• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Has anyone plastidipped the foot rest hanger?

Jelly

Reaction score
Visit site
I refer to this bit of the bike.

f5ac6366a54e0fba6c572f029898a130_zps5a343518.jpg

I'd like to spray this bit black, if it's been done before, how did it stand up to rubbing from your boots?

I've never used plastidip but it looks quite resilient, is it?

I'd also like to spray the brake pedal too.

I usually use Rustoleum FlexDip instead of PlastiDip. I've found that it seems to apply better. I have not done that section of the bike, but have used it on other parts. As far as your brake lever goes, I would think that anything you apply there would wear off in a fairly short period, due to the grit on the bottom of your riding boots abrading it. Just my opinion. Maybe someone else has done it with success.

I don't think Plasti-Dip would stand up to rubbing from the boots.

I've dipped the frunk twice now and it peels up every time on the edges where my knees rub against it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I thought about doing that part after I did the front fender,I don't think it would hold up to the rubbing of your foot or leg .best part about plastic dip is that if it don't work just take it off.

Plasti dip will peel off in places where something rubs against it. But, having said that, there could be a few ideas to try.

After a few good base coats (the more the better I think) you can then use any ordinary spray on clear coat on top.(again, the more coats the better) Clear coat is much tougher than flat paint or plain Plasti dip. I wouldn't recommend the clear sold by Plasti dip, it doesn't seem to be very sturdy from what I've read. People have used ordinary clear coat with good success though. Since it's applied on top, the base Plasti dip can still be removed if wanted like normal.

Another thing I would try, is to paint what ever you want with the Plasti dip, and use it for awhile. See where the spots are that get rubbed off or contacted with any frequency. Then cover those spots if possible, with something like an adhesive sticker or "shield". ie: a peel and stick panel of clear (or black I guess) vinyl commonly used to protect tanks or frame rails from scratches.

The stuff I bought was from my local Honda dealer and came in a flat cardboard packet with several pieces of thick clear sheets that you cut yourself to whatever shape wanted. I think it was some kind of motorcross bike frame guard against boots hitting the frame and scraping off paint.

You could put the stuff in only the small spots that your boots hit, with the Plasti dip either beneath or on top of. There may be a slight visible line where the stuff is, or a different surface texture/albedo factor, but that is something for you to decide if it offends thy sensibilities, lol.

I also have some stuff I'ved used for years, to stop tank bags from scratching my tanks. It's commonly called "MacTac" over here, but I don't know if that is a universally known thing. It's a self adhesive thick vinyl-like stuff that is usually put on the inside of kitchen drawer bottoms or cupboards. The stuff I have is black, and quite tough. It is meant to be easily removed, so it doesn't stick to compound curves very well though. It's best on flat planes or in strips.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys, plastidip is out then!

The main reason for colouring this black is for aesthetics really, apart from the can (which I'll replace in time) it's the only bit of chrome/silver on the bike, and I like black. :cool:

I wonder if powdercoating would be 'rub free'?

I'm even gonna spray the dog bones black too, alas, there is nothing I can do about the fork stanchions. :(

Thanks for the info guys, plastidip is out then!

The main reason for colouring this black is for aesthetics really, apart from the can (which I'll replace in time) it's the only bit of chrome/silver on the bike, and I like black. :cool:

I wonder if powdercoating would be 'rub free'?

I'm even gonna spray the dog bones black too, alas, there is nothing I can do about the fork stanchions. :(

If applied properly, powdercoat is one of the tougher coverings, but it, too, is still subject to being abraded. Usually frames are epoxy coated or powder coated, both very tough, but they sell the vinyl stuff to prevent the paint from being worn off.

If I had the time and money, I would go for the powder coating as the best route myself, and then figure a way to protect the specific rub spots. Maybe a carbon fibre wear shield. (easy enough to do) :D

They is also that Vinyl Wrap stuff, but I would imagine it really sucking to apply very well on the footrest hanger shapes.

Fork stanchions: Gators maybe? They're not for everyone aesthetically, though.

Cheers LBS, some good points there.

Gaitors eh? Not a bad idea me thinks, for the future anyway.

My mid term plan is to have the entire bike black, but with flouro Orange powder coated wheels.

Maybe a few years after that, once I'm bored of the black, keep the Orange wheels and have the Repsol livery added to the bike.

Cheers LBS, some good points there.

Gaitors eh? Not a bad idea me thinks, for the future anyway.

My mid term plan is to have the entire bike black, but with flouro Orange powder coated wheels.

Maybe a few years after that, once I'm bored of the black, keep the Orange wheels and have the Repsol livery added to the bike.

oops! lol ya I meant gaiters :eek: :D not:

florida_gators-786.jpg

I dare say a couple gators wrapped around your forks would be more trouble than they were worth hee hee

Back