• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Gas can experience anyone?

gaffer49

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm considering an adventure here in N. California going from where I live in Silicon Valley down as far as Paso Robles using only the back roads. The other day, I scouted out part of the route by car and checked out some of the road conditions, etc. The trip would be over 350 miles and for much of the journey I would be in the middle of f**king nowhere, only beautiful green hills (kind of like those Scotland videos we've seen). No towns, no gas for miles and miles. It would be safe if I took some extra gas, and was wondering if anyone has experience carrying extra gas on a bike. I do have a trunk on the back of my NC700. Any suggestions or experience would be helpful.

you can always strap some rotopax one gallon containers on the bike. i have Ben in in mexico with four one gallon containers on my belt, plus four gallons in the bike to be able to mark the course and run all night. that's why i just made a aluminum fuel tank that replaces the rear seat, it holds two gallons. i am testing, this week end for fuel range. it auto feeds into the main tank, i will post the tank and fuel range next week.. dale

you can always strap some rotopax one gallon containers on the bike. i have Ben in in mexico with four one gallon containers on my belt, plus four gallons in the bike to be able to mark the course and run all night. that's why i just made a aluminum fuel tank that replaces the rear seat, it holds two gallons. i am testing, this week end for fuel range. it auto feeds into the main tank, i will post the tank and fuel range next week.. dale

I agree with the Rotopax. I usually carry a MSR fuel bottle or two in my side case. If I take it easy, I can get close to280 miles out of the tank. The two MSR bottles can get me about 60-80 miles more.

I went to the top of Alaska and the Northwest Territories and never saw a gap over 300 miles for gas - and that was infrequent. I am making RotoPax brackets to mount one 1-gallon can each in front of my sidecases resting on the passenger footrests. I decided against permanent gas capacity as I had on my BMW for reasons of weight, CG, and the fact that I didn't need it on 90% of my travels. The footrest storage will be even lower on the bike than the main tank and easy to remove when not in "expedition mode".

"No towns, no gas for miles and miles."

In California?

Believe it or not there ARE isolated portions of Central California in which there are no towns for miles and miles. If you don't believe me try going on Google maps and follow Hwy 25 from Hollister south. You will find well over 300 miles of road with no gas stops.

Thanks for those who made suggestions. I appreciate it.

joe

I used an adjustable quick-release strap to attach a 2 gallon plastic gas can to my NC, and it worked out well.

I suggest putting something on to protect the "ducktail" of plastic immediately behind the passenger seat. On a long road trip,
dust worked its way underneath the cloth I used to cover this area. All the small vibrations and movements from riding 2300 miles
caused a bit of scuffing on the surface of the plastic. Nothing major. Its only noticeable if you look closely.

Next trip, I will cover this area with clear packaging tape. There's no way for dirt to get under that! (I hope)
When you don't have anything strapped over this area, you can just peel the tape off and no permanent effects
are left behind.

Last edited:
Hi Beemerfile. Your footrest idea for extra fuel sounds ideal. I hope you post your solution, I am planning to do some adventure riding this summer.

Back