• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Hello from Chilliwack

ChilliRider

Reaction score
Visit site
I was on a test ride yesterday on a NC750x and I have come to this forum for more info. I have owned a couple of DL 650s (current ride is an '09 set up just the way I wanted it) and KLR 650s. Most of my riding these days is commuting and day rides on pavement vs touring and off road, and the NC 750 is a bike I thought was worth investigating after seeing it at a bike show.

From the test ride: wow the 750 is well-mannered at low speed and I really notice the lower centre of gravity vs my Vstrom. The low revving engine is an adjustment but by the end of a half hour ride I had gotten used to it. The 750 is quick but not fast, and that is ok with me. I am very tempted... The best thing about my Vstrom now is that it is paid for :).

Looking forward to reading the posts and particularly hearing from folks who have moved to the 750 from a similar bike to mine.

Cheers!

Hello from Kansas City. I have a 70's album by the band Chilliwack. But I understand they were from Vancouver. I guess they just liked the name.

Well Chilliwack is just down the Fraser Valley from Vancouver and I think there was some kind of connection in the band. Very cool to hear that there is a Chilliwack album in KC!

Cheers,
Doug

I live in the kootenays and recently purchased the nc750. Welcome to another Canadian which with the nc750 has some issues. Like you I was impressed with the low center of gravity and geometry that certainly gives the bike a nice feel in the corners. If I had a chance to do it over I would take a close look at what else is out there.

The nc may turn out to be a good platform but it needs a fair amount of work from stock. First the tires, if the one your looking at has dunlops on it they won't last 3000km. I changed mine at 2500 and they were done. This was a few weeks after purchase. In the US and Europe Honda provided some help for owners as this is a known issue but not Honda Canada so add $600 to the purchase price for new tires. Next the suspension is really bad. You can fix it but cost will be around $1500. You can ride with the stock suspension but it`s harsh.

You are also looking at another $2000 to get some decent coverage from the fenders, a reasonable windscreen, rad guard, crash bars, descent lights and other things to make it yours.

Also depending on your size you should spend some time on this forum researching the issues taller riders have had trying to make this bike comfortable. I`m on of those tall guys that has dropped the pegs, raised the bars, replaced the seat trying to make it comfortable.

So maybe it will turn out to be a good ride, I will keep mine for the summer to give it a chance but the bike has a number of issues that should be considered.
Don`t mean to sound negative but I know I would have appreciated a candid review when I was shopping for mine. Cheers

Hi Summitx, did you test ride the 750 before you purchased? I would love to have had more than the half-hour on it that I did, but I came away impressed. I noticed the Pirelli tires and didn't know about the prior issues with the Dunlops... so Honda seems to have addressed that one (I have experience with the Pirelli Scorpian Trails and they are great tires in the wet/road/limited trail riding). I am 5-10 and I have to say the 750 fits my frame more comfortably than my vstrom (which I have set up to my tastes).

The add-ons are something to think about for sure. I have heated grips, MadStad bracket, RAM mount for my GPS, Pellican sides cases and a GIVI top box on my vstrom. The Frunk is nice (but I tried to fit my current helmet in my test ride and it didn't fit--mind you I didn't take everything out of it either) but I will need some kind of side case for a computer that often makes the trip with me to work. My current ride was fully paid for a long time ago so it has that going for it as well :).

I have seen an "Adventure" package for the 750 somewhere that has heated grips, cases and some other farkles (fog lights I think) but haven't seen it priced locally. Maybe a bike show promotion?

Good advice though and thanks... you should take a look at the vstrom :).

Cheers.

I have never ridden a vstrom so I can't give you a comparison in that manner. I grew up on CBR's. I write only because I use this bike to commute daily in the Little Rock Arkansas area. Is this my favorite bike of all time? Heck no. Is it a great bike for commuting, heck yes. The lack of power has bothered me from day 1 and two years later I'm not over that but aside from that this bike is great for getting around on heavily congested city streets. I have the OEM luggage which provides plenty of storage. Some are able ot put their laptops in the saddle bags (tiny screens) but I am not. Mine goes in the trunk. I use the left saddle bag for all my emergency items (first aid, tire repiar, chain lube, and so on). I use the right saddle bag for my suit pants. The jacket can fit too but I usually put it and my helment in the trunk after removing my backpack and laptop. I use the frunk as a junk drawer. LOL

If you plan to primarily commute the only things I would be worried about is a better windscreen and a better seat. As was mentioned, if you have the Dunlops you'll be changing them soon. Little things like a phone/GPS mount, center stand, handguards, and heated grips are things you can get as needed but I would do the seat and windscreen immedaitely. That me.

The suspension is fine for commuting unless you have worse roads that what we have here in the Little Rock area. If you do, I'm sorry because ours are terrible.

You rode the bike for 30 minutes. If you did not fall in love with it and just had to replace your vstrom maybe you should look elsewhere or keep the other bike. I did not allow myself to test ride the bike. People may call me dumb but I was trading from a litre bike to this. I was worried if I test rode it I may not make the purchase but I really needed a commuting bike and could not have two bikes at the time.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:
You rode the bike for 30 minutes. If you did not fall in love with it and just had to replace your vstrom maybe you should look elsewhere or keep the other bike. I did not allow myself to test ride the bike. People may call me dumb but I was trading from a litre bike to this. I was worried if I test rode it I may not make the purchase but I really needed a commuting bike and could not have two bikes at the time.

Just my two cents.

Falling in love and "putting a ring on it" are two separate processes lol! And if they had a sales rep there as I came off the bike we would have had a serious conversation right then! I really do like the NC750 but this time of year is not the best for making deals... I may wait to the fall for the "clear out"/dealer inventory reduction deals--maybe get a discount off of some of the essential farkles. I am also thinking I might be able to keep my Pellican side cases and just get the mounting hardware--that would save some dough and won't affect the trade-in value much (or at least I will try to work it both ways and see what makes sense).

Roads here? Well the ones on my test ride were "typical" which means good not great. I did notice the suspension was not as refined (I would say) as the 'strom but it fell within the range of acceptability. By the way, I much prefer riding in Washington State where the engineers know how to properly camber a curve--we have way too many here that slope the wrong way (need to be alert for that when riding here in BC). Some of the best engineered highway I have ever been on is Hwy 101 from Washington State to Oregon, built in the 1930s under the WPA I believe. Just don't ride it on a holiday weekend :).

Thanks for the reply!
Doug

Last edited:
Yes I test road the bike before I bought but find you need a 1000km to really get a feel for a bike. Sounds like you have enough background in bikes to make an informed decision. I'm not impressed with the build quality or Honda Canada. Last Honda I'll every buy. Good luck with it. This week looks like good wx for biking all across southern bc.

Vstrom is up for sale...

I was on the West Coast Ride for Life today (a fund-raising ride here for Prostate Cancer) and while in the middle of all of those Harleys and Gold Wings made up my mind to put my vstrom up for sale. If I can get anything close to what I want for it I will be making my best deal on a 750x before the riding season is done!

Now I have REALLY something to think about--I test rode a 2015 Suzuki Vstrom DL650XA (with the wire wheels) today at my local dealer. This bike has handling characteristics very similar to the 750x. Here is my comparison of the two bikes and where I think each bike has an "edge":

750x: lower center of gravity; FRUNK; price are all pluses.
2015 DL 650xa: outstanding handling and throttle response; stock wind screen provides great protection (for me).

Either bike will need luggage big enough to accommodate a laptop (no backpacks for me). The 750x needs a different windscreen.

After my bike sells it just may come down to which bike I can get the best deal on, it really is that close between the two. I was surprised at the difference in handling of the 2015 vs my '09 vstrom, even though I rode a "new" '12 on a bike trip in Europe. The changes to the ergonomics to allow the knees to be closer together and really helps the handling of the bike at low speed (it feels less "top heavy" than my bike).

Hmm....

In the realms of "problems to have" this must be at least a pretty good one, lol :D

Best wishes which ever one you decide on! :cool:

The vstrom sounds like the winner to me. If I was in your shoes (wish) I'd also try to ride the 650 kawai versys .

Hi summitx, my wife has a '11 Versys 650 which I have taken out for a spin on occasion, but I haven't been on a new one. Her bike has a stock windscreen and I prefer my '09 vstrom to her bike. For my own preferences I have the bikes in this order:
2015 Vstrom just ahead of the 750x; both better than my '09 vstrom; which is better than my wife's '11 Versys.

The key to negotiating a good deal is to have a "next best alternative" that you would be fully happy with and truly the 750x or new vstrom would be great as my 'next bike'.

Cheers!

Back