• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

flaw

bdeyes

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all, at the end of last riding season I noticed the left side windshield mount flexing more than the other side. I attempted to look at it over the winter but wasn't sure of the body panels removal. I assumed the the mount bracket bolts were loose and was going to red loctite them to solve that issue. After watching the madstad video on panel removal I attempted it today and succeeded in exposing the windshield mount bolts - and they weren't loose. The mount is welded to a hollow tube and the tube is cracked - this tube is paper thin and given the location not an easy fix so I think even welding is out of the question. This tube is welded to the frame and looking at it I don't think even a dealer would be able to repair it. I have a taller than stock windshield, I had the same shield on my 2017 for a years with no issue. This is a 2021 750 dct, love the bike but now with this issue I'm going to be creative. Did honda cheap out with quality? I'm thinking I will get a piece of snug fitting doweling to insert into the tube and coat the cracks with liquid metal. I'm afraid to keep riding as if this completely breaks off I'm screwed. People putting higher screens on - be aware, not sure of what years this applies to. FYI

The frame was supposedly changed and lightened for 2021 compared to prior years. Honda claims to have shaved over 11 pounds overall weight off previous models. Thanks for reporting the problem. We’ll see if any more examples of breaking frames show up.

I was curious about what you were describing so I looked on the parts list for the frame and didn't see what you were describing. Then I checked the windshield fiche and think I found the tubular structure you were talking about. It's called a stay. It can be unbolted separately from frame. Price is about $180. It's part #1 on the diagram here. https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/hon/603fb94587a866129042f08e/front-cowl
Could you take a look and confirm?

I was curious about what you were describing so I looked on the parts list for the frame and didn't see what you were describing. Then I checked the windshield fiche and think I found the tubular structure you were talking about. It's called a stay. It can be unbolted separately from frame. Price is about $180. It's part #1 on the diagram here. https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/hon/603fb94587a866129042f08e/front-cowl
Thanks for the info. - not sure, I will have to do a better inspection. Going to do that tomorrow or at least start. If it is the correct part, it looks like a pia to change. Just getting to see the brackets was bad enough. Would a new one last any longer? I only have just over 8k on it and don't want this to be a regular thing. Maybe it should be called stay away!

For the benefit of others that may want to watch out for the problem on their motorcycle, exactly what “taller than stock” windshield did you have mounted when the frame tubing failed?

For better or worse I applied metal epoxy to the cracked area. I want to ride the damn thing. I took a few pic's and a video before I applied the epoxy in case it fails again. Not sure if I can post video - it's 31m but would upload if confirmation deems it possible.

Yes that looks like the area just to the left of #9 in the pic.

Update - took it to my local dealer, they took info. and forwarded to honda and as expected it's not "covered under warranty". I don't have a warranty - bought it used with 39km. on the odometer. Maybe next step should be transport Canada, I shouldn't have to be forking out $500 or so to have this replaced. I look after my stuff - always in a shed, never dropped or ridden hard. My respect for honda took a hit and maybe I will be thinking of an alternative, although I love the dct so much, it's the principle of the situation.

Update - took it to my local dealer, they took info. and forwarded to honda and as expected it's not "covered under warranty". I don't have a warranty - bought it used with 39km. on the odometer. Maybe next step should be transport Canada, I shouldn't have to be forking out $500 or so to have this replaced. I look after my stuff - always in a shed, never dropped or ridden hard. My respect for honda took a hit and maybe I will be thinking of an alternative, although I love the dct so much, it's the principle of the situation.
My take, answering the question in the first post, is that Honda possibly did cheap out on quality on ‘21+ models. But, it was adequate for the OEM windscreen. With an aftermarket screen in place, Honda has no responsibility.

My take, answering the question in the first post, is that Honda possibly did cheap out on quality on ‘21+ models. But, it was adequate for the OEM windscreen. With an aftermarket screen in place, Honda has no responsibility.
I agree so another brand may be the answer. This is mostly for others that do change their screens - beware. This is not my fault either, having the exact screen on my 2017 nc750 for 3 years, I never dreamed there would be an issue at all. I put the stock screen to go to the dealer and boy it sucks, couldn't wait to change it back. Do they have a disclaimer at purchase that states any non stock parts void warranty?

Last edited:
I agree so another brand may be the answer. This is mostly for others that do change their screens - beware. This is not my fault either, having the exact screen on my 2017 nc750 for 3 years, I never dreamed there would be an issue at all. I put the stock screen to go to the dealer and boy it sucks, couldn't wait to change it back. Do they have a disclaimer at purchase that states any non stock parts void warranty?

How did you end up resolving this? I have the same exact problem with my madstand windshield. Video is here:

I am starting to regret not spending the extra money to get a more complete bike rather than changing the crap quality of Honda builds. I have changed the seat, the foot pegs, the windshield, and the battery. The bike has less than 3k miles and I was getting ready to buy rear rack and panniers, too. The crappy body position with the foot pegs right below the seat means I can never resolve the knee bending (after putting foot pegs a little forward). Now I find that Honda has mounted a piece of crap subframe then needs welding again at best. I stayed away from their cars and now I am learning to stay away from their bikes too.

Exactly the same issue as mine. What I did was place a split collar on the inside frame, then drilled a small hole through the bracket into the collar and drove a split pin through the bracket into the collar. It did seem alot better - I've used it all summer but want to add a second hole and maybe tap the holes for a bolt. I haven't inspected it yet but I am thinking the hole where the pin is may possibly be oblonged. I agree that this is a defect but I'm sure they will claim it wasn't the stock shield so tuff luck. That being said I have a honda car and has been trouble free since I owned it.

That may be true but how many owners even on this forum, leave the stock shield on? Why cheap out on a important part like this and alienate repeat customers?

How did you end up resolving this? I have the same exact problem with my madstand windshield. Video is here:

I am starting to regret not spending the extra money to get a more complete bike rather than changing the crap quality of Honda builds. I have changed the seat, the foot pegs, the windshield, and the battery. The bike has less than 3k miles and I was getting ready to buy rear rack and panniers, too. The crappy body position with the foot pegs right below the seat means I can never resolve the knee bending (after putting foot pegs a little forward). Now I find that Honda has mounted a piece of crap subframe then needs welding again at best. I stayed away from their cars and now I am learning to stay away from their bikes too.
Its a shame you are having issues with your bike. I have a 2021 NC 750x also ( my 13th Honda motorcycle since 1966) In the next 2 weeks I will turn over 38,000 so far trouble free miles while being ridden year round in every imaginable weather condition. Still on the stock seat, still on the stock footpegs, still on the stock battery. I do swap out the stock shield for a lower cut one in the summer, and a slightly larger Givi one for winter, but it bolts to the stock Honda windshield brackets and it has given me no issue. Been another great Honda motorcycle for me so far. The other bike in my garage right now is a 2014 Honda CB 1100 I bought new and have put 74,000 trouble free miles on.

As far as Honda cars, I think my wife and I have owned 3 Accords, 2 Civics, 1 CRV, 1 Ridgeline, and 1 Odyssey, we have driven over a 1 1/4 million miles combined with very few issues and nothing major. I know 2 of the Accords and the CRV were driven close to 300,000 miles each, both Civics over 200,000 each, and the Odyssey over 150,000 miles.... same motors, same trans, same clutches on the manual shift ones.

Can't imagine owning a car that isn't a Honda... although I would consider a Toyota.

Oh, I also have a Honda quad that has been a reliable snow removing workhorse going on 9 years now.

Back