• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Have you ever fainted or gone into shock over minor happenings?

The last time I almost passed out was in 2003. I'd tell the story but it is a little graphic. You can guess where I was based off the year. I'd never had that happen to me before. I suddleny got real hot, my eyes went out of focus, and flet my knees begin to weaken. If it weren't for the fact I had my arm craddled under someones neck I would have went down for sure. An attendant at the field hospital slid a chair under my butt so I could stay where I was. I was pretty embarrassed though. Here is this hardcore solider and he almost faints but you body doesn't care how tough you think you are. Anxiety, fear, and pain can can take over you body.

Sounds like the guy was afraid of the sight of blood, any amount of blood will do it. While I was in the Air Force (med lab tech) I was drawing blood from a Major who was getting a physical for his flight status. He fainted when he saw the blood in the tube (he was a very easy draw-huge veins), had to report it to the flight surgeon-the Major lost his flight status for 6 months.
My own horse story:
My wife owns 12 horses (mostly yard ornaments)-most stupidest animal on the planet-the smartest horse is still dumber than the dumbest dog. I was training one of her horses on a very warm March day (70+ F), swarm of yellow jackets swarmed him, he kicked out with both feet, I was able to dodge one of the hoofs but one of them caught me on the clavicle, knocked me down (1100 lb horse), and then trampled me. I got up, dusted myself off, couldn't raise my right arm; went and put the horse in his stall. Wife got home, took me to the hospital-clavicle broke in more than 3 places (wanted to pin it, hell no, doctors don't cut on me unless life/death) and two ribs broke (at the spine, ouch). Got home, checked my riding helmet (wear helmet when I work/train the horses), helmet was cracked in 2 places-saved my head. 7 weeks later, did my first long distance motorcycle ride (1200 miles over 3 days)-rode to Helen Georgia from Louisville Ky, spent the weekend, and rode back.

Back to OP, nope, never have passed out from anything, ever.

My wife owns 12 horses (mostly yard ornaments)-most stupidest animal on the planet-the smartest horse is still dumber than the dumbest dog.

My in laws had a horse... it too was a lawn ornament (too old to be good for anything else) and generally mean (the thing would bite people, and try to step on dogs.)

I'll stick with the NC, half the weight and 50 times the horsepower.

As a nurse for well over 25 years I can tell you lots of stories related to " vasovagal response " leading to syncope or near syncope ( passing out ) We pull large lines from patients bodies routinely which triggers this. It's an old reflex from the primitive part of our brain left over from the days when a saber tooth tiger tore your arm off your heart rate lowers (20-30's) blood pressure lowers there-by giving you a chance to clot off before you bleed to death. When we pull these big lines (balloon pump, heart cath sheaths) someone is always standing by with a quick shot of atropine and some fluids and they are back to normal lickity split. In the real world just lay them down with feet elevated and wait it out, most of the time they are going to puke so be ready!

There you go again using those big words - " vasovagal response " leading to syncope. You expect us poor old cowboys to understand a single word you just say? Education sure can ruin a fellow !7.jpg

SmileyOhMyGod.jpg

00.jpg

There you go again using those big words - " vasovagal response " leading to syncope. You expect us poor old cowboys to understand a single word you just say? Education sure can ruin a fellow !View attachment 15418

View attachment 15419

View attachment 15420

Syncopy is a fun word to use with your friends (it's just fun to say). It's actually a music term for something unexpected happening in a song, though the cardiologist stole it and use it to mean essentially the same thing only the beat they are talking about is the lub/dub rhythm of your heart.

Did tech support for sales reps at a medical device company for a while, and it is one of the more interesting things I learned. Also learned that sales reps will use their cell phones in side an O.R. and that some times patients don't take well to the anesthesia and start screaming during a surgery. Very distracting when you are trying to help them get their email.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Syncope (not syncopy) is fainting/passing out, Vasovagal response (google, wiki explains it good) is autonomic, automatic, you have no control ! LOL thats why it's so funny!

I'm similar to that guy who just passed out on your shop floor.

Years ago, I volunteered at an event as a cook, I tried to catch a falling butchers knife (I know, stupid!) sliced my middle finger pretty good. I folded the skin over and held it their and asked for help, call an ambulance. I fainted about a minute afterward. I didn't loose to much blood, maybe 1/2 oz at most. But it was the rapid blood loss that got me.

About a year later, my current company had a blood drive. I gave a pint of blood. All was fine, sat in the "recovery" section drinking water and gatorade, eating chips. Then black out. I come to with 4 nurses around me with cooling bags. I'm made to lay down and drink water as fast as I can. Again. blood loss.

My doctor said My body just can't handle even a little bit of blood loss. It sends a shock to my system and triggers fainting. I've gotten cuts and scrapes before, but I can't donate blood anymore. I've donated about 4 gallons in my lifetime, I was on a quarter donation system for years. But my body can't handle the loss of blood anymore, built up a resistance or something. I wish I could donate more blood, but I've done what I can.

Last edited:
My in laws had a horse... it too was a lawn ornament (too old to be good for anything else) and generally mean (the thing would bite people, and try to step on dogs.)

I'll stick with the NC, half the weight and 50 times the horsepower.
Very easy to cure a horse from biting, if you get bit, within 3 seconds, turn and hit the horse square on the tip of the nose with your fist as hard as you can (don't worry, you really are not going to hurt the horse for all you animal lovers out there-watch horses in a field, they are always kicking each other and 99.999999% of the time the kicked horse is not hurt, and there is no human on earth which can hit as hard as a full size horse can kick). You have to do it within 3 seconds or the horse will not relate the hit to the bite. I have been bit twice (one each by a different horse) and did this nose hit and they have never wanted to bite anyone again (learned this tip from a well known horse trainer-John Lyons). My wife has a 32 year old Arab which is still going strong, still beats up our mustang stallions who are half his age and she still rides him weekly.

I was in a church choir when I was in kid. It was a hot day and I guess the kid next to me was nervous. He fainted during a song and did a face plant right into the front pew. It was a slow motion T-I-M-B-E-R. Everybody saw it coming but nobody reacted to catch him. He was rewarded with a black eye and bruised forehead.

Fainting from heat is a whole other issue. When I went in the Navy at the end of June many moons ago, it happend to be a hot summer. Coming from Louisiana working in the fields I was used to it, but folks from up north weren't. Lots of them fell out standing at attention in the hot sun. Worst was a guy in the formation to the left of mine. We were at parade rest and the guy who passed out ripped his arm open on the adjacent fellow's bayonet. They kept medics at the parade field and some days they were pretty busy.

The last two cooments remind me of anothe thing that happened in the military. I don't know if the church kid in the choir was standing but locking your knees while standing for long periods of time can cause you to pass out. Seen it happen many times while in military parade. The 1SG stands in the back of the formation and when someone would go down he would walk threw the row, grab the passed out soldier, and drag him backwards behind the formation.

The last two cooments remind me of anothe thing that happened in the military. I don't know if the church kid in the choir was standing but locking your knees while standing for long periods of time can cause you to pass out. Seen it happen many times while in military parade. The 1SG stands in the back of the formation and when someone would go down he would walk threw the row, grab the passed out soldier, and drag him backwards behind the formation.
We were constantly warned against locking knees too.

All that marching practice really came in handy on a ship too.

Back