• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Fuel stabilizers

drdubb

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I am having some surgery and the NC may sit for a couple of months. Any recommendations on fuel stabilizers?

Sta-bil. Works well, easy to find, simple to dispense/use. Other options that I know work well are all much more tedious to get.

I purchased a 2005 FZ1 in 2012 with 2600 miles on it so it was fairly bunged up to say the least. I ran Sea foam, Gumout multi and Lucas fuel treatment. After about 10 fill ups I stuck with the Lucas because it undid all those years of neglect and still keeps my fuel fresh. I know these three work just make sure when putting the NC up you run the stuff into the pump and injectors. And if you are near a marina you can also get some non ethynol fuel. Hope the surgery goes well.

I use Sta-Bil. I have absolutely no proof that it works. But it seems no one has proven that it doesn't work. The NC, being fuel injected and not carbs, should give you no problems. I've used fuel 6 months to a year old and it still burns and the machine still goes.

Last edited:
I have used stabil and seafoam on mower, boat, and tractor. No problems, but it could be the placebo effect.

I use the Marine version of Sta-Bil. Supposedly formulated for ethanol blends. I had boats for 40 years and many boat owners, myself included, swear by it. I used to add it to every 5th or 10th tank of fuel to break up any water. I don't use it much anymore except in my 1986 Elite 80 scooter which might have the same fuel in it for months at a time. The rubber parts in the old scooter's fuel system were not designed for 10% ethanol blends. The newer bikes don't have any trouble with it. Still, if I expected a bike to sit for a while I'd dose the fuel tank. It doesn't hurt anything.

If it's only a couple months, just run the fuel low and top it off with fresh gas before you ride it.
Mine sat for a lot longer without a problem.

Be sure to start it a few times to keep the battery charged or put a battery maintainer on it.

I have a totally unfounded suspicion that this stuff is similar to the consumer scam a lot of us fell for 25 or 30 years ago with Slick 50 oil additive.
I have never seen a need for Sta-bil and I have gas in my Honda power washer and Coleman generator that gets exercised about every 6 months.
I have never had any issues whatsoever with hard starting or poor running, even in my 351ci V-8 Ford powered boat.
That has been MY personal experience.
YMMV

Another Sta-Bil user here. I also fill up the tank with the highest octane no ethanol fuel I can get. (Usually Chevron 94)

Have stored some bikes for years at a time, and never had a problem starting back up.

I have a totally unfounded suspicion that this stuff is similar to the consumer scam a lot of us fell for 25 or 30 years ago with Slick 50 oil additive.
I have never seen a need for Sta-bil and I have gas in my Honda power washer and Coleman generator that gets exercised about every 6 months.
I have never had any issues whatsoever with hard starting or poor running, even in my 351ci V-8 Ford powered boat.
That has been MY personal experience.
YMMV

Agreed. I use Stabil, but I'm skeptical. Engines always start whether I use it or not. I have never seen a scientific test done on it that either proves or disproves it's worth. The general public opinion is that it's great stuff. But does anyone really know?

At one time I occasionally used Seafoam, but now that they're fixing the price and keeping the price sky high, it's off my list.

Last edited:
over a couple seasons of no use i still use nothing -- not in carburetor machines, not in fuel injected ones. though with carb'd machines i try to run the float bowl dry if i know i'm going to let the machine sit.

over a couple seasons of no use i still use nothing -- not in carburetor machines, not in fuel injected ones. though with carb'd machines i try to run the float bowl dry if i know i'm going to let the machine sit.
The main thing on carb machines is to turn off the gas.
My brother turned on the fuel for my dirt bike and tried to start it. Then he walked off without turning it off again.
The jets were totally clogged by the time I got it out again.

The main thing on carb machines is to turn off the gas.
My brother turned on the fuel for my dirt bike and tried to start it. Then he walked off without turning it off again.
The jets were totally clogged by the time I got it out again.

Turning the gas off is only the first step with a carb. The carb must be drained or you are far more likey to have problems. (As geenboy said)

Fuel going bad is NOT a new problem. It's just more of a problem with ethanol fuels. Gas gone bad paid my college tuition ( summer job at a motorcycle dealer ,small engine shop) many years ago and bad fuel is a main stay of any repair shop today.

Fuel injection is more tolerate of fuel going bad......but.......when it does go bad it gets real expensive real fast.
With carbs the the small amount for fuel in the bowl can go bad real fast especially in hot humid conditions.

Doing nothing to winterize or properly store an engine is a gamble, you might get lucky or might not.
Rust is a real concern with a metal tank, so full tank with treated fuel is often the recommended solution.

I used Stabil for years........and......have seen the effects of not using a stabilizer.

As far as Sea Foam.......its naphtha, pale oil and alcohol as per the MSDS. You can decide if these are helpful or needed things to add to you fuel.

Last edited:
Sta-bil Marine - The blue stuff.

Or, Startron (also blue)

Both neutralize the ethanol. Starting in Oct, I put an ounce of one of those plus an ounce of Lucas fuel treatment in at every fill up. I stop in March or April when I'm filling up again regularly. My cans at home get mixed with those year round. I have never had any kind of fuel issue in anything that uses gas. And some things sit for a year between uses. During a mild winter my snowblower might go nearly 2 years.

It's a lot cheaper than a rebuild.

Last edited:
Turning the gas off is only the first step with a carb. The carb must be drained or you are far more likey to have problems. (As geenboy said)
There isn't enough fuel in the carb bowl to cause any problems.
My problem came from over a gallon of fuel evaporating out of the carb.

There isn't enough fuel in the carb bowl to cause any problems.

Let's beat the dead horse a little more:
Sorry.......but........you are dead wrong on this ^^^^^^^^.....but.......again everyone can choose their own storage methods with all the risks and rewards.

As a point of reference the pilot jet ( aka slow jet) is .035mm diameter or smaller and is the first to plug with the smallest amount for crap left when the fuel goes bad evaporates. The main jet sits at the very bottom of the bowl and grows the "fuzz" as the fuel goes bad even with the fuel shut off:

image.jpg

Fuel Treatment Advice For Small Engines in Lawnmowers and Snowthrowers

Last edited:
while ago i bought a seized bike from gvt auction. poor thing (top of the line CBR600RR) been abandoned under the sun,no cover or anything for 2+ years. battery was dead and i'm sure no one ever tried to start it. i'm also pretty pretty sure there is no stabilizer in the tank. bike started right up and and never give me any trouble. on other hand-afer adding stabil to NC (and our mercedes) i clearly see that both engines running "rough" compared to regular fuel without any additives. my opinion-f** it.
to OP-two months wont do anything. just fill it up. less air-the better.

Nearly 97% of U.S. gasoline contains ethanol, typically E10 (10% ethanol ... It is also known as ethyl alcohol, grain alcohol, and EtOH). Ethanol fuel is ethyl alcohol, the same type of alcohol found in alcoholic beverages, used as fuel. It is most often used as a motor fuel, mainly as a biofuel additive for gasoline. No stabil is in my opion is every effective over 30 days when used in a motorcycle. When used in my stomach, over night!!!!!

Let's beat the dead horse a little more:
Sorry.......but........you are dead wrong on this ^^^^^^^^.....but.......again everyone can choose their own storage methods with all the risks and rewards.
That article you linked to spends a lot of time talking about bad fuel.
Old degraded fuel can certainly clog the jets on a carb. That I am in total agreement with, especially on engines with no fuel filter.
As the fuel degrades it creates a nasty tar like substance and it doesn't burn as well.
But that takes more than a couple months.

I do let my lawnmower run completely dry at the end of every season. But that's about bad fuel.
And I do run my portable generator at least every 6 months and let it run until it dies after turning off the gas. But again... it sits 6 months at a time and I don't want bad fuel left in the carb.
FWIW, I have probably let a bike run until the motor dies after turning off the fuel if I'm going to park it for a while.
But I don't think I've ever done that with my WR and I've had it 16 years.

I had an issue with rough running between 5th and 6th gear and I realized that at times I had let this bike sit for four months without running it during the last couple of years so I tried some Lucasoil fuel injector/carb cleaner and I actually believe that it has helped. Of course this could also be a case of wishing for something hard enough until you get it. Anyhow, it works for me. I even have a solution to engine noises that sound suspicious--get better earplugs. (just kidding on that last one)

Back