• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Flat over 17

motocommuter

Reaction score
Visit site
Got a flat going over highway 17. It was about 5 in the morning and every turn was getting harder to maintain lane position. Slowed and pulled over at the summit. 12 psi left! The plug I put in when new finally had enough. Gave no warning, held perfect pressure for 6k miles. Turned around and limped to every gas station along the way home. Had to get the car. Oh well, enjoyed a warm cup of coffee and worked for free. Glass half full. Could have been worse.

Got a flat going over highway 17. It was about 5 in the morning and every turn was getting harder to maintain lane position. Slowed and pulled over at the summit. 12 psi left! The plug I put in when new finally had enough. Gave no warning, held perfect pressure for 6k miles. Turned around and limped to every gas station along the way home. Had to get the car. Oh well, enjoyed a warm cup of coffee and worked for free. Glass half full. Could have been worse.

Glad you didn't go down or something.... Good outlook on life!

What is everyone's opinion about a plugging a tire?

I went in this weekend for my first 600 mile service and got a call that there was a nail in the rear tire. The tire only has 650 miles on it. They plugged it with a mushroom plug from the inside out. The service adviser said that I should be fine and will last. Meanwhile I was willing to buy a new tire except they didn't have the Metzler Z8's in stock. So I figured that I would let them plug it so that I can get home and then order the tire and have it installed next week. Then I am thinking that maybe the plug is fine to ride with?

So I rode about 300 miles after the service and avg about 75 mph when riding with the tire plug.

I guess my concern is, should I be worried? If this was my sportbike, I would get the tire replaced. Something about riding on a tire plug is unsettling.

What do you think? Thanks.

It's all anecdotal, but I read in posts on this forum that the "plugs" can last for thousands of mile. I can't sight my source on this, but some folks say they wear out the tire before the plug gives.
It seems just about as safe as waiting to run over another nail, anyway.
I carry the string type plug, and I plan to trust it completely when I finally have to plug a hole that way.
Tires are EXPENSIVE!

What is everyone's opinion about a plugging a tire?

I went in this weekend for my first 600 mile service and got a call that there was a nail in the rear tire. The tire only has 650 miles on it. They plugged it with a mushroom plug from the inside out. The service adviser said that I should be fine and will last. Meanwhile I was willing to buy a new tire except they didn't have the Metzler Z8's in stock. So I figured that I would let them plug it so that I can get home and then order the tire and have it installed next week. Then I am thinking that maybe the plug is fine to ride with?

So I rode about 300 miles after the service and avg about 75 mph when riding with the tire plug.

I guess my concern is, should I be worried? If this was my sportbike, I would get the tire replaced. Something about riding on a tire plug is unsettling.

What do you think? Thanks.

Everyone will have their opinion on this, but if the main tire carcass was undamaged, the puncture was small and nowhere near the sidewall, I would be fine with a mushroom plug or a plug/patch installed from the inside.

Most service advisors would not say it's OK simply because they don't want to be held liable.

Greg

Everyone will have their opinion on this, but if the main tire carcass was undamaged, the puncture was small and nowhere near the sidewall, I would be fine with a mushroom plug or a plug/patch installed from the inside.

Most service advisors would not say it's OK simply because they don't want to be held liable.

Greg

Yes the nail was just a little off of the center line of the tire.

Thanks for the feedback and I concur that there will be varied opinions.

It seems just about as safe as waiting to run over another nail, anyway.

Great thought! Your comment made it all seem crystal clear. If the plug worked loose, I could get a flat. If I hit another nail, I could get a flat.

Greg

Good point, Greg. The mechanic might think it was just fine to go with the patch, but he wouldn't want to be responsible for any other advice than "replace the tire".

Great thought! Your comment made it all seem crystal clear. If the plug worked loose, I could get a flat. If I hit another nail, I could get a flat.

I think my main concern was that the tire might blow out. If it is a slow leak, then I can deal with that. Same as getting another nail. Thanks.

I think my main concern was that the tire might blow out. If it is a slow leak, then I can deal with that. Same as getting another nail. Thanks.

if the plug failed, it would have much the same effect as the nail you ran over.... the tire would go flat slowly.

I'm trying to think what would cause a blow out on a modern tire... hmmm... how about wearing the tire out beyound it's recommended limit and going up a concrete curb and high speed? (I'm not being funny here by the way)... think about what it would take to get a motorcycle tire (or any tire) to "Pop" or "blow" the way a balloon does.

have had mushroom plugs fail on steel belted bike tires inside patches and inside plug patches fail BUT never had a string plug fail..

I'm kinda looking forward to that first [successful] flat tire and string repair. I've got the little pump that hooks up to the cigarette lighter port stored on my bike along with the tools and strings patches... I'm ready..... I think... All that gear fits inside the False Air duct on what used to be the gas tank... waiting... until I need it!

Perhaps I've been lucky, but over the past 30 years and about 500 thousand miles, zero flats of cars and motorcycles. Before that, it was only buying used tires as a teenager and early twenties that provoked issues. This morning I woke up and had flat on a car tire. Hauled it two miles on a bicycle to the only repair shop in town and found a screw driven into the tire. The shop guy said plugs are way better than they were 20 years ago. They did not dismount the tire to patch it, just a plug. Twenty five bucks! They didn't even have to take it off the car. But the only game in town.

So this thread concerns me some. But I think I'd rather find a service than try fixing motorcycle flats on the road. I need to call AAA to find out if my membership has any motorcycle benefits.

This morning I woke up and had flat on a car tire. Hauled it two miles on a bicycle to the only repair shop in town and found a screw driven into the tire. The shop guy said plugs are way better than they were 20 years ago. They did not dismount the tire to patch it, just a plug. Twenty five bucks! They didn't even have to take it off the car. But the only game in town.

I had a flat in a minivan tire a couple years back. Noticed it while the van was at home. Left the tire on the van, pulled out a nail, popped in a Stop-N-Go motorcycle mushroom plug (no glue needed). The tire went another 50,000 miles and never leaked a bit.

It's definitely a DIY job.

Greg

I'll look into it. But then there is inflating it on the road. You know, I don't even know if there are tubes in my NC! I'm guessing not since everyone is talking about plugs. If I ever have a flat, I'll consider running sealant.

WOW highway 17 is nasty almost always. I think a mushroom plug would be good because it cant pull back out.BTW my son now lives in Aptos,he has a classic 1985 nighthawk 650 and I hope to ride with him down there. Please let me know of any special rides you know of down there. I love the ocean!

if the plug failed, it would have much the same effect as the nail you ran over.... the tire would go flat slowly.

I'm trying to think what would cause a blow out on a modern tire... hmmm... how about wearing the tire out beyound it's recommended limit and going up a concrete curb and high speed? (I'm not being funny here by the way)... think about what it would take to get a motorcycle tire (or any tire) to "Pop" or "blow" the way a balloon does.

This is why we advanced to tubless tires. The old tube type tires would blow and all the air would run out along the spokes and the tire would go flat very fast if not immediately. Tubeless tires lose air only through the nail, so many times you find a nail in the tire while its still inflated and doing fine... progress! And IMHO I would trust the plug.

I'll look into it. But then there is inflating it on the road. You know, I don't even know if there are tubes in my NC! I'm guessing not since everyone is talking about plugs. If I ever have a flat, I'll consider running sealant.

Tubeless tires. That creates a problem, though, because, even with a pump, if you can't get the tire "bead" to seat on the rim, it won't inflate! However, it also means you don't have to remove the tire as you would if you had a tube in it.

I don't have the link at hand, but Beemerphile posted a lengthy description of how to carry all the tire changing gear you need including the air pump.
"Slime" make an air pump that will fit under the false "gas tank" panel on the NC700x. I keep mine on the left side along with a slime repair kit... the one that comes with the tool to ream out the puncture and push in the "string" sealer.

The pump is powered by the "cigarette lighter" power connection which is also pretty easy to install.
I haven't had to do it yet, but I've got all the gear to fix a flat ready.

I read on boards like this that injecting the chemical slime into the tire creates a big mess.... think I like the plug idea better.

Most times the tire can go flat and still not break the bead on the rim. I have a tire kit that uses co2 cartridges to inflate the tire after you plug it. Very light and easy to carry in the bags. I prefer the string type plugs myself, they take a little more know how to get them in but when done right, they will still be in the tire at the tire recycle plant...

This is a case where Ride On in your tire would have saved a lot of time. The hotter it gets, combined with the tire friction with the hot ground can make it real hot at the tire. Every tire that is has a plug is a gamble, with the odds in your favor. But on a bike the 1% not in your favor, can hurt!

Remember that tire plug tool made the hole a little bigger, and the next time it won't go down quite as slow.

Last edited:
Back