• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Got a speeding ticket this am

Osomxl

Reaction score
Visit site
Got a speeding ticket on the way to work at 4:20 am. Does anyone know what lidar/ radar chp is using in there new ford explorer cruisers?

Officer said he clocked me doing 80mph while oncomming and when he did a uturn across the highway and got behind me he said I was only doing 70mph.

I didn't even realize there was a chp officer and I think he came up behind me with no lights on as I didn't see him until he turned his red and blue signal lights on about 20 feet behind me.

I'm located in imperial valley California and haven't had a ticket in years. Plan on fighting this one by trial by declaration. I will be requesting laser/lidar certifications and officer qualifications. Anything else I should be looking at?

Got a speeding ticket on the way to work at 4:20 am. Does anyone know what lidar/ radar chp is using in there new ford explorer cruisers?

Officer said he clocked me doing 80mph while oncomming and when he did a uturn across the highway and got behind me he said I was only doing 70mph.

I didn't even realize there was a chp officer and I think he came up behind me with no lights on as I didn't see him until he turned his red and blue signal lights on about 20 feet behind me.

I'm located in imperial valley California and haven't had a ticket in years. Plan on fighting this one by trial by declaration. I will be requesting laser/lidar certifications and officer qualifications. Anything else I should be looking at?

Everyone just loves that sinking feeling you get when you see the red/blue lights in the mirror! My condolences!

If you were passing or being passed by a larger vehicle, some radars only pick up the largest object (I know a guy in Indy who has gotten out of numerous tickets by this claim). If he used laser, good luck.

What was the speed limit in the area you were in?

No judging, just curious as to what the usual wiggle room is, for going a wee bit over a posted limit where you are, if there is such a thing.

Unless they have advanced the technology lately, lidar can only be used while stationary and cannot be used through a window. Sounds like he was on the move so used Radar. Radar has some issues and can be successfully fought easier than lidar. Several sites have info on fighting Radar tickets.

Most states let you take a driver's safety course for a ticket every two years. I do not know the law in California. Call the court listed on the ticket and ask what is required to take the course, this way the ticket does not go on your record. This is the easiest way to not have the infraction on your record and avoid the insurance points.

i think the most pertinent thing, if the cop doesn't do his paperwork for trial by declaration, you win. They get paid going to court, often overtime, they don't get extra time for paperwork.

Posted speed limit of 65. Tractor trailers carrying farm goods and freight rarely travel slower than 70mph and most traffic traveling at greater speeds. Really caught me by surprise as in the afternoon most traffic is 70-73mph and chp/police don't even bother. Have had a prior ticket reduced by doing trial by declaration years ago.

You don't say how fast you were going. If you were speeding, then suck it up, pay the fine and move on with life. Don't lie and cheat. If you weren't, or the speed truly is not how fast you were going, then best of luck to you.

You don't say how fast you were going. If you were speeding, then suck it up, pay the fine and move on with life. Don't lie and cheat. If you weren't, or the speed truly is not how fast you were going, then best of luck to you.

I don't buy that. If the speed of traffic is flowing at 70-73, and he was going 70, why should he have to pay a fine? Keeping up with traffic (even moving a couple mph faster than traffic, which I find much safer) should not result in penalty.

I would never advocate lying, but I would certainly contest the ticket and do what I could to get out of it, short of lying or being dishonest.

I don't buy that. If the speed of traffic is flowing at 70-73, and he was going 70, why should he have to pay a fine? Keeping up with traffic (even moving a couple mph faster than traffic, which I find much safer) should not result in penalty.

I would never advocate lying, but I would certainly contest the ticket and do what I could to get out of it, short of lying or being dishonest.

The 70-73 mph comment was about afternoon traffic. He got caught at 4:20AM. He may have been one of the few vehicles on the road and that is why it was so much easier to spot him.

Really caught me by surprise as in the afternoon most traffic is 70-73mph and chp/police don't even bother.

If the speed of traffic is that, then that is your argument. Not making a bogus argument that the radar was inaccurate.

All I'm saying is that INDIVIDUAL RESPONSIBILITY needs a plug now and then.....

How fast did your speedometer say you were going?

Posted speed limit of 65. Tractor trailers carrying farm goods and freight rarely travel slower than 70mph and most traffic traveling at greater speeds. Really caught me by surprise as in the afternoon most traffic is 70-73mph and chp/police don't even bother. Have had a prior ticket reduced by doing trial by declaration years ago.

Radar always seems to favor larger masses. Some of the ones erected near school zones where I live have trouble detecting me when on any of my bikes, also the angle at which the radar comes in at will give "False" readings too. If it does not have enough surface area to reflect the beam back or most of it was deflected elsewhere, then the readings will be off...

I would have to say that your "Friendly CHP Officer" got the passing vehicle's speed and singled you out because he's prejudiced towards motorcyclist, it's a possibility. ;)

Don't be too quick to judge. We don't know the whole story. Years ago I was completely boxed in by traffic yet I was the one that was stopped because I was driving a Firebird. The cops first question was how much I had to drink. I guess he didn't know I am a t-totaler :)

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

Is the cop going to show up in court with in-car video of the speed /radar gun and windshield view of the motorcycle moving much faster than the car traffic that was going 70 mph ???????????????

Just thinking ahead..........

OSOMXL..............bring cash............they might not take your check or VISA......again thinking ahead :cool::eek::):)

Last edited:
Back