• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Greetings from the Big Easy!

BigBill

Reaction score
Visit site
Greetings!

I'm Bill in New Orleans...been looking into the NC700X as one of my options for a commuter bike.

Whatever I end up with will be my first bike since I was a teenager 30+ years ago.

I really like the idea of using the DCT for an intro back to riding, but I'm not sure if the NC will provide enough wind protection for my liking (I have always wanted a GoldWing).

I look forward to learning more about this bike, and getting back on two wheels.

Hi Bill welcome to the forum from the UK. You will find lots of good information on here. If it's any help I use my NC as a commuter bike for a 37 mile trip each way to/from work. At 5' 9" I find the Honda touring screen works well for me however there are plenty of details of alternative screens and other extras on this forum

Hello Bill, welcome to the den.
It is a GREAT bike, don't take my word for it, read more here.
Of course we are all biased, or paid secretly by Honda.
:D

Hello Bill from South Wales.

Like you, I hadn't ridden for 30-odd years. Always wanted a bike and settled on an NC700X in August. Mine is an expensive toy and not used as a necessity so I can choose when or when not to ride it, but I am thoroughly impressed with it. A great fun ride, economical and exciting. I hope, if you get one, that you enjoy it as much as I have.

Al@n

I'd get the NC and experiment with windscreens/deflectors/etc to get back into the hobby... a Goldwing would be a whole lotta bike to jump on after a 30 year hiatus...

Welcome, and good luck!

trey

The GoldWing I looked at was nice for an '86 but it seemed really cramped for my legs, (6'3" - 34" inseam) and the flat 4/6 engines make it almost impossible if not impractical to install forward controls.
So far only the NT700V and NC700X have a good riding position for me, though I plan to look at a couple of cruisers that have more leg room, I honestly don't think I will like the lower seat position, nor the poor MPGs.

The tricky part is going to be finding an NC700X to buy...they sell fast.

Greetings!

I'm Bill in New Orleans...been looking into the NC700X as one of my options for a commuter bike.

Whatever I end up with will be my first bike since I was a teenager 30+ years ago.

I really like the idea of using the DCT for an intro back to riding, but I'm not sure if the NC will provide enough wind protection for my liking (I have always wanted a GoldWing).

I look forward to learning more about this bike, and getting back on two wheels.

Welcome to the club!

Hi Bill, The NCX's wind protection is non existent compared to the Goldwing. I have an 85 GL1200 and if I moving 55 mph or faster, I can avoid getting wet during a rain. (except my forearms and toe of my boots.)
In the heat of summer I put on a short vented windshield to give me some air. It can get frigging hot with no air hitting you while riding a GL1200.
With the NCX, you get so much air its not funny. That postage stamp they call a shield doesn't do very much for wind or rain protection.
Cal Sci and other companies have taken care of the top end though.
beemerphile has some home made lowers that might take care of the legs.

The GoldWing I looked at was nice for an '86 but it seemed really cramped for my legs, (6'3" - 34" inseam) and the flat 4/6 engines make it almost impossible if not impractical to install forward controls.
So far only the NT700V and NC700X have a good riding position for me, though I plan to look at a couple of cruisers that have more leg room, I honestly don't think I will like the lower seat position, nor the poor MPGs.
The tricky part is going to be finding an NC700X to buy...they sell fast.

I like Goldwings and I find the 1100 and 1200 are more comfortable for me than the six cylinders. The extra two cylinders on the 1500 and 1800 just didn't give me enough leg room.
I think the first wings were better for me. The flat seat is easier to slide back on.
My inseam is also 34'' and I'm a little cramped on both the NCX and the GL1200, I ride on the passenger seat frequently.
There are better bikes out there for leg room, but I chose the NCX because it has a very low center of gravity, its a Honda, Awesome fuel mileage and a very low buy in.
I will sort out the leg room issues by raising the seat a little and lowering the pegs.(bemmerhile already has the pegs, the seat should be done soon.)

That being said, I am selling my GL1200 to a friend so I could fund the farkles for my NCX.
If I were going to have a passenger on very much, I would keep my GL around.
The NC will do passengers, but I would be in pain on a long ride.

I saw the lower wind deflectors he made, but missed the lowered pegs...I would almost want a lowered, mini-running board for my big feet, lol.

I going to look at a Pacific Coast this week too, I don't know how it will fit me but I've never actually sat on one so I have to to be sure.

The NT700V felt just about right for me, it was fairly comfortable and figured the NC700X would be similar, can anyone comment on the comparison?

I saw the lower wind deflectors he made, but missed the lowered pegs...I would almost want a lowered, mini-running board for my big feet, lol.

I going to look at a Pacific Coast this week too, I don't know how it will fit me but I've never actually sat on one so I have to to be sure.

The NT700V felt just about right for me, it was fairly comfortable and figured the NC700X would be similar, can anyone comment on the comparison?
I traded a NT700V or we call it a Deauville for my NC700X. The main reason was that after over 10 years of using Deauvilles (2 x 650 1 x 700) as my commuter bike I fancied a change both have there plus points the main ones which I have listed below. I hope this helps. If you have any further questions please feel free to PM me

NC + Points
1) Purchase price
2) Fuel consumption
3) better handling
40 Longer servicing intervals

Deauville + Points
1) shaft drive
2) Better weather protection
3) more comfortable seat
4) built in Panniers
5) Well tried and proven engine over big mileages

How does the seating position compare?

I'm a tall guy so I want as much distance between the seat and pegs as I can get.

Unfortunately I have a feeling the only thing that's going to work is a cruiser.

Big Bill, I am 6'5" and the seating is a little cramped. I am going to have the seat refoamed to add a little more tailbone cushion. I also changed the seat on my Goldwing to a Hartco Tall boy for the same reason. Other than that it is a great bike that I really enjoy for an open nimble platform.

I did sit on the NT and it was decent for me, nothing a new seat wouldn't improve easily, but I was wondering how the NC compares to the NT as far as leg room.

I did sit on the NT and it was decent for me, nothing a new seat wouldn't improve easily, but I was wondering how the NC compares to the NT as far as leg room.
Well baisically it would be the same thing in that the only way to tell if it suits you is to sit on one. I think maybe the NC has slightly more leg room. I found the Deauville seat by far the most comfortable of the two

Well baisically it would be the same thing in that the only way to tell if it suits you is to sit on one. I think maybe the NC has slightly more leg room. I found the Deauville seat by far the most comfortable of the two

I set on an NT a few weeks before I bought my NC. The NC seemed to have more leg room also, or maybe just the position.
The NT had and 5000 miles on it and I could have bought it for $5000, I'm glad I waited for the NC.

Back