• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Heresy

The 250's for the most part are only a 5 speed and most will get handlebar buzz at about 55-60 mph. I have several I use in class and the Yamaha Star and the Honda Rebel are the most bullet proof. My son had a V Star 250 (yamaha) and we changed the rear sprocket to give more speed. We picked up about 6 MPH is all we got before the buzz. See if she will sit on a 500 Vulcan, it's a great, small frame bike. But if she thought the S40 was too big, this probably won't work either. Best of luck

Pre Gen Kawasaki Ninja EX 250

I recently rode a pre gen Kawasaki Ninja Ex 250 (ninjette) for three years. Over the last year, I rode approximately 600 miles weekly. Every month rode from Boston to NYC and back for meetings.

Ergonomics would be nice for her. It is pretty low to the ground. The riding position is moderate (despite its Ninja name). The handle bars are still located in a position that makes counter steering natural. It is a blast in the turns and is really peppy (I found the Honda CBR 250 to be too light and underpowered - the honda is a thumper ... in contrast, the ninja is a twin ... plenty sufficient power and a really fun ride).

The handle bars do not buzz at high rpms, neither do the pegs or any other aspect of the bike. The bike is designed for high rpm riding and it is organic to ride in that way (like the NC is designed for lower rpms and short shifting, it is organic to ride the NC that way - when you listen to the bike and feel the engine it it tells you where to shift and it's no issue).

Its a six speed. The clutch and gears are really nice. The engine is bullet proof. I had a topbox on the ninjette and it still handled really well. The seat is fine. Also, the pregens (up to year 2007) are very inexpensive. There are decent low mileage pre gen ninjettes out there for $1,000. I prefer a pre gen rather a 2nd gen ... I prefer the gearing on the pregen. After the 2nd gen, the bikes moved up to 300 cc. I did not see that much difference between the 250cc and the 300 cc. I prefer the pre gens and they're an incredible deal.

I would still have the ninjette ... but I ride 600 miles weekly - ergonomically, the nc fits me a little bit better (I am 5"10", 33" inseam).

Just for perspective, I am in my mid 50s and have been riding for 30 years ... mainly sport bikes.

Good luck ... ride safe ... have fun.

Last edited:
I recently rode a pre gen Kawasaki Ninja Ex 250 (ninjette) for three years. Over the last year, I rode approximately 600 miles weekly. Every month rode from Boston to NYC and back for meetings.

Ergonomics would be nice for her. It is pretty low to the ground and she could flat foot it easy. The riding position is moderate (despite its Ninja name). The handle bars are still locating in a position that makes counter steering natural. It is a blast in the turns and is really peppy (I found the Honda CBR 250 to be too light and underpowered - the honda is a thumper ... in contrast, the ninja is a v twin ... plenty sufficient power and a really fun ride).

The handle bars do not buzz at high rpms, neither do the pegs or any other aspect of the bike. The bike is designed for high rpm riding and it is organic to ride in that way (like the NC is designed for lower rpms and short shifting, it is organic to ride the NC that way - when you listen to the bike and feel the engine it it tells you where to shift and it's no issue).

Its a six speed, don't worry. The clutch and gears are really nice. The engine is bullet proof. I had a topbox on the ninjette and it still handled really well. The seat is fine. Also, the pregens (up to year 2007) are very inexpensive. There are decent low mileage pre gen ninjettes out there for $1,000. I prefer a pre gen rather a 2nd gen ... I prefer the gearing on the pregen and the handling. After the 2nd gen, the bikes moved up to 300 cc. I did not see that much difference between the 250cc and the 300 cc. I prefer the pre gens and there an incredible deal.

I would still have the ninjette ... but I ride 600 miles weekly - ergonomically, the nc fits me a little bit better (I am 5"10", 33" inseam).

Just for perspective, I am in my mid 50s and have been riding for 30 years ... mainly sport bikes.

Nice report, much appreciated. I've been thinking about a 300 Ninja for bombing around the country roads near me. I may have to consider a pre gen. Like you say, there are many low mileage inexspensive bikes out there. I too come from sportbikes and larger v twins but the NC has provided such joy with its real world useable power that I have changed my philosophy re: bikes.

K

Ergonomics would be nice for her. It is pretty low to the ground and she could flat foot it easy. The riding position is moderate (despite its Ninja name). The handle bars are still locating in a position that makes counter steering natural. It is a blast in the turns and is really peppy (I found the Honda CBR 250 to be too light and underpowered - the honda is a thumper ... in contrast, the ninja is a v twin ... plenty sufficient power and a really fun ride).

Its a six speed, don't worry. The clutch and gears are really nice. The engine is bullet proof. I had a topbox on the ninjette and it still handled really well. The seat is fine. Also, the pregens (up to year 2007) are very inexpensive. There are decent low mileage pre gen ninjettes out there for $1,000. I prefer a pre gen rather a 2nd gen ... I prefer the gearing on the pregen and the handling. After the 2nd gen, the bikes moved up to 300 cc. I did not see that much difference between the 250cc and the 300 cc. I prefer the pre gens and there an incredible deal.

I, too, rode a 2007 Ninja 250 for 3 years as a secondary toy bike prior to getting my NC700X. It's a fun bike for sure, but the NC handles better. Remember, that generation of Ninja 250 first came out in 1988. The design was quite old by 2007. BTW, the baby Ninja was a parallel twin, not a V twin.

On a side note, you will get good at cleaning carbs (most will need cleaning when you buy it) and adjusting valves (every 6000 miles) if you have a 1988-2007 Ninja 250. Many used two fiddies have the turn signals broken off and a rash on the fairing edges because people, possibly beginners, drop them with regularity. They do have a quirk with low speed handling where you tend to hit the steering lock earlier than expected.

The point of the thread is to suggest bikes for someone with a very short inseam, and the Ninja 250, with a seat height of 29.3 inches, is not the best choice. However, one could install a lowering kit and possibly make it work.

Last edited:
[...maybe a 400 Nighthawk?] There is no such animal currently. There was a 400 Hawk in the late-70s which became a 450 Hawk but it hasn't been made in eons.

The current Nighthawk is a 250 and fairly bulletproof. It uses the same engine as the Rebel but fitted into a standard chassis. As a former instructor, I can say without reservations that a 250 Nighthawk would be too tall for someone who is 4'10." Some brand of 250 scooter still seems like the best bet.

K

I, too, rode a 2007 Ninja 250 for 3 years as a secondary toy bike prior to getting my NC700X. It's a fun bike for sure, but the NC handles better. Remember, that generation of Ninja 250 first came out in 1988. The design was quite old by 2007. BTW, the baby Ninja was a parallel twin, not a V twin.

On a side note, you will get good at cleaning carbs (most will need cleaning when you buy it) and adjusting valves (every 6000 miles) if you have a 1988-2007 Ninja 250. Many used two fiddies have the turn signals broken off and a rash on the fairing edges because people, possibly beginners, drop them with regularity. They do have a quirk with low speed handling where you tend to hit the steering lock earlier than expected.

The point of the thread is to suggest bikes for someone with a very short inseam, and the Ninja 250, with a seat height of 29.3 inches, is not the best choice. However, one could install a lowering kit and possibly make it work.

correct, it's not a v twin ... oops. wow, it seemed low to the ground to me. make sure you listen to 670 ... 670 presented the seat height. never noticed the steering lock issue, very interesting (again, listen to 670) True about the valves; but there easy to adjust (screw types) and easy to access (so, I would not let that discourage you ... even if you're not a wrench (what do think 670?)) Also, the valve adjustment should be inexpensive enough at a shop, if you don't want to do them yourself. The two times i checked (at 6K miles and at 12k miles) the valves needed no significant adjustment. Another thing... the ex 250s hold their value well.

anyway, it was just an idea ... there are lots of other good alternatives. i thought i would throw it out there because some people are afraid of the 250s because they think they buzz or are underpowered or unbearable on the highway. They are really ok.

Of course, I love the NC more. But I thought about keeping the 250, lowering the bars, raising the pegs, stripping the glass and taking it to the track.

Last edited:
Have you looked at I Ride My Own ? I don't know the value of the articles but there are many focused on first time women riders and the bike they chose.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

DrDrubb-you didn't mention her inseam, that would be a starting point. Unfortunately, there are very few motorcycles on the market for the vertically challenged. The Honda Grom is a 125cc motorcycle and most riders are reporting a top end speed of approx. 60mph on the Honda Grom forum. Some of the posters on here didn't consider your original post of 'short legs'. 29" seat height is not for short legs if her inseam is shorter than that. KTM Dukes have tall seat heights even the KTM Duke 390 has a 31" seat height.
If she liked her old Hyosung 250, buy her one similar to that bike. The Harley Davidson 500 is 489lbs (wet) and approx. 26" seat height (laden-when on it). HD offer courses/classes and maybe she could take the class and see how she handles the bike during their course.

I get the impression a lot of people replying to this thread have not dealt with a short inseam rider. Low seat height is key to this. Many small bikes still have seats too tall. We even had to rule out the Honda 49cc Metropolitan scooter for my wife because the seat was too high. We got a Ruckus because the seat frame can be replaced with a lower one.

Many machines mentioned so far in the thread have seats way too tall. Suggestions need to take into account actual seat height, not just overall machine size. A Grom may be small, but I think it is out of the question for the short inseam rider, having a 29.7 inch seat height.

A KTM Duke 200 has a seat height of 32 inches and the 125 is 31.8 inches. That suggestion is just not gonna work. A CBR250 at 30.5 inch seat height; nope, not gonna happen. We need to be talking machines under 29 inches, down to as low as 25.

However, the machine does not necessarily need to be super small displacement to have a manageable seat height and weight. Also, rider skill can offset some height disadvantages, but only the rider can make that determination.

Last edited:
My middle daughter is looking at motorcycles and I am trying to help. She is only 4'10" with very short legs. She once had a Hyasung 250 cruiser and is looking at something like that. She is afraid of weight and power. I'm suggesting something like a Honda shadow rather than another 250. Any thoughts out there? Her mental picture is to accompany me on my weekend trips.

I will be quite honest with you, your daughter's height is going to be a limiting factor and what she can manage and handle.

My questions to you both are as followed:

1. What does she want to do with the bike?
2. What does she want to get out the bike?
3. What are her wants and desires for this bike?
4. What does she see as limiting factors?

Without having these questions answered and going simply by seat heights. I would recommend the Honda Shadow Phantom, 2016 Shadow Phantom Specifications - Honda Powersports.

Last edited:
549 pounds? That's a big chunk of machine.

From the first post of the thread: "She is afraid of weight and power".

Well, like you said earlier. "Seat height and displacement are not directly proportional."

The Shadow I recommended has the low seat height, however over 500 lbs in weight. There has to be compromise somewhere on this, now does there?

I am not a person to discourage anyone from riding. I prefer to encourage these individuals than anything else. I try to help these people to find a solution.

It all boils down to the rider's comfort level. Right now a group of us are trying to decide on a motorcycle for a young woman. I think that she should have some say in the matter. She asked her father for help and he asked us for suggestions.

Forgive me for being blunt. - The best thing is to have her sit on these bikes and have her decide if she can handle any of them.

Right now a group of us are trying to decide on a motorcycle for a young woman. I think that she should have some say in the matter. She asked her father for help and he asked us for suggestions.

We aren't deciding anything for the woman. The request was for suggestions within the guidelines given in the first post. The rider has very short legs, and is afraid of weight and power.

Well, like you said earlier. "Seat height and displacement are not directly proportional."

You put that in quote marks as if you were quoting me. I did not say that. I said, "the machine does not necessarily need to be super small displacement to have a manageable seat height and weight."

Last edited:
Still good input. I have had her sit on bikes, just trying to narrow the field. I'd hoped to get her on a standard, but I think that is impossible. She sat on a S40 suzuki...that was about the right size...I think when she hears 500 cc's she is afraid that it might be too powerful. I like the idea of having her ride the Harley 500 in a training course. My local honda dealer keeps a pretty good stock of used cruisers. That will give us a lot of time to do the sitting test. She's be home for a week during Christmas. I hope we can go to the dealer for a little exploration.

She really wants to take trips with me, so we need to get something that will handle, at a minimum, secondary road speeds and have a little ability to carry gear.

I will not pick the bike for her, just trying to help her narrow the search.

Still good input. I have had her sit on bikes, just trying to narrow the field. I'd hoped to get her on a standard, but I think that is impossible. She sat on a S40 suzuki...that was about the right size...I think when she hears 500 cc's she is afraid that it might be too powerful. I like the idea of having her ride the Harley 500 in a training course. My local honda dealer keeps a pretty good stock of used cruisers. That will give us a lot of time to do the sitting test. She's be home for a week during Christmas. I hope we can go to the dealer for a little exploration.

She really wants to take trips with me, so we need to get something that will handle, at a minimum, secondary road speeds and have a little ability to carry gear.

I will not pick the bike for her, just trying to help her narrow the search.

That is good to hear. Finding the right bike can be a hard thing to do and intimating at times.

I wish I had someone to help me in those matters when I started riding. I ended up buying what I could afford, not what I really wanted in those early years. ;)

Back