• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Gentlemen (and women), I need your assistance in my decision

Terminal G

Reaction score
Visit site
Going to buy a new, or late model used, bike in January. Although I know you can't decide for me, I would greatly appreciate your input as I believe the NC might be the bike.

You see, I come from a long history of sportbikes; however, I am mature now and I honestly don't (and don't want) to ride sportbikes anymore. Don't get me wrong, I still love being pitched forward a bit but I just don't drive that "fast" anymore.

In the last few years, I have been on "sport touring" machines (Triumph Sprint, Honda VFR800).

So, I recently moved to CA and now I can "Lane Share." Very cool. I commute with my bike almost exclusively, so I have been looking to purchase a bike expressly for this purpose. When I say "commute," please understand that I don't go to the same place everyday. I am about to move to Sacramento, and on any given week I could have meetings in 4 different cities several hours apart. I generally need hard bags so that I can commute to the area, undress to my business attire, lock up the wet and/or bug-stained riding gear, and proceed to my meeting. Its a hassle, but one I am willing to endure to stay out of a car I suppose.

I like the the NC700x for its upright positioning (to aid in lane sharing) and the fuel economy; however, I am nervous about having only 40hp on tap.

So, for all you seasoned NC people, is this a bike you can spend 4 hours on? Does the limited HP adversely affect you in real-world riding? I wanted ABS, but I am not willing to pay an additional $2k for it - especially as it is tied to a DCT (even in my cars I prefer a manual transmission for some reason).

I am also looking at the DL650 (wee strom) as it comes with ABS. Its about $1k more, but I am willing to pay that for the ABS. I don't like the 19" front wheel, nor the looks of the little Strom, but a stronger engine (coupled with ABS) may persuade me.

Of course, then I say, "Screw it. I'm going with a brand new BMW F800GT!" Then reality (aka The Wife) slaps brutal reality into my head. I am trying to spend a total of $11k or less. I am willing to buy new or used with a warranty.

Oh, and I should add that I never, ever......EVAR....ride with a passenger.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
My last 3 bikes were a 2011 speedtriple, 09 zx6r and a 205hp drag/street hayabusa so i love hp and i now have the 2012 honda nc700s. Is 48hp enough? Yes, and i'm no lightweight at 120kg (260 pounds) and 6'6 tall. Other than a hard seat which i just cured with an airhawk, it does everything well. Goes harder than you might think with just 48hp but it steers brilliantly through the twisties (i've just about grinded off my footpeg feelers) and brakes quite well also. Suspension is adequate if you are looking to slow down a bit being a mature aged rider like myself!!! I've had mine for 4 months, 5000km or roughly 3500 miles and i love it. Buy one, you wont be disappointed. Cheers......

Hello G, I am going to see if I can help you.
See my replies in Red.

Going to buy a new, or late model used, bike in January. Although I know you can't decide for me, I would greatly appreciate your input as I believe the NC might be the bike.

You see, I come from a long history of sportbikes; however, I am mature now and I honestly don't (and don't want) to ride sportbikes anymore. Don't get me wrong, I still love being pitched forward a bit but I just don't drive that "fast" anymore.

The NCX is a little "pitched forward", a slight lean forward which is also "bad" because I kept sliding forward. Perhaps it is my riding pants and the seat cover textile mismatch.

In the last few years, I have been on "sport touring" machines (Triumph Sprint, Honda VFR800).

I personally love "motorcross" sitting positions for touring. You do have a bit of windblast after 120kmh, but I normally arrive fresher than sportsbike riders and HD riders. I cannot compare with a say Honda Pan Pacific or a BMW K1200LT, type of tourer. Those bikes are like a luxury campervan, can you take them up curves and twisties? I cannot , will not.

So, I recently moved to CA and now I can "Lane Share." Very cool. I commute with my bike almost exclusively, so I have been looking to purchase a bike expressly for this purpose. When I say "commute," please understand that I don't go to the same place everyday. I am about to move to Sacramento, and on any given week I could have meetings in 4 different cities several hours apart. I generally need hard bags so that I can commute to the area, undress to my business attire, lock up the wet and/or bug-stained riding gear, and proceed to my meeting. Its a hassle, but one I am willing to endure to stay out of a car I suppose.

I like the the NC700x for its upright positioning (to aid in lane sharing) and the fuel economy; however, I am nervous about having only 40hp on tap.

Ditto for the seating position. It is "the best".

So, for all you seasoned NC people, is this a bike you can spend 4 hours on? Does the limited HP adversely affect you in real-world riding? I wanted ABS, but I am not willing to pay an additional $2k for it - especially as it is tied to a DCT (even in my cars I prefer a manual transmission for some reason).

I have never spent more than 2 hours on the NCX. It does have a range of 400km which means I can go 4 hours at 100kmh. But I don't.
I stop after every 2 hours to rest my butt and give blood back to my aging legs.
Now. HP versus Torque.
A whole encyclopedia topic.
What you need is Torque for city-trips, mountain-roads.
What you need is HP for high speed runs, like 120mph constant for 2 hours.
Which do you need or do 80% of the time? Only you can answer that.
For me, the 62Nm torque (similar to a normal 650cc 4 cyc sports bike with 100PS) is more than sufficient.

I am also looking at the DL650 (wee strom) as it comes with ABS. Its about $1k more, but I am willing to pay that for the ABS. I don't like the 19" front wheel, nor the looks of the little Strom, but a stronger engine (coupled with ABS) may persuade me.

Buy the one which looks right to you. Although many say they will live with an ugly wife because she cooks great, I am sure you prefer a stunning redhead or blondie....they just look better.

Of course, then I say, "Screw it. I'm going with a brand new BMW F800GT!" Then reality (aka The Wife) slaps brutal reality into my head. I am trying to spend a total of $11k or less. I am willing to buy new or used with a warranty.

I'd buy a BMW over the little honda anyday just based on specs.
What makes the pivotal decision is COST.
Cost to buy, cost to maintain.
They are at least 20-40% more than the little Honda.
Do I have unlimited money? No.
Do you?
PS: I heard that the smaller cc BMWs are made outside Bavaria (Germany) and they have quality issues. Welcome to outsourcing and offshoring.

Oh, and I should add that I never, ever......EVAR....ride with a passenger.

Me too. NCX is has more than enough torque for solo ride with bags.

Any thoughts?

Good luck!
Joe

Not sure that I would like to be on the NC for 4 hours although others may find it fine. After the sort of bikes that you have been used to you may find it a bit underpowered but thatdepends on how important that is to you.
if you liked the VFR 800 but want a more upright riding position it's a pity that Honda do not import the crossrunner into the US at least I think that they don't

My last bike GSX1400, Bike before that BMW K1300s(175 HP std no mods).
Now the only road bike that I have is a Honda NC700s, Oh and comes std with ABS here. I bought this purely as a city commute. I travel approximately 1 hour to work and 1 hour home (peak hour traffic). So fuel economy and the ability to split traffic all good. If I had the choice of the bikes you are looking at I would go the BigMansWilly. We have a really nice F800gs. (Dual purpose) This would be the pick for me un-affordable for me at this point in time. The Suzuki is quite a bit bigger than the Honda not the bike that I am interested in.
Oh I currently own a Suzuki DRZ400e (road licensed) setup for off road riding!

So at the end of the day YOUR choice. If you have the coin Go with the best bike that you can afford to suite your needs. I would go a Beemer every time.
Speed and comfort BMW (OH by the way BMW made bikes before they made cars).
city riding and fuel economy Honda.
Suzuki why?
My 2 cents worth hope it helps
G

4 hours on the seat? You would probably have to modify the seat in some way.

All other questions, I would say an NC would be awesome. I love mine. I commute daily but I don't ride 4 hours either.

Hard bags- I love my Givi 52L, and 2 33Ls. With the frunk that makes 139 L storage. It comes in handy on the commute.

NC700x.jpg

I think the seat and less so the suspension are the only things keeping this from being a 4+ hour bike. Mine will see Labrador / Newfoundland this summer if I get healed up. The bike will do mid 13 second quarter miles. It is not a dog. Don't race for title and you should be fine. For lane sharing, I would have a top box (Gad! I said it!) and no side bags. When I commuted and had to look like a serious pharmaceutical executive, I wore an Aerostich with my biz clothes underneath - minus suit jacket.

I've done over 8 hours in the seat in a day and when wearing leathers I have had no issued with the seat what so ever.

When wearing textiles the seat is slippery and less comfortable, I can see where people are coming from when they complain about the comfort of the seat.

It is obvious by the replies that the seat needs work. I am replacing it with a new one. Other than that, I love the bike and come from and still ride much more powerful ones. It is a good match of torque and short shift transmission, you won't really notice the smaller hp output that much. When you go to fill the tank, you will be very happy.

Only had my NC a few weeks now, coming off a Tiger 1050 and Versys 650 (not unlike the wee strom) before that. I think you will have fun on the NC but will miss the power. Motive is the driving force here. The NC is all about sensible. If you can wrap your mind around the joys of being on 2 wheels and not expect grin inducing acceleration, it will manage to charm you. Fuel consumption helps. Regarding 4 hour rides, the seat is not great, but better than the Versys.. wind protection will also require attention. Suspension tends to be a little stiff and over dampened so your experience of this will depend on the quality of roads you are generally on. Other pluses are phenomenal stability and maneuverability at low speed and a bike that turns in faster than you even imagine. Ultimately the choice is extremely personal. Biking is all about enjoying your ride and not wishing you were on something else. I love my NC for the reasons that she is pretty, practical, sensible and affordable. I think those need to be your motives for the NC to work for you.

Thanks for the replies everyone! It seems that, for the cost, it is hard to beat. Would love to have the ABS, but I have only had one bike....ever....and never needed it.

I had a VFR800 and still have my ST1300. Lots of other bikes from 2 to 125 hp in my past. I ride about 25,000 miles a year for recreation so when I go for a ride it is usually 250 miles or more. 4, 6, 8, to 18 hour days have all been fun and I look forward to many more. I find the NC perfectly at ease at 70 to 90 mph on the interstate though like any bike it's much more fun on a twisty two-lane road. The seat is fine, the ergos are fine, the suspension is fine for me. I did a 1000+ mile Iron Butt ride in October without discomfort. To make my kind of riding possible I changed the windscreen to something bigger and added wind protection for my hands as well as heated grips. It makes a great "regional" tourer for the one to three states away type of long weekend touring I do. The 48 rear wheel horsepower is no problem.

The seat makes you slide forward, i took a knee pad from home depot and cut it to fill in the seat. to remove the slope, and just put the stock cover on it, much better for only five dollars. You could do like lee and update the fork and shock and have a fantastic do everything bike.

I would tell you to ride both bikes, and buy the one that works best for you, we sell both the nc and the dl650 they are both good bikes.

Back