• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Honda Heated Grip Problem

Fuzzy

Reaction score
Visit site
My heated griops have quit. The indicator on the left grip comes on but they don't get hot. If the fuse is blown does the indicator bypass the fuse making me think they should be working.

I'll stop on way home tonight to buy a fuse. I understand it is the round inline glass type (not the blade type used elsewhere on the bike) and 7.5 amp. If wrong someone correct me before I buy the wrong one and have to make another trip. It is raining outside so not really wanting to take the plastics off and see in the parking lot at work.

Is the indicator not in the same circuit? Why does it have power but the grips do not?

Depends on the wiring and control set up. Switch could go to a relay for actual voltage to grips and the fuse after the relay for example. Either way just asking before I dig into it after the rain stops.

Hopefully someone smarter than me speaks up. Here was my thinking. I troubleshoot electrical issue a lot here at work. Several things in the cab have a relay and fuse. When the fuse blowes the entire circuit is dead. So I guess what I'm saying is if the fuse blew and everything is on that circuit your switch would have no power. On the otherhand if your relay is bad it may be allowing enough power to illuminate a light but not heat the grips.

I could definitely be wrong. Just guessing out loud.

Break in the rain so I took a look. Not behind plastic but beside steering column in a place I can't get my hands and wire tied to the frame as per the install instructions.

Heated Grip Drawing.jpg

I could cut the wire tie but am afraid I wouldn't be able to get it back on with the access available with plastic panels in place. Pretty lousy design in my view to locate a fuse like this. To get the plastic off for good access from the side is the job that starts at the back of the bike going forward. If I do take the plastic off I will reroute at least the fuse to be more accessable and the more reliable blade type.

Still would like to hear if the fuse blown allows the indicator on grip to work as if not then this is a warranty issue to let the dealer mess with. My year isn't up until July and a dealer installed the grips.

Break in the rain so I took a look. Not behind plastic but beside steering column in a place I can't get my hands and wire tied to the frame as per the install instructions.

View attachment 14474

I could cut the wire tie but am afraid I wouldn't be able to get it back on with the access available with plastic panels in place. Pretty lousy design in my view to locate a fuse like this. To get the plastic off for good access from the side is the job that starts at the back of the bike going forward. If I do take the plastic off I will reroute at least the fuse to be more accessable and the more reliable blade type.

Still would like to hear if the fuse blown allows the indicator on grip to work as if not then this is a warranty issue to let the dealer mess with. My year isn't up until July and a dealer installed the grips..

Glad to see this is under warranty. Take it to the dealer. It can be tested without pulling the draw ties. Any Honda accessory installed by the dealership is under warranty by Honda for one year. Lots of folks do not realize that if the Honda accessory is not installed by a Honda dealership, it has no warranty.
However, it does not take a Honda dealer very long to figure out how to get around the great Honda rules.

smileyelderly.jpg

Last edited:
Is the indicator not in the same circuit? Why does it have power but the grips do not?

Yes it... I can say that with certainty, being I'm an Electronic Engineer. If the indicator light is "ON", we're getting power to the control unit.

1. There are 3 wires coming out of the left grip. Check all those for connection.
2. There are a total of 4 connections for the heating elements in the grips. 2 of them are connecting the 2 grips together in series in front of the steering head somewhere. Check these points and the other 2 ends, as they are the electrical connections for heating elements.

If there's a "Break" anywhere this circuit, the grips will not get "Warm", as "No Current Is Flowing" through them.

Sometimes "Stress" at the crimp points does occur and the wire "Breaks" underneath the insulation, which is “Invisible”. This is also a possibility, if you are unable to find anything with a "Visual Inspection".

I seem to recall that if the battery is under too much load from other devices or doesn't have sufficient charge in it then the grips cut out.

It may be worth checking the condition of your battery.

Have you a centre stand fitted to the bike? It is not unknown that the action of putting the bike on the centre stand while holding the left handlebar causes the heated grip circuit to fail as you twist the grip (even slightly).

I have the same issue as the op, I check the cable and the harnes I could not find the problem. I called Honda but its out warranty.

I have the same issue as the op, I check the cable and the harnes I could not find the problem. I called Honda but its out warranty.

Thanks for this reply. Since I am still under warranty I will let dealer deal with it. May be a month or more before I can get it to dealer but I have 3 months warranty left.

Bugger, sorry to hear of the problems, guys! :(

Keep us up to date if/when the problem is found, eh?

:LBS nervously eyes his heated grips:

I have after market heated grips and have had no problems as yet. I have had them
for around 6 months. They wire directly into the battery.

I bought OEM grips because of controller problems of Oxford grips on previous bike. Go figure. At least I got good support from Twisted Throttle even though warranty had expired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 years and 134,000 miles on a cheap set of Dual Stars on the ST. They are so cheap I bought another pair for the NC.

Not personal but I've just heard too many stories like yours concerning the Honda grips.

8 years and 134,000 miles on a cheap set of Dual Stars on the ST. They are so cheap I bought another pair for the NC.

Not personal but I've just heard too many stories like yours concerning the Honda grips.

I've got about 7 years on my daily commuter with Dual Stars, and they are going strong :)

My BMW grips failed (of course, lol) but I hadn't heard of or thought to think the Honda ones would, so I splurged for them...

Back