing. Link to the product is below. Or, did Tim just build a box to hold an FZ-1?

On a previous 2012 NC I owned, the FZ-1 fit nicely hidden inside the left fairing fake duct.

I think it is an FZ-1. I think his design is more so the waterproof case + cable protector mounted on the outside. Really happy with it so far.

Back