• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Got a speeding ticket this am

I've noticed that parked CHP units use LIDAR down here. Don't know if they are still using radar when the vehicles are moving. It is very accurate as they line up the crosshairs on you as opposed to radar which throws out a cone shaped pattern and requires visually seeing which vehicle is moving the fastest in case there is a larger/faster vehicle with you. He may have LIDAR'd/Radar'd you at 80 and paced you (followed in vehicle with calibrated speedometer) in his vehicle at 70. They will generally pace you without activating their lights so as to not give themselves away initially. CHP officers are traffic officers (not general law enforcement) and thus their qualifications are good when enforcing California Vehicle Code.

What is "trial by declaration?"

Posting your bail/bond first with the court and preparing a written statement of facts that is submitted to the court in lieu of a physical appearance. Works great if the officer does not remember anything or fails to produce his statement of facts in court.

As a past motor cop, I can yell you that Laser is LiDAR and it is for stationary traffic enforcement. He got you with a moving radar and when you use radar in moving mode you are required at least in Florida to have a calibrated speedometer. In Florida your speedometer has to be calibrated every 6 months and so does your radar unit. It is true that radar picks up the largest target and then usually the fastest. Any cop with any experience can easily determine the target of their radar based on the doppler tone of their unit. Also admissible in Florida court is a visual estimate of speed but usually only traffic cops feel confident testifying to that. In radar school I had to visually estimate 38 vehicle speeds out of 40 within 2mph with only a doppler tone to assist. My recommendation is go to court ask to see his certification dates on his equipment and know what California requires. If his logs and paperwork is in order ask to take a driver improvement course to with hold points and pay the fee and chalk it up to pay to play.

Also most states do not require the officer to show you anything at the time of the stop and there is no print out or memory on radar units or LiDAR.

What is "trial by declaration?"

LASC - Traffic

You have to send the ticket amount in bail, get it back if found not guilty. Automatic not guilty if the cops don't do their paperwork. In CA, you can still go to court, fight again, ask for traffic school, etc. if found guilty in a TBD.

Here in Los Angeles, LAPD and the LA County sheriffs often write BS citations against bicyclists "impeding traffic" when they're just trying not to ride in the "door zone". Every cyclist I know has lost going to court. Everyone I know has won at least 75% of the time, plus a few fine reductions, even when blatantly in the wrong using TBD.

Last edited:
A couple of years ago I was going to work on my scooter when I got pulled over for speeding. The cop told me that when I went by on my scooter doing 57 (in a 35) that he didn't believe his radar gun. He pulled out and followed me for a bit (I had no idea a cop was behind me) and finally pulled me over. He walked up laughing that he never pulled a scooter over before, and that he didn't believe his radar, he paced me at 54 in his car. He was a nice guy and all, told me he would just sight me for 54 in a 35 instead of 57 like the radar said, that kept it under 20mph over and no added wreck less driving charge. It also gave my scooter some serious street cred

I got pulled over once on my 1980 CM400 Honda that has a speedo only
up to 85 mph. He said I was doing like 87. When I passed the cop I was
doing like 75 and didn't even have the throttle pegged. The speed limit
was 45 so I was still speeding.

I took my bike down the highway after that and could not get it to budge
beyond 80 mph, even with the throttle pegged. So something was amiss.

It was stated that the posted speed limit was 65 mph. But, I still see nowhere in this conversation where the OP stated how fast he was actually going. Isn't that important?

As a past motor cop, I can yell you that Laser is LiDAR and it is for stationary traffic enforcement. He got you with a moving radar and when you use radar in moving mode you are required at least in Florida to have a calibrated speedometer. In Florida your speedometer has to be calibrated every 6 months and so does your radar unit. It is true that radar picks up the largest target and then usually the fastest. Any cop with any experience can easily determine the target of their radar based on the doppler tone of their unit. Also admissible in Florida court is a visual estimate of speed but usually only traffic cops feel confident testifying to that. In radar school I had to visually estimate 38 vehicle speeds out of 40 within 2mph with only a doppler tone to assist. My recommendation is go to court ask to see his certification dates on his equipment and know what California requires. If his logs and paperwork is in order ask to take a driver improvement course to with hold points and pay the fee and chalk it up to pay to play.

Also most states do not require the officer to show you anything at the time of the stop and there is no print out or memory on radar units or LiDAR.

I never worked a traffic position before but I know at the places I worked, the radar units were tested daily with two different tuning forks and factory calibrated on a regular basis. The marked units would have their speedometers calibrated at regular intervals as well. The traffic cops at the station always took their calibration certificates and speed surveys with them to court as well as rattling off their list of traffic/radar/LIDAR/accident training they received over the years.

Regarding visual estimate of speed, I've seen first hand how accurate an experienced traffic cop was at this. I would cover the radar display and watch this guy estimate speed within 3 mph. It was impressive.

I think the best defense will be.........explain your were on a scooter with a trunk......:D:D:D:D

Shouldn't be hard to find some "expert" whiteness from various motorcycle publications to testify that the NC isn't capable of doing 70 mph ;)

Yup we have to test radar units daily at the beginning and end of our shifts with tuning forks and a display test. LiDAR is tested daily using pre measured distances. These logs are supplied in court upon request. So usually if you are stopped by a traffic unit they know their stuff and usually appear in court ready to testify and win. It is a street cred thing amongst members of the unit.

Back